Let's talk about the hanna meters....

  • Thread starter Thread starter Troylee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
If anyone has an account on RC. The rep's screen name is XP964. She was on recently...ping her if you can.

Time to dust off the old Salifert....well, it actually ain't too dusty yet! :tongue:
 
Do we know if anyone that works at Hanna is an aquarist that belongs to this forum??? If not maybe somebody should call them out!!!!
 
so does this mean round 2?????????????? same covet's etc.. are the same issues gonna arise??? same directions i see..... just got this off there site..
Marine-Alkalinity-hanna-checker.jpg

The only Saltwater Alkalinity Tester at this price!

  • Easier to use and more accurate than chemical test kits
  • Colorimetric method
  • Large, easy to read digits
  • Auto shut-off
  • The Checker HC easily fits into the palm of your hand or pocket
  • Use for quick and accurate on the spot analysis
  • Single button operation: Zero and Measure
  • Operated by a single AAA battery

The HI 755 Alkalinity Checker HC bridges the gapbetween simple chemical test kits and professional instrumentation. Chemical test kits are not very accurate and only give 5 to 10 points resolution while professional instrumentation can cost hundreds of dollars and can be time consuming to calibrate and maintain. The HI 755 Checker HC is accurate and affordable. The HI 755 Alkalinity Checker HC is extremely simple to use. First, zero the instrument with your water sample. Next, add the reagent. Last, Place the vial into the HI 755 Alkalinity Checker HC, press the button and read the results. It’s that easy.


Order Information:
HI 755 Checker HC is supplied with (2) sample cuvettes with caps, (6) powder reagents for Alkalinity, (1) 1.5V AAA battery and instructions.

  • Specifications
  • Accessories
  • Downloads
Range 0 to 300 ppm (mg/L) Resolution 0.1 ppm (mg/L) Accuracy + 5 percent of reading 5% ppm @ 25deg. celcius Battery Type (1) 1.5V AAA
 
Last edited:
Hey on the alk tester I just read on that other forum that there isn't anyway for the alk test to be accurate I'm not a pro though, uggh I already ordered one so I guess when I get it I'll go have the professor check it out by the way I pm'd XP964 so we'll she if she pulls through one thing that griped me is that they have changed the auto shut off time from 3 to 10min but they're not willing to trade out the ones people are having troubles with "sorry the ones that have already shipped I can't do anything about but the new ones this problem is fixed"
Hmmm great way to stand behind a product huh let's see if she is willing to come over here and help!!
 
Some one has to test the checker agents a Elos and a salfert. If this does happen to work this hobby will become alot easer for alot of people.
 
idk what to say i also have a lil egg checker and it also reads 0.00 all the time but then again i dose mb7 use ecobak and still run gfo so my numbers are correct i believe since ive also used the bigger hanna meter and it to read 0.00 so whats the odds of both meters being wrong?, i think most of the problems people are having is user error but hey i could be wrong
 
idk what to say i also have a lil egg checker and it also reads 0.00 all the time but then again i dose mb7 use ecobak and still run gfo so my numbers are correct i believe since ive also used the bigger hanna meter and it to read 0.00 so whats the odds of both meters being wrong?, i think most of the problems people are having is user error but hey i could be wrong

I thought the same thing. Chaeto, GFO, and now MB7/Vodka (ditched the GFO) and was getting 0.00 readings. I get <0.03 on Salifert too. But when I ran the 1.00 reference/standard test kit today and it registered 0.80, I was left wondering. I was VERY careful about cuvet cleanliness and exact timing and following of directions on my last few tests, including the reference/standard. To have a 0.20 deviation from a reference/standard is just not acceptable.

This was my 2nd time giving Hanna a chance. I have their Ph/ORP electronic handheld meter and I know, for certain, that it is horribly inaccurate despite myriad calibrations, resets, etc. (Ph is always about 0.3 - 0.4 low and ORP is always off by 100+) On the other hand, my Milwaukee instruments that I have from my cichlid breeding days are very accurate, consistent, and very rarely require calibration or adjustment. I still use them to this day and they are always very close to whichever calibration solutions I match them up against (Milwaukee, Hanna, GH, etc.). Just a tiny little adjustment here and there after sitting dry for long periods of time.

I've lost what little confidence I had in Hanna.
 
Last edited:
ThAt is unacceptable hope they start making all of this right or I see a downfall for a company wish this thread came about a week ago before when I thought I was getting the best thing in the world bleh
 
Great thread guys!

I too have a checker and even though I have algae everywhere in my tank I still get the same .00 tests as it seems everyone else is.
 
Ok so I tested a few different things
Tank .....0.01 all lights off for one hour was 0.00 lights on
Tap water 0.16
CR effluent 0.04
So hmmm what you guys think test other things see what you get
 
Ok so I tested a few different things
Tank .....0.01 all lights off for one hour was 0.00 lights on
Tap water 0.16
CR effluent 0.04
So hmmm what you guys think test other things see what you get

That sound like the kind of readings you'd expect go get.

Here's what I'm going to do tomorrow. I'm going to test my tap water with my Salifert test kit (yes, they work for freshwater) and note its reading. I find the Salifert to be quite reliable. I will then run the test with the Hanna. It's anyone's guess what we'll see.

Hell, maybe I'll do it right now. I'm bored.
 
LOL.....uh huh....LOL Oh Boy...what is it with these Po4 test kits eh? I just tested my tap water with the Salifert kit...guess what I got? <0.03 the lowest detectable range on the kit. Now I know Salt Lake has been rated as having the best water in the country, but Po4 below 0.03? No way.

K, I'm done, throwing up my hands, walking away from Po4 testing for a bit so I can get my head on straight.
 
Well I did some testing last night... I tried every variable mentioned in the thread from using only a single vial to the mark etc. And one time I got a reading of 0.01 every other time I got 0.00 even retesting the vial that had a reading..... Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.... *frustrated*
 
Well I used the same water in the same vial with the same mark etc... I tried both vials in different positions and couldn't get a reading....
 
Well, that is odd. I am kind of questioning the accuracy of these, especially with the base line tests reading so low. I may try to get a couple of those and see what I come up with.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new