Lighting options for 8'x2'x2'

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While my 8'x2'x2' tank is being built I'm working out my lighting options. I currently have 2 150w MH + 2 36" T5 over my 48" tank which is more than enough light for SPS at the top and almost too much for LPS at the bottom. Haven't tried Acropora yet. I also have 2 Kessil A360X's sitting in my closet. I was considering just using all four of those lights over the tank, and it likely would be enough to get me started (mixed reef, Acros towards the top), but I don't particularly like the idea of the lighting not being homogenous. I also am starting to enjoy the plug n play simplicity of MH and T5; it keeps me from fiddling. All that said, I'm trying to figure what to do right now since it will probably influence the design of the canopy.

I can keep what I have and try that out, but I know it will barely cut it for lighting, there will be shadowing where the Kessils are, and the lighting won't be the same which might cause differences in color and shimmer.

I can sell my Kessil's and have more than enough money to do either:

1. 2 48" 6 bulb T5 fixtures over the tank and have mega PAR and great distribution ... but no shimmer and changing the bulbs would be like $300 every 1.5 years max! Also that's like 650W! I could potentially add the shimmer back in with some reef Brite LED strips or the like (if anyone has a video of this shimmer I would appreciate it)
  2. Buy 2 more 150w MH fixtures for a total of four and have good PAR, but probably need to back it up with a few T5's for color and spread. Would look amazing I'm sure, but would suck energy... likely around 7-800W including the T5's. And the heat may be an issue in the small room this tank is in. You also have the bulb change factor which will likely be the same or more than the above option.
  3. Sell everything and commit to a high end LED setup (Orphek Atlantic x2 minimum) -- I'm really not keen on this and I sort of have this mission to prove you can grow coral without spending insane amounts of money on lighting.
So it's really between MH and T5. I want a mixed reef with lots of LPS but still be able to house SPS and higher demand corals like Acropora towards the top half of the tank. On paper, T5 seems like the absolute best option here but the only concern is lack of shimmer. The halides solve that but at a significant heat output and energy usage.

What would you do?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for my 8x2x2 I have been extremely satisfied with the stratons, I have 4 but you could get away with 3 no problem. But more budget friendly would be a t5 combo with the Kessil’s you already have

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An option I haven't considered is 2 Reef Breeder Photon 48's. I'd need to solve the disco effect somehow but I really like the form factor and spread.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sell the Kessils and buy 2 more 150 watt MH and 2 36" T5s. Basically double what you have for your 48" tank...so option 2. About 750 watts total, which really isn't bad for an 8' tank.

I'm a T5 guy too, so I like option 1 as well. The reason I like option 2 better is because you already have half of the lights and you want 'shimmer.'

No option is going to be cheap, in terms of power usage. That's a big tank.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sell the Kessils and buy 2 more 150 watt MH and 2 36" T5s. Basically double what you have for your 48" tank...so option 2. About 750 watts total, which really isn't bad for an 8' tank.

I'm a T5 guy too, so I like option 1 as well. The reason I like option 2 better is because you already have half of the lights and you want 'shimmer.'

No option is going to be cheap, in terms of power usage. That's a big tank.

I'm really coming to agreement with this suggestion. I briefly looked into LED options last night, but the price really is outrageous for a big tank when compared to the performance of MH or T5. Excluding T5's (which I'd add to either), wattage difference would be in the range of ~150-250 watts for a comparable LED solution (2x photon 48's or 2 Orphek Atlantiks at max power mounted high for spread) and those LED solutions wouldn't provide the spread / coverage that solely the MH or T5 will.

My main concern with MH really is the heat from the ballasts / reflectors and bulb availability long term. This is why I'm strongly considering the idea of just going T5 and eventually adding a few Kessil 80's or 160's to bring a gentle shimmer back. Similar power consumption but less heat. This matters because the tank is in a small room -- with my two MH over my existing tank I had some mild overheating issues but they were resolved with fans and a window AC (I don't have central AC and generally don't need it except for a couple hot months). The cost of bulbs for either a full T5 or MH solution would be comparable but the fixture cost would be slightly less on the T5 only setup -- it's close to a wash either way and comes down to the other factors mentioned.

I do like the idea of getting a couple 6 bulb fixtures and still having some level of PAR and spectrum adjustability -- not generally something you get with the MH pendants.

As a T5 guy, have you experimented with adding shimmer into your tank?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much PAR are you looking for in your tank?

Depending on where you want to go and how much you want to add, you might be able to achieve what you want by just adding a 24" hybrid T5-LED fixture. Mount your two Kessils on the extreme ends of the hybrid fixture, and then run your two 36" T5 fixtures on either end of your tank, with the hybrid fixture in the middle.

The 360X has pretty good spread and gives good shimmer, but most of your PAR would be coming from your T5 fixtures. I think it would be a little underpowered for keeping acros in the corners of the tank, but should provide plenty for the top part and especially the middle of the tank.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much PAR are you looking for in your tank?

Depending on where you want to go and how much you want to add, you might be able to achieve what you want by just adding a 24" hybrid T5-LED fixture. Mount your two Kessils on the extreme ends of the hybrid fixture, and then run your two 36" T5 fixtures on either end of your tank, with the hybrid fixture in the middle.

The 360X has pretty good spread and gives good shimmer, but most of your PAR would be coming from your T5 fixtures. I think it would be a little underpowered for keeping acros in the corners of the tank, but should provide plenty for the top part and especially the middle of the tank.

I think 200-300+ in the top half or even top third of the tank. This is the result I have now with 2 14k 150 MH and 2 36" T5 blue+ strips mounted about 8" from the waterline. Bottom of the tank is blanketed with 100-150 PAR which honestly is a bit much for some of my more light sensitive corals (blastos etc) but I think I can resolve those issues with better aquascaping and buying more colored sticks so the sensitive corals are shaded.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I briefly looked into LED options last night, but the price really is outrageous for a big tank when compared to the performance of MH or T5.

I agree. I've looked into switching from my T5s for 'shimmer,' bulb replacement, etc...and it just doesn't pencil out once you get to a certain footprint.

My main concern with MH really is the heat from the ballasts / reflectors and bulb availability long term.

I don't have experience dealing with heat issues. I'm in Nebraska, so in the winter, the heat is welcome, and I run AC 4-5 months a year in the Summer anyway. People suggest fans. That maybe seems obvious, but blowing air around those lights does more than a guy might think. It sounds like you are aware of all that.

As a T5 guy, have you experimented with adding shimmer into your tank?

So I've been using T5s since 2010, after I decommissioned my power compacts on my old 90 gallon and bought my current 6 bulb 4' fixture. I run the same 4' fixture over my 6' 125 gallon. The tank is in the wall, so you can't see that the fixture doesn't match the length of the tank. And without a PAR meter, you can't tell that the ends are a little dimmer, so I just keep lower light corals on the ends.

I've thought about adding some LEDs to the ends, but I think it would look a little silly not matching. I've also thought about adding Reef Brites or or Orphek or other bars to give pop to the whole tank and cover the ends better, but I don't think that the extra 3-600 dollars would be worth it.

If I were to start over with lighting, I would just go with a 5' 6 bulb T5 or three 150-250 MH. If someone forced me to go LED, I would go with 6 black boxes turned sideways or 6 Noopsyche K7s turned sideways. It just doesn't make sense to me to spend thousands on expensive LEDs because I would need so many fixtures to get the coverage that I want. Now, a 2x2x2 cube or a 40 breeder is of course different, and a shop selling fluorescent frags is different, so I see why people in certain situations love LEDs. You mentioned ReefBreeders, and people love them. 2 of those 4' photons would be an option.

Long rant, but that is my current view of lighting mid-large size tanks.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though this is my first big tank, I'm in agreement just based on the cost analysis I've done so far.

What would you choose? I'm still drawn to the T5 setup for the simple fact that I can add or remove and swap bulbs to affect spectrum and PAR. You can't do that with MH. The coverage would also be insane if I went with two 48" 6 bulb fixtures. I would be going with cheaper VIVOSUN fixtures, not the ATI fixtures. It would be easy to add shimmer back with some 'cheap' (hah) LED pendants in the future.

I think I need to just look up pics and videos of T5 and MH tanks and make a call.

Cost to add two MH pendants or to go all T5 as described would be roughly the same.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with T5 or LED (no matter which one), I'll keep the kessil in the mix for shimmer, since you have them already.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't underestimate the heat put out by MH. If you haven't used them before, it's quite startling. I had constant heat problems with MH when I ran that, was always running the fan 24/7 trying to keep up with it. My heaters were basically decorative. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying be aware of the flow of air around your tank, and if it's in a more confined area like a fishroom, then be careful.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Orphek OR3 light bars

xtian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern with MH really is the heat from the ballasts / reflectors and bulb availability long term.
I've read that the reefbrite MH gear doesn't put out as much heat as other fixtures/ballast. As far as bulb availability - Dave at Hamilton agrees MH wont disappear anytime soon and stated they sell several thousands of MH bulbs a year with no plans to discontinue them(just posted this in another thread quick c&p).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back