Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmtdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a custom Crystal Dynamics Aquarium built out here in Ca. Great company and awesome customer service. Tank is doing very well so far. They can customize it the way you need and were very helpful In regards to potential features I may need in the future for my entire setup (very detail oriented). Just an idea.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a custom Crystal Dynamics Aquarium built out here in Ca. Great company and awesome customer service. Tank is doing very well so far. They can customize it the way you need and were very helpful In regards to potential features I may need in the future for my entire setup (very detail oriented). Just an idea.
I was actually on their site earlier. Same guys located in San Marcos ?

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to hear this!! I wish you had a build thread for me to creep on :D How long have you had your Waterbox ?

I’ll probably start a thread soon! I just got the tank this week!

There are a fair amount of 100.3 builds going on in the tank section. Waterbox is a solid choice. Looking at the seams, I can’t imagine them busting and nice thick glass!

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems similarly priced as Waterbox and RedSea I’m looking at the 1500 series
Im in the process of remodeling my basement and then gonna order the 1800. I can show you someones build thread with the 1500 I believe so you can get a better look than advertising photos. The cabinet is way higher quality than any others I've also been looking at. Like the fact its got the outlets built into it as well.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the process of remodeling my basement and then gonna order the 1800. I can show you someones build thread with the 1500 I believe so you can get a better look than advertising photos. The cabinet is way higher quality than any others I've also been looking at. Like the fact its got the outlets built into it as well.
Lucky you! If I had the space for the 1800 I’d be looking at that as well. I would very much like to see that thread! :D

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FlexingFishSticks

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that interesting that both dealers were not advocating for the products that they carried. Why not?
The WB dealer did seem have another agenda for pushing the custom tank.

IMO, I would rather buy a regular tank and either build stand myself or get a carpenter to build it for me. Granted it won't come with the sump, plumbing, overflow, etc. But after building my 40b. I am very looking forward to building a bigger one in the future. It was a fun experience.
On this topic ya seam leaking pretty big issue but the stand has room to be reinforced with 2x4 on the inside does it not?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a tank built by Custom Aquriums. Customer service was great. They have a lifetime warranty if you use their stand. Which I am not! The build quality seems pretty dang good. Guess I’ll find out when it finally gets filled. The price wasn’t astronomically high either.
A little over 3,300 for a custom 72x24x28 tall.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have/had a Red Sea Reefer 170 as a store display. The back panel and side seam did recently seperate from the top down. I agree with the sentiment of people disliking their plumbing. It is metric and how it screws into the plate on the bottom of the tank is proprietary. I understand it is designed for ease of install, but if there is an issue there is no easy fix. That being said I feel any rimless tank has alot of pressure on those silicone seams. They do sell alot of tanks and some are bound to blow seams.

I have not played with any waterboxes.

If you want to spend the money just get a custom Reef Savvy and call it done.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a high end, made in USA tank, Planet Aquariums makes great stuff.

5 year warranty too.

#FACTS thats all i buy... and i love the Oceanic DNA

1596690652075.png

1596691417844.png

1596690691922.png

1596691325509.png

Last edited:

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience of water of but I own a Red Sea 350 and the quality is crap compared to what you pay. The biggest issues are with the low quality stand and plumbing.
Would not buy one of those again and as a matter of fact I have a custom tank coming in with a 10 year warranty on the seams, powder coated steel frame inside the cabinet etc.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you want an AIO...have you considered Innovative Marine? I have two of their tanks and I like them. The APS stand certainly won't fall over! IM also has a lot of sizes and dimensions to choose from.

I had a red sea but sold it. The plumbing...sump..and stand were just not up to par for cost.

Elmer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a Red Sea 170 and 350 now for 2.5 years. Love them both. It's a bit like IKEA: if you want a simple way of setting up something that just works (when getting into the hobby), this works just fine. So far I have had no issues, but it gave me the time to learn what I want from a tank. Next time a will probably go custom to get more flexibility and a stronger stand/seems. Not because they are failing now, but it would make me feel safer.

Garia666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea 250 the luxe system.
And the system is great it has 2 minor downsides not allot of space in the cabinet. As you have so Much electronica in your system these day’s an solution for electrics could be better.

And second is the solution for the RODI water. Occasionally it get cluttered so leaving the house for more than 2 days without supervision cannot be done.

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I am currently looking for a new AIO system. I originally wanted a RedSea tank! I went to my LFS who is an authorized dealer for RedSea showed mea large one they had on display. He told me that they are def the cleanest way to go and are gorgeous tanks. He pointed out a few issues he has with the one in the store and how it has minor leaks on by the rim and salt creep through the edges. I myself did my fair share of research and I ran into several threads about their tanks leaking through seams and silicone not holding well. Several threads on the stands not being able to hold weight and eventually getting crushed. I then ran into Waterbox which my girlfriend is obsessed with. They remind me of RedSea tanks although I haven’t found nearly as many complaints as RedSea. So I decided to visit another LFS that was an authorized dealer for Waterbox. They basically told me that both RedSea and Waterbox is overpriced garbage made in China. I was told that the stands would not support the weight of the tank for long and would fall apart after a few years which is why they don’t offer lifetime warranties on any of their products. I was told Waterbox has only been in business for 2 years and RedSea for 30 years but have only started to make decent tanks for the last 7 years. They suggested I order a custom built tank and stand with a lifetime warranty through one of their wholesalers. I felt like they were very anti Waterbox and RedSea at the same time they had some
Valid points. I can’t really speak from First hand experience on the quality and longevity of Waterbox or RedSea. I can only speculate based off of what I read online. I wanted to hear everyone’s input who actually longtime owners of these products and whether or not custom built is as superior as my LFS claims. Thanks for all
The replies in advance!

I love water box had many of there tanks no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back