Light burn...what to do now

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost power for 24 hours a week ago. A few acro frags rtn. The survivors I may have gone too intense too quickly and burned the tips of a few frags. I have moved the burned frags to lower light. Also raised the light and started radion acclimation schedule at a lower starting point. Should I be doing anything extra to the burned frags? Should I tip the fried bony portion off? I’ve been dosing aminos almost daily in attempt to help. Dkh has been stable so I’m sure it isn’t a contributing issue.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

I'm not sure one day without light is cause for doing acclimation. I sure wouldn't. Photos of the coral may help get replies.

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature dropped to around 64 degrees for about 12 hours, then I slowly brought back to normal over next 6 hours. That’s why I’m acclimating, not just lights out.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I have a major incident, I find it beneficial to lower the lights a bit once the problem has been corrected. Coral will typically have a stressful time trying to deal with the same amount of light that they had before things went off-the-rails...at least for a while (especially SPS).

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would submit that the temperature is probably a bigger issue than the light.

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at the frags a bit I’ve noticed it’s probably a delayed response to the stress event. Tips are burned but there’s some stn at the base. Some have recession from both ends.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at the frags a bit I’ve noticed it’s probably a delayed response to the stress event. Tips are burned but there’s some stn at the base. Some have recession from both ends.
I agree on the delayed response. When I screw up, it often takes more than a week for the damage to become apparent. I also agree with the light acclimation. I don't know how much/whether you are dosing 2-part but keep an eye on your ALK. The sticks will really slow down consumption after a stress event, and 64 degrees qualifies as stress.

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recession seems to have stopped. I clipped off the dead tips. Hopefully things start looking up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back