Lighting Question

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of "light bar" style led lights. I wouldn't use any of those for an anemone. If it doesnt have fans, it's probably not going to give you enough power. The powerful led lights with higher wattage LEDs that anemones need all generally have fans. Sbreeflights are highly rated "black box" style, very popular among members here and I believe they're made in USA if that's what you prefer. Better support and customer service I've heard, at a slightly higher price point than the Chinese black boxes but still a budget option. The mounting bar you posted would be perfect for any black box, assuming it fits your tank. Looks like it might be designed for a rimless but I dont have any experiance with that.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem then is getting the nem off his rock

is the rock big and heavy? One way I see that work is by rubbing the nem on the side of the foot and try to put your fingers under and lift it just a little bit, never force a nem to release its foot inappropriately other wise you will hurt the nem and possible can even lose it

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't move the anemone if its happy where it is. Give the clownfish a couple weeks. You gotta have patience in this hobby or you'll make your life more difficult trying to mess with things. Found that out the hard way more than once. Just relax a little. My clownfish were tank raised and never saw an anenone till I got one. They still have instincts. Once they saw it for a few days, one tried it out and realized it was good. Give them a chance to discover it on their own. I think some of the techniques from those videos help the clownfish touch the anemone for the first time. I think when they touch it they instinctively know what it is then. Give then a chance to do it in their own for a couple weeks, then if they dont figure it out you can start using those techniques to start nudging them in the right direction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It
I wouldn't move the anemone if its happy where it is. Give the clownfish a couple weeks. You gotta have patience in this hobby or you'll make your life more difficult trying to mess with things. Found that out the hard way more than once. Just relax a little. My clownfish were tank raised and never saw an anenone till I got one. They still have instincts. Once they saw it for a few days, one tried it out and realized it was good. Give them a chance to discover it on their own. I think some of the techniques from those videos help the clownfish touch the anemone for the first time. I think when they touch it they instinctively know what it is then. Give then a chance to do it in their own for a couple weeks, then if they dont figure it out you can start using those techniques to start nudging them in the right direction.
It's been a couple months :/ about 3-4

They look at it then leave never touched it and they r captive bred so have "less" of those natural instincts

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the rock big and heavy? One way I see that work is by rubbing the nem on the side of the foot and try to put your fingers under and lift it just a little bit, never force a nem to release its foot inappropriately other wise you will hurt the nem and possible can even lose it
Yes

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would never pull him off I would blow him onto a smaller rock that would work in a strainer

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the nem is happy where it is i would try to leave it on the rock. Try the tube thing, or i have even heard of people having success netting the clownfish and placing it in the anemone by hand. If you dont want to buy the expensive tube, just get a large clear plastic cup with a lid like from Starbucks or McDonalds, clean it WELL, then fill it with tank water and put the clownfish in. Hold the lid over the top till it's right by the anemone and then slide it off with the mouth of the cup right at the anemone. Worth a try I would think, not much effort or cost involved.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank (4 feet by about 18-20" tall)
I have the viparspectra 300w light you posted earlier and I love it. You dont have to light every inch of your tank. That light fades out a little dimmer at the edges of my tank but I dont mind. I'm not going to cramp it full of corals end to end. AND oddly enough I happened to have had the current orbit light before I got the viparspectra. It was fine for my LPS corals but not enough for an anemone. It has 1/2 watt LEDs as opposed to the 3w leds that the black boxes have, and far fewer of them. I got a bubble tip a few weeks ago that loves the viparspectra light and hosts my mated pair of oscellaris. Most black boxes are similar in output, I like the viparspectra because of the timers, price point and ratings/testimonials of people I've seen here on the forum. I keep my light about 14" above the aquarium to spread the light out a bit, and I only need it at about 25% power and the nem seems happy. It has not moved since I placed it. I did a lot of the same research you're doing now before I got my anemone. Individual clownfish personalities vary of course, but in my case my male was trying to be hosted by all my other corals which didnt like it, and when I got the anemone the clownfish found it within about 3 or 4 days. It's much more fun to watch them in an anemone than in corals, it seems much more natural to them and they dig around in it, and do their mating dances way more than they did before I had the nem. I think that pretty much covers it, your situation seems pretty similar to mine. Hope this helps!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@sbdiehl88 - Awesome light fixture how do you like your #OrpHek? I just bought two of the latest released - by #Orphek, went with a Pair of the Atlantik Compact V4 (Gen 2) LED fixture that has 42 LEDs and I will be mounting with the Orphek Mounting leg kits.
I will be running two of these over my 5FTX2FT tank that I am currently in the process of setting up build thread currently now. I got my mounting legs direct from #Orphek in Asia. I can't believe how superb their customer service compared to some of the online vendors and we are talking about the MFG.
Anyhow, check it out, I ordered two sets of the mounting legs ok, but the way the box was packaged, it looks like there was only 1 set in the box. So, I sent an email at 5 pm EST which is like 5 AM in Hong Kong and within 20 minuted I got a direct response from Brenda @ #Orphek in Asia that both the mounting legs are in the same box. Normally it would of be in two boxes but they were able to fit two sets in 1 box so this how they ship them. I have read and have talked to many people about there #Orphek and not one person has one bad thing to say about the company which made feel really happy since I was about to drop over 2k just for my lighting on my build. My Atlantik Compact V4 (Gen 2) LED fixtures should be coming in towards the end of the week. It's all good b/c i am still wiating on my sump from Synergy which is around 4 week out from being completed and ready to ship.

One set is on one side on the other set is on their other side of the box.
upload_2019-1-19_8-13-41.png

upload_2019-1-19_8-14-49.png

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to share this with you:

This are tricks but your nem should host the nem normally on its own when you fish wants to. Good Luck

@Marie7 -As we all know, Clownfish live at the bottom of the sea in sheltered reefs or in shallow lagoons, usually in pairs. Clownfish have a special relationship with the anemone and are very important to them.
They are a large help to the anemone as they clean the anemone by eating the algae and other food leftovers on them. The relationship between the sea anemone and clownfish allows the other to flourish through symbiosis.
The clownfish is protected by the stinging tentacles of the anemone and keeps zebrafish away. It will all happen naturally, no need to do any tricks. The only trick ya need to do is keep the sea anemone in one place so it does not move around your entire tank!
I have a semi-large build I am currently working on and I just bought one of these since I am going to be dropping a semi-large Redtip w/ around half of a dozen or so juveniles all in at ones and 2 Yellow Tangs that are also juveniles.
Anyways, I bought a ReefRax Anemonee holder so it will attach and not move around the tank. Here is a short video on it and here is a pic.

file.jpg

Make sure you check out the video:

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of "light bar" style led lights. I wouldn't use any of those for an anemone. If it doesnt have fans, it's probably not going to give you enough power. The powerful led lights with higher wattage LEDs that anemones need all generally have fans. Sbreeflights are highly rated "black box" style, very popular among members here and I believe they're made in USA if that's what you prefer. Better support and customer service I've heard, at a slightly higher price point than the Chinese black boxes but still a budget option. The mounting bar you posted would be perfect for any black box, assuming it fits your tank. Looks like it might be designed for a rimless but I dont have any experiance with that.
Good to know about the fans my problem is I don't want something coming down from the roof.

How loud r those fans? It's in the middle of our living room so I don't want it to loud. :/

@Marie7 -As we all know, Clownfish live at the bottom of the sea in sheltered reefs or in shallow lagoons, usually in pairs. Clownfish have a special relationship with the anemone and are very important to them.
They are a large help to the anemone as they clean the anemone by eating the algae and other food leftovers on them. The relationship between the sea anemone and clownfish allows the other to flourish through symbiosis.
The clownfish is protected by the stinging tentacles of the anemone and keeps zebrafish away. It will all happen naturally, no need to do any tricks. The only trick ya need to do is keep the sea anemone in one place so it does not move around your entire tank!
I have a semi-large build I am currently working on and I just bought one of these since I am going to be dropping a semi-large Redtip w/ around half of a dozen or so juveniles all in at ones and 2 Yellow Tangs that are also juveniles.
Anyways, I bought a ReefRax Anemonee holder so it will attach and not move around the tank. Here is a short video on it and here is a pic.

file.jpg

Make sure you check out the video:

Interesting but what if the nem doesn’t like where u put him...

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
If the nem is happy where it is i would try to leave it on the rock. Try the tube thing, or i have even heard of people having success netting the clownfish and placing it in the anemone by hand. If you dont want to buy the expensive tube, just get a large clear plastic cup with a lid like from Starbucks or McDonalds, clean it WELL, then fill it with tank water and put the clownfish in. Hold the lid over the top till it's right by the anemone and then slide it off with the mouth of the cup right at the anemone. Worth a try I would think, not much effort or cost involved.
Idk what I am gonna do y is this trade so confusing :/

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An anemone holder is fine if you dont have a good place in the rock for it to attach but nothing is guaranteed to keep the anemone from letting go. Bubble tip anemones prefer to have a spot where they can reach their foot deep inside the rock in a crevice or hole. But they have other criteria like light and flow and if they dont like a spot they will simply let go and float around until they find a spot they do like. You said you've had the anemone for 2 months right? If it's been in one spot that long it probably likes it.

OP
OP
Calebb8133

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An anemone holder is fine if you dont have a good place in the rock for it to attach but nothing is guaranteed to keep the anemone from letting go. Bubble tip anemones prefer to have a spot where they can reach their foot deep inside the rock in a crevice or hole. But they have other criteria like light and flow and if they dont like a spot they will simply let go and float around until they find a spot they do like. You said you've had the anemone for 2 months right? If it's been in one spot that long it probably likes it.
He never explored the rest of the tank I put him on the back glass and he moved off the glass and fortunately to the front of the tank but that’s it...

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bubble tip anemone but don't think my lighting is adequate (picture below)

Can I just upgrade wattage or do I need a new fixture?

No plans on getting Corals btw

I also want to get my clowns to host the anemone and was thinking of taking them out for a few weeks then reintroducing them into the anemone?
image.jpg

@Calebb8133 - First i know this is a old post but you're going to need to buy some strong LED's for your Sea Anemone, they love a lot of strong light.
There is no doubt about it watching a clown-fish seemingly playing in its anemone host is one of the most magical things that can happen in our aquariums. There’s just something about the symbiosis of it. In nature, a clown-fish cannot survive without a host anemone.
They would simply be picked off by a predator as they would have no place to hide. In the relative safety of our small glass boxes, however, clown-fish will be perfectly happy without a host anemone. Although many people still want to experience that little piece of nature for themselves.
So how do you get your clown-fish to live with a host anemone? While there’s no guarantee that they ever will, there are a few tricks I can share that can help.

This is a very common question, and a good one. Because in many cases the type of anemone can make a big difference. Since this website is about Ocellaris Clownfish, we’ll mainly focus on them, as well as Perculas, since they have very similar requirements.
In the wild, A. ocellaris and A. percula host only Heteractis magnifica, the Magnificent Sea Anemone, Stichodactyla gigantea, the Giant Carpet Anemone, Heractis crispa, Sebae Anemone and Stichodactyla mertensii, Merten’s Carpet Anemone.
Unfortunately, these are generally not great choices for the average enthusiast. They either get quite large or are somewhat delicate in their requirements (or both).

But fear not! There is another anemone that is fairly common in captive reefs, which will host both Percula and Ocellaris clowns. Entacmaea quadricolor, or the Bubble Tip Anemone, is relatively easy to care for and serves as a very good surrogate for hosting Ocellaris and Perculas.

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I c them host all the time though I saw one at a fish store hosting...
A little off topic, but you can get a clown to host just about any anemone out there regardless of its tank raised (I would not recommend condylactis). Just get a breeder box or one of those critter cages for crickets. Acclimate your nem and drop it in the box. Put your clowns in the box with the nem and let them explore it for 15 minutes. Once they touch it a couple times and cover themselves in the mucus they should host it no problem! My ocellaris male occupies a bta and the female occupies lta.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little off topic, but you can get a clown to host just about any anemone out there regardless of its tank raised (I would not recommend condylactis). Just get a breeder box or one of those critter cages for crickets. Acclimate your nem and drop it in the box. Put your clowns in the box with the nem and let them explore it for 15 minutes. Once they touch it a couple times and cover themselves in the mucus they should host it no problem! My ocellaris male occupies a bta and the female occupies lta.

It's funny because I can not say the same, my two brown occupy almost every single anemone I have in the tank hahhahahaaaa for real they are greedy, I just bought a green bubble tip 2 days ago, put it on the tank and they swim right to it so there's not a define one they like to be hanging all the time, I was surprise seeing one of then sleeping with a condy and hanging for 2 straight days with a condy but as I always mention before everybody not all condy's are good to your nemos and not each one will not make your fish a dinner in due time I believe it has to be a chemistry between the condy and the fish in order for your anemone cause harm your fish.

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny because I can not say the same, my two brown occupy almost every single anemone I have in the tank hahhahahaaaa for real they are greedy, I just bought a green bubble tip 2 days ago, put it on the tank and they swim right to it so there's not a define one they like to be hanging all the time, I was surprise seeing one of then sleeping with a condy and hanging for 2 straight days with a condy but as I always mention before everybody not all condy's are good to your nemos and not each one will not make your fish a dinner in due time I believe it has to be a chemistry between the condy and the fish in order for your anemone cause harm your fish.
My female will not share until the lights go out lol! She’ll allow him to hover above her nem but she always reminds him she rules the roost. Sometimes she’ll even kick him out of his BTA.
Aside from the chemistry, those condys are from the Atlantic and clowns are from the pacific. It’s just in their genetics to eat all fish IMO.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back