Lighting help with column tank

philcd01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a light for a 38 gallon column tank. Tank is approximately 24 inches high and 20 inches wide. Wanting something that is programmable (ramp timer, turn on and off and a moonlight setting) And that I can do a mix of corals with. Also looking for something reasonable price not wanting to spend 500 on a light. Currently looking into a Current Orbit Marine IC PRO in a 18-24 inch modle. But I do not know if it will work properly for the depth of the tank. Just wanting to see if their are any better options out their. So something that can give a bigger bang for my buck.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currents are a bad choice for deep tanks.

What is your budget for the light? What mounting style do you prefer (on tank, hanging, etc. Is the tank 20 deep too?

OP
OP
P

philcd01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currents are a bad choice for deep tanks.

What is your budget for the light? What mounting style do you prefer (on tank, hanging, etc. Is the tank 20 deep too?
Would like a on tank mount the tank size is a as follows 20l x 18w x 24h do believe it to be 38 gallon column tank

Budget wise looking to be around 200 to 250 range. That is what I am currently comfortable with spending.

Also I keep a Canopy top on the tank due to kids and other pets in the house

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that price range I think noopsyche might be handy. I'll let @noopsyche comment as to I they think a single or double puck would be best. I know they have ramp features but I'm unsure about moonlight. Most other options with the featurs you want and for that size tank (including the lid) will be much more expensive.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An AI prime might work but I have shied away from recommending their products lately.

OP
OP
P

philcd01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could if I have to do an open top or a modified canopy top If I have to to help incorporate a decent light. I just like the looks of every thing kinda not showing that way all you see is the tank.

Also I have used current lights in the past and had great luck with them on shorter tanks i.e. 20 long. But I only did fish only at the time too.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could if I have to do an open top or a modified canopy top If I have to to help incorporate a decent light. I just like the looks of every thing kinda not showing that way all you see is the tank.

Also I have used current lights in the past and had great luck with them on shorter tanks i.e. 20 long. But I only did fish only at the time too.
"IF" wanted to stick w/ a current their newest is a better choice for a column tank.
Same price point as an AI Prime and a bunch of other "puck style" units in the same power range.
Going higher par gets into Radions, Kessils as to LED's.

PAR-Data-2.jpg

Plenty of "Chinese stuff" to pick from as well including the ole "black boxes" ..Just picked the first "find" btw..
It may or may not be 74 watts though..

Another puck style..

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back