Light Recommendations, Hybrid vs LED

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had planned on going with a Aquatic Life T5 hybrid + Reefi Duo Extremes for lighting on my new 108x30x24 but i was incredibly disappointed with the build quality of the aquatic life fixtures. Misaligned holes, cheap materials + screws, extension caps were only sold in black despite buying a white fixture and they told me to spray paint it (even though they were powder coated and it doesn't stick well). Just a terrible experience and I don't recommend anyone buy their product. I am now trying to figure out other potential options. I was thinking just Reefi's ( I already have 3 i've acquired secondhand) but i am afraid i won't get the coverage and growth I want without T5 supplementation. Can't seem to find any other great hybrid options either - geisseman is going to take forever to get here and seems pricey for just the fixture, ATI powermodule hybrids have pretty negative reviews on the LED part of the fixture, and i've been repeatedly told that just LED's aren't going to cut it for coverage on a tank my size. Feeling a little lost and would appreciate some help :)

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't see a lot of hybrid options because the industry is moving away from them. They make no sense.

The larger Philips and Orphek LED panels do a fine job of coverage on their own with the Orphek being used on some pretty spectacular tanks I've seen personally.

Strips like Reefbrites beat T5s all up and down in terms of coverage and PAR.

Look at BRS lighting showdown reviews and stop drinking the anti LED koolaid.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't see a lot of hybrid options because the industry is moving away from them. They make no sense.

The larger Philips and Orphek LED panels do a fine job of coverage on their own with the Orphek being used on some pretty spectacular tanks I've seen personally.

Strips like Reefbrites beat T5s all up and down in terms of coverage and PAR.

Look at BRS lighting showdown reviews and stop drinking the anti LED koolaid.
Sometimes I wish there was a "dislike" button on R2R. These kinds of responses are just unnecessarily negative.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While maybe a tad abrasive in delivery, he’s not necessarily WRONG.
Well to be fair, the same BRS light showdown he mentioned lists an aquatic life t5/hybrid as it's overall #4 choice out of like 30+ options... That being said their breakdown of light spread does make me feel better about solo reefi duos, and I might even build in some reefbrites in a custom fixture to help spread

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to be fair, the same BRS light showdown he mentioned lists an aquatic life t5/hybrid as it's overall #4 choice out of like 30+ options... That being said their breakdown of light spread does make me feel better about solo reefi duos, and I might even build in some reefbrites in a custom fixture to help spread

Whether it be t5’s, metal halides, or LED, I am of the camp that believes the best coverage comes from the widest array possible of both primary and reflected light sources. Big 20-24” or more metal halide reflectors, tank footprint covering t5 banks, or enough leds to cover the tank in either panels, or double the recommended puck amounts at the very least are necessary for optimal sps color development.

I don’t care how wide a tiny point source has the beam angled, when it only comes from one small spot, there will be shadows. Even if it can evenly illuminate a 36”x36” area. For that reason I tend to favor designs like Orphek, reef breeders, ati, Philips, or lots of reef brite strips as led design. Much moreso than the hockey puck sized sleek profile lights or even smaller panels like radions. Those are perfectly fine you just should really use twice as many as called for.

DrPterois

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usaría una lámpara ATI más dos barras reefbrite u orphek en cada lado.
el mejor crecimiento ocurre con T5HO y mh

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why use hybrid? Why not get an 8 bulb T5 and just supplement with the LED you want

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 AI Primes would cover a "tank that size"..
600W approx. $2400
May be a bit shy for 300 gallons.
NOTE need to run them on full or add more or switch to Radions.
In a sense it would produce a better panel than butt matching t5's w/ their sharp end drop off

2 hybrids w/ 6 ai primes.
732W. $1600.
AI 's are where one could save cost w/ cheap black boxes..Instead of $1200.. $400
872W

That said 2 8 tube 4' t5 fixures are a lot cheaper
and 864 watts.
No caustic lines, less shadowing (they go hand in hand really).

Step up in power is 3 400W metal halides.
3 250's sort of fall in the power field above.

T5 addition is more to flatten the light out than growth and coloration though adding say 200w of extra photons certainly doesn't hurt.
So depends if they are supplements or primary.

When added to MH's it is mostly for "blue pop" and a bit to flatten the look.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 AI Primes would cover a "tank that size"..
The latest AI Prime HD reef have fairly noisy fans. I have (2) Prime reefs in between (3) XR30 G5 and when the Prime fans kick on those (2) 55w AI Primes are quite noticeable, but so are the G5 fans.

If I were to redo these lights I’d go fanless with either Coralcare, Straton, or T5 with LED bars. The random, buzzing fans take away from an otherwise relaxing, serene scene.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm partial to kessil so I'd do the ap9x or the new 500s

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back