Light mounting options and how-tos

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to mount lights. I have a 75g rimmed, sumpless system. So that means HOB equipment, which then makes me think I'm probably going to have to suspend whatever lights I end up with. I'd prefer not to hang from the ceiling though.

I was thinking there should be a way to mount something to the wall behind the tank and hang lights from that. Does anyone have a good thread/video on this approach? Suggestions for hardware that would be required? I'll probably use some kind of LED fixture.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to mount lights. I have a 75g rimmed, sumpless system. So that means HOB equipment, which then makes me think I'm probably going to have to suspend whatever lights I end up with. I'd prefer not to hang from the ceiling though.

I was thinking there should be a way to mount something to the wall behind the tank and hang lights from that. Does anyone have a good thread/video on this approach? Suggestions for hardware that would be required? I'll probably use some kind of LED fixture.
I mounted a shelf above my tank and hung the lights from it. Use it for tank supply storage so dual purpose.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted a shelf above my tank and hung the lights from it. Use it for tank supply storage so dual purpose.
That's what I was thinking. If not the full shelf, at least using a few of the shelf mounts. Could I see yours? Did you DIY it or find mounts for a deep enough shelf?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking. If not the full shelf, at least using a few of the shelf mounts. Could I see yours? Did you DIY it or find mounts for a deep enough shelf?
Mine is messy right now so don't hold it against me. I also don't use the lights I originally hung from it.

Attachments

• 16257638427448644376181638745938.jpg
    16257638427448644376181638745938.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 272

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the tank mounting kits that come with lights, but I mount them to a 4x 3/4 piece of lumber behind the tank and paint it black. Allows me to slide the lights around to where I want. If I want to go higher or lower I just cut the board or add shims.
16257714998335380674553778036651.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good ideas. I'm not 100% on which lights I'll be using. Probably either a pair of Radion xr30's or Kessil AP9X's. I assume the hanging kits for either are pretty similar as far as it being suspended by a few cables. Just a matter of figuring out what to suspend them from that isn't the ceiling.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, had I been thinking ahead, I might have been able to mount lights to the back of the stand, but alas, tank is full. Ain't no getting to the back of it now. ;Bored

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought some cheap TV mounts from Amazon and took the TV attachment piece off to screw my lights into. Attached them right to the wall, can adjust their placement, and looks really sleek in my opinion without having them get in the way at all.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some cheap TV mounts from Amazon and took the TV attachment piece off to screw my lights into. Attached them right to the wall, can adjust their placement, and looks really sleek in my opinion without having them get in the way at all.
Like an articulated mount? With an arm the TV can be swung around on?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pix ?:

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like an articulated mount? With an arm the TV can be swung around on?
Yes, I bought one of the smaller sleeker options and then took the flat piece that attaches to the TV off (it was just a single bolt), then replaced it with a bolt for my light. I'll post a picture.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back