Life reef skimmer versus Bashsea

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Christmas coming I need a new skimmer. Both Bashsea and life reef are in the running. What would u buy considering costs to run monthly QUIETNESS GOING IN Bedroom, EASE of maintence and every other factor. Which would u buy and WHY???

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using LifeReef for over 20 years but never had a Bashea so can’t provide a comparison. I do love the performance of my LifeReef though. The volume in this case will depend on the pump being used since that is flexible. I use ,one in combination with a Vectra M2. This one is 28” tall, simple, and easy to maintain.

PXL_20211209_194117965.jpg

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to look at the Nyos. I recently changed my RedSea out for a Nyos and couldn't be any happier. Extremely quiet, easy to tune, and does a great job.
And when I say quiet, I mean I can't even hear it when I'm working in my sump.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my lifereef! Never needs adjusting and works flawlessly. Minimal sound unless you take off the cover then you hear a sucking sound of the venturi. Its on my 120. Can't argue with those results!

Attachments

• 20211021_122914.jpg
    20211021_122914.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210423_185514.jpg
    20210423_185514.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211021_122858.jpg
    20211021_122858.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 30

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life reef is the way to go , lasts forever, ultra quiet , I only can hear mine when I take off collection cup lid

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak for Bashsea but can speak for Life Reef. Best money I've spent on equipment in this hobby to date. My skimmer purchase goes back to 2000 when I originally bought it for my 100 gallon system. It is still running today in 2022 on my 210 gallon display. Only thing that has changed is the pump I am using on it. I switched a few years back to a Neptune Cor.

I'm working on an upgrade now and will carry the skimmer forward yet again. Most reliable piece of equipment I've owned.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say that a local store by me carries alot of bashea products and the group of skimmers they have there are absolutely crazy looking. Build quality looks outstanding. That's where my experience ends with em.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just the fact that you can use any brand pump sealed the deal for me. It's as close to a set it and forget it as you can get in the hobby. I really don't know how lifereef stays in business with how reliable and long-lasting their products are. You can literally buy one skimmer and never have to change it or upgrade. It never becomes obsolete. It just works, period.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the fact that you can use any brand pump sealed the deal for me. It's as close to a set it and forget it as you can get in the hobby. I really don't know how lifereef stays in business with how reliable and long-lasting their products are. You can literally buy one skimmer and never have to change it or upgrade. It never becomes obsolete. It just works, period.

I honestly do not know. I called him before the upgrade asking about buying another. He asked me for my last name, looked at his records, verified the model, looked at what he had now, and said no. Keep what I have since the only changes he made are a couple quality of life ones that don't change skimmer efficiency.

I personally think it pays off doing a bit more leg work on expensive items like skimmers. Regardless of what brand one chooses it isn't something that you should have to replace. Sized properly with an upgrade considered it should last. Go figure. He could have sold me one but instead took the time, reviewed, made sure, and said nope.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bashsea is awesome. I fill 3 gallons every 2 weeks of dark skimmate. Is it quiet? Not really. But mines in my basement so I dont care. There is no comparison with a beckett skimmer. It performs. But it needs heavy duty pumps. Fortunately those pumps last decades. Never used a lifereef but im sure it works ok. But I wanted horsepower so I got a bashsea.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bashsea is awesome. I fill 3 gallons every 2 weeks of dark skimmate. Is it quiet? Not really. But mines in my basement so I dont care. There is no comparison with a beckett skimmer. It performs. But it needs heavy duty pumps. Fortunately those pumps last decades. Never used a lifereef but im sure it works ok. But I wanted horsepower so I got a bashsea.
Any photos of your Bashea setup , I am curious what it looks like installed .

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are venturi skimmers “trendy” now? I remember like 10+ years ago, people couldn’t give them away fast enough and replace them with EuroReefs (it was like the only needle wheel back then).

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are venturi skimmers “trendy” now? I remember like 10+ years ago, people couldn’t give them away fast enough and replace them with EuroReefs (it was like the only needle wheel back then).
The issue I find with needle wheels is that tlif the pump dies , you have to buy same pump which usually discontinues every few years .

Bashea, Life reef , MRC , you can use any pump you want so the skimmers have no limitations. I always ask why do most online retailers not carry venturi driven skimmers?

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue I find with needle wheels is that tlif the pump dies , you have to buy same pump which usually discontinues every few years .

Bashea, Life reef , MRC , you can use any pump you want so the skimmers have no limitations. I always ask why do most online retailers not carry venturi driven skimmers?

Gotcha. That logic makes sense. I think manufacturers probably make more money on the needle wheels for the exact reasons you describe. If you have to buy their pump (or better yet, replace the whole skimmer because they discontinued the pump), it's more money for them. :)

I would point out that there are some needle wheel manufacturers that (unlike Reef Octo etc) continue to support older models so you can at least replace a broken pump. Bubble King, for example, has never released a model that you couldn't buy a replacement pump for. Mine came with their Askoll pump, which is discontinued, but I could buy their replacement RD3 or RDX pump which are all compatible and perform just as well or better.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back