Lighting options for new build

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank arriving soon and I have a few different lights I can use to light this tank. First some info

Tank is 48Lx30Wx20H

This will be a mixed reef, focusing more towards nems, lps, softies like yumas and zoa's. It will have about 10 different sps however as well and I will likely try out a mag anemone.

I currently own 2 GHL Mitras lx7's

and a 36" ATI sunpower that has been retrofitted with LEDs from NANOBOX Reef. (4. 39 watt t5's and 6 NBR v.3 led pucks) https://nanobox-reef.myshopify.com/.../nanobox-sunpower-retro?variant=6782134059057

IMG_20180222_123944.jpg

(Excuse the handwriting) this should be to scale and these are the options I've come up with

What are everyone's thoughts? Without buying another fixture, what would you do?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO , both are fine. I’d go with the one you think is coolest.

Neither is “better”.

The led only will have more power I belive. That ya don’t really need.
Soo....

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a mixed reef like you want I would go with option #2 on your sketch. The mitras are really nice and the spread is second to non for LED's.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a mixed reef like you want I would go with option #2 on your sketch. The mitras are really nice and the spread is second to non for LED's.
I am currently using the mitras over my RSM c130 which was supposed to be much more temporary than it has been lol it does provide good color and coverage.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using the mitras over my RSM c130 which was supposed to be much more temporary than it has been lol it does provide good color and coverage.

Oh well than you know. lol I'd keep them, if I had to buy again and I wasn't able to do a T5 hybrid (what I run) I would def get the Mitras.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well than you know. lol I'd keep them, if I had to buy again and I wasn't able to do a T5 hybrid (what I run) I would def get the Mitras.
Thats the hard part, I have the led/t5 hybrid which i could use and i have the top of the line LED's that i could use. Honestly I am probably over thinking it as either option will likely suit my needs.

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out reef breeders lights, I just got one for my 4 foot tank and the PAR readings were impressive

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out reef breeders lights, I just got one for my 4 foot tank and the PAR readings were impressive
I already own the lights i listed above. Both the mitras and the hybrid light. I am trying to see what is going to work best for the upcoming build with the lighting i already own, If i were to buy another fixture I would buy a 3rd mitras and run 3 but I REALLY want to not have to buy another fixture. Im already way over budget on this build and it doesnt even have water yet lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back