Let's talk about the hanna meters....

  • Thread starter Thread starter Troylee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Just got mine in the mail today. Wish I would have seen this thread. Can someone tell me the proper steps to use it? Do I put ten millimeters of water in both tubes? Put the first one in and push button. After thats done I put the packet in the other one shake up and put that in and push button and wait? Is this Right?

We've found that you have to just use one of the two for the whole test but yes fill it to the line put the lid on, open packet of reagent get it ready to pour in, push the button wait for C1 to show up then wipe the vial off with a soft towel microfiber or similar put vial in checker, press the button again and wait for C2 to show up,,,, now here's the fun part with a little speed hurry take the vial out open up dump reagent in put lid back on then tip upside down right side up do this quickly you don't have long then once the reagent has dissolved wipe vial off and put vial back In checker hold the button until the 3:00min timer comes up then wait (please post your results with tank conditions ie. Algae yes no media being ran ect.) hope this helps
 
We've found that you have to just use one of the two for the whole test but yes fill it to the line put the lid on, open packet of reagent get it ready to pour in, push the button wait for C1 to show up then wipe the vial off with a soft towel microfiber or similar put vial in checker, press the button again and wait for C2 to show up,,,, now here's the fun part with a little speed hurry take the vial out open up dump reagent in put lid back on then tip upside down right side up do this quickly you don't have long then once the reagent has dissolved wipe vial off and put vial back In checker hold the button until the 3:00min timer comes up then wait (please post your results with tank conditions ie. Algae yes no media being ran ect.) hope this helps

Thanks. I will post results tomorrow. How long do you have to pour packet in and shake?
 
Well I just got home and my frag tank has exploded with algae over night!!! Arrrr just what amino acids would do if there is over abundance of po4... Pulled out the meter and performed 3 separate tests all showed 0.00...
Sndodnenxiqlsn!383@/!:&/"!/$.!|!£{*~¥\•
 
Oh ya ronny... The frag I cut for ya :( rtn sometime today a tell tell sign of po4 IMHO nothing else was effected but that piece... No worries man I will cut another just give me a little time to make sure the colony is good.." not sure how long it has been captive"
2e4e770d.jpg

48d93e03.jpg
 
We've found that you have to just use one of the two for the whole test but yes fill it to the line put the lid on, open packet of reagent get it ready to pour in, push the button wait for C1 to show up then wipe the vial off with a soft towel microfiber or similar put vial in checker, press the button again and wait for C2 to show up,,,, now here's the fun part with a little speed hurry take the vial out open up dump reagent in put lid back on then tip upside down right side up do this quickly you don't have long then once the reagent has dissolved wipe vial off and put vial back In checker hold the button until the 3:00min timer comes up then wait (please post your results with tank conditions ie. Algae yes no media being ran ect.) hope this helps

Basicly this is the process I use also, except after the C2 shows up I take the vial out and put the regent in then I hold the button till the 3 minute timer starts counting down. I continue to shake/mix the reagent for 1 minute then replace it in the meter( always lining up the same mark) and close the meter and let it settle for the remainder of the three minutes. It does NOT read anything till it counts down to zero!!!

FWIW I have always had a 0 reading on Phosphates with several kits. API/Salifert/D&D merk/Hanna. I bought the Hanna because I questioned the results of the other kits.(I have had algea problems before. I do not have any now.) I run GFO/ROX carbon from BRS in their dual reactor. Also have been running NP Biopellets in a MRC1 For several months. I have modified the reactor for 1/2" tubing as I could not get the pellets to tumble with 3/8" original tubing.

Also, all the while I questioned the other kits I was always comparing testing with my friends Big Brother Hanna and always got a reading of 0.01.

So I am convinced that I Do have some Phosphates, but not enough to hurt anything and this checker is the easiest way for me to check if anything changes. I am pretty sure when my salifert Alkalinity kit runs out I will be getting the checker for that also!!
 
UGH troylee!!

Algae and RTN - never good together. Don't chop that thing up if you don't want to. Hate to see you lose the whole thing if you tick it off!

Have you tried after lights out measuring? I am going to try that in a couple hours so my lights have been off for about an hour. The only algae I have is growing in the sump. Just a couple little clumps of hair algae - don't know if it is because the sump is dirtier or there is nothing down there to eat it.
 
I've ran the salifert test and it shows zero as well.

I've never been a fan of the test kits for phosphates, as they don't give a true reading - typically not giving you an accurate snapshot of the phosphates you have.
 
Oh ya ronny... The frag I cut for ya :( rtn sometime today a tell tell sign of po4 IMHO nothing else was effected but that piece... No worries man I will cut another just give me a little time to make sure the colony is good.." not sure how long it has been captive"
2e4e770d.jpg

48d93e03.jpg
Grab yourself some brightwell's restor I've been using it for a while now I mix with tank water in a cup and dip the new frag in it seems to protect those delicate corals seachem reefplus works good as well just not as well
 
^^^ thanks for the heads up... I have brightwells coral restore but never used it as a dip... I just feed with it once in awhile... Interesting tip none the less.... No sweat Ronny my word is my word I will come through... Let me get it fully colored up and happy and then I will send you a piece...;)
 
thats sucks that everyone is having issues with the new hanna meter, I have my old one for 2 years and have had very good luck with it, but it is also finicky on the readings.

I buy two new vials every year
I store the vials with ro/di water in them
I always calibrate and test with the same vial
My tester has a notch in the cap, so the position of the vial remains the same from calibration to testing
I have compared my HANNA to Salifert and Elos really close results
I have never got a 0 reading

sorry to hear all the bad results, Hanna needs to step up to the plate on this issue.

get the bigger one with the case and you can test everyones water like me:wink:
 
Also on your eggcrate in your tank if you soak it in vinegar for 48hrs then in distilled water for 24 you'll get less algae growth on it eggcrate leaches po4 like crazy anyways worked for me
 
I've always heard that it Leaches po4 but couldn't find anything to prove it... Me being in the plastic industry find it really hard to believe that plastic could leach po4 but I have been wrong before... Mine is sealed pretty well with krylon anyways I painted it black lol...
 
I did my first test last night. It read .07. I feel it is correct. Very easy to use. I have not ran GFO for two months. I filled up my canister last night. I will do another reading monday.
 
Awsome thread trol...
I just got my Hanna in last week and got a chance to play with it, I was not able to get everything done in time and only use 1 vial
I had to use both in the test and got a .08
I kept running out of time when trying to use the same vial
I will try the shake till the 2 min's display, that should give me time to use the same one and if it shows different I will post up but I did get a .08 on my test
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.8%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new