let's talk about what info makes a good thread

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are my truths about posting threads.
when you try to be short and simple (and I have) when posting a thread, one is slammed, bashed, belittled mocked. etc, for not providing more detail, and so when I repost a new thread I try to appease all (more detailed pesrsons Included) people (that's respectful after all) but then you get no responses from people, even from the ones that ask for more detail go silent,

i am aware this is not tech support, but it's the first stop before you go to tech support right? we all ask friends and family about something (car sounds, funny noises from the washer, etc,) before we go to a professional. that's how I view this group, Imagine if you picked up the phone, called your friend, that owns every sports car known to man.. ha,, an ask " hey my car sounds funny" and all you get from them is call me back with more info. Then you call back an discribe the sound in detail and still you get a longggggg silence. you would be a bit ticked im guessing and just hang up.

it's just hard to get it right when posting something, so the question is what amount of info makes a good thread To help avoid long silences, ticked-off comments, or leaving the group altogether.

Last edited:

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree to a point but too often the details the poster in providing don't help.

Too many responders are obsessed with meaningless tank params. First thing out of their mouth is to ask for parameters and 90% of the time the OPs basic tank params are well within tolerance for sensitive corals.

Its information thats not so obvious that's important.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my biggest gripes is people dont put their budget when asking for equipment recommendations for their tank.
'what pump for a 525xl?'
'Abyzz are good pumps or maybe a Sicce'
'Oh they are too expensive for me'
Well let people know your budget, then people can better help.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info is good but people don't read giant posts. I recommend starting with your question and then adding details after. A while back one of the staff members wrote a great thread about this exact topic but I cant find it now. But this thread might be helpful

There is a little bit more info here (#8)

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info is good but people don't read giant posts. I recommend starting with your question and then adding details after. A while back one of the staff members wrote a great thread about this exact topic but I cant find it now. But this thread might be helpful

There is a little bit more info here (#8)

I generally glaze over long posts when there is too much detail and possibly multiple things going on.

Parameters...well....obviously it can be a good starting point, but many times it may not be accurate numbers based on the test kits used and what you are trying to keep.

I like to see tank size and types of corals being kept.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont seem to get many responses from my posts! Sometimes none at all, maybe I am doing something wrong. I shouldnt speak of other forums but there is one that loves to bully and harass people.

I got blasted and sent all kinds of memes because I dint follow someones advice when I asked for it! They were even sending vulgar ones and I followed certain members to the lounge and they were bashing the heck out of me in there! It was crazy, so I threatened to turn on of them in that would not leave me alone and she beat me to it, and got me thrown out for posting spam. Which I never did! I guess he/she knew that would do the trick but you think they would have verified it! That forum was about nano tanks...lol. I thought of creating a new name and going back but the people in there are just trouble makers. Sorry for the rant! LOL

This forum is way more chill but I did get a lot more responces to my questions in there. I am going to follow along on this post to see If I can learn better ways to post for more reply's! Happy reefing!

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that if you have an eye catching title, get right to the point in the thread, and don’t get too terribly into specifics in your first post, people start replying more and asking for more. If you just slam every little thing from the get go, no one is going to want to read it. And I know this isn’t information based, but another thing is time of day. If you post when America is not awake, active, etc, it’s not going to get as many views and replies (majority of members are from America that’s why I’m saying America)

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for heads up! I do like to ramble at times lol, so short and to the point!
I left a post asking how high of magnification

I need to get a dino ID and no responce yet and that was hours ago. I did add a few more questions to it as well lol so maybe to much was asked!

backinthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I agree with coming up with a catchy title that gets to the heart of your post. Trying to be short and succinct in your post is also very important - if I open a thread and it starts out with a very lengthy write up, I am less likely to read it through unless the topic is of high interest to me. I also find that pictures added to a thread or questions is very helpful :)

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important thing to remember when posting a thread is that Reef2Reef is vast and extremely fast paced. So when you receive responses it’s best to “Reply” to individual posters who respond, or “quote” multiple posters responses when you reply to them, by doing it that way they get a notification that you’ve replied. I think it’s very easy to get lost in the shuffle of traffic on here if you don’t personally engage your post’s audience this way. There’s been lots of times I respond to someone’s post and lose track of it because they never re-engaged me in the conversation.

Sometime people don’t respond because they don’t have an answer, or the question is so highly specialized that the person who might know the answer just doesn’t happen to see it.

As far as what catches people’s eye title wise, well that’s above my pay grade. I’m not sure I’m good at that either ;Hilarious

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back