leveling???

lwilliams8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys here I am again for advice. seems so often, lol. My aquarium stand isn;t perfectly level. I am afraid this is what caused my other tank to crack. It's no more than another 1/4 inch off. Ive read so much about how to level. It sits on a tile floor and I assume the floor is unlevel a little. Should I use shims?? Thanks in advance for any input. Oh by the way my new tank looks awesome and cant wait to get water in it but I want to fix this leveling thing first.

fishytyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used shims for my tank. its still not perfect but i cant hardly tell. i would try to level it prior to adding water. i used a dolly to lift up the tank so i can fit the shim.

OP
OP
lwilliams8

lwilliams8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used shims on mine that cracked last week. i was afraid thats what caused it but maybe not. i bought that tank used so you never know i guess. i read about using styrofoam but i just dont know about that. thanks for the input

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to shim mine. I shimmed the stand, that way the tank sits solid on you stand. If you shim between the tank and stand, make sure that you shsims run from one end to the other so you don't have you tank sag in the middle.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to shim mine. I shimmed the stand, that way the tank sits solid on you stand. If you shim between the tank and stand, make sure that you shsims run from one end to the other so you don't have you tank sag in the middle.

Thats why most use styrofoam cuz it level it all the way across without letting it sag. My tank now is done with shims but any tank that has been set up since it was set up with styro and any tank in the future will be using styrofoam

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
styrofoam between the tank and stand? I am so ready to set this thing up!!!

You can do it either way. If I can I put it under the stand on the floor unless there is trim around where the tank goes on the stand so you cant see the foam under the tank. To make it work you have to use pretty thick styro like 3/4. 1/2 might mork tho. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Eddie Baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you lay a piece of the building insulation-type of foam (usually blue or pink) on top of the stand, trim any excess, then lay the tank on the foam, you shouldn't have any trouble. It works on all sizes - we had a custom-built stand for a 300G in-wall that we couldn't get perfectly level, but the foam nicely took care of the rest. Definitely don't use old school wood shims between the stand and the tank for the reasons mentioned previously.

OP
OP
lwilliams8

lwilliams8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I went with shims on the floor, i have my water sand, and LR in there now, it is perfectly level. Looks good. The only thing is the overflow is so loud now. the overflow is drilled close to the top instead of the bottom. the U pipe is turned down with a piece of tubing going through the top. Never seen one made like this but I have read a lot of good reviews on this brand of tank. I used flex hose instead of hard plumbing. I'm thinking I may need to hard plumb I'm not sure.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Level dry is one thing, level wet is another. Check it again once you have filled it and see if it settled any. Check level across the front and from front to rear.

OP
OP
lwilliams8

lwilliams8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this overflow pump thing is driving me nuts. i hard plumbed the overflow with 1" pvc. Thought all was good now I just can't get it just right. I'm afraid my wife will say me or the tank one goes, lol. what was i thinking when I wanted one in the bedroom???

OP
OP
lwilliams8

lwilliams8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it wont let me. i put it on the narc yesterday so i dont guess i can here. I think i have it finally though after 2 sleepless nights. it is different though and kinda makes sense because if for some reason you were to lose the seal on your plumbing it couldnt drain down because it is drilled on top.

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the pics on the NARC forum, my tank is simular, it is drilled up high for overflow and return. On the overflow, I used a Tee instead of a 90*. This seems to have cut down on some of the noise. It still sounds like a fountain in a gerden just not very loud. I find it kind of soothing.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back