Lighting safety concerns?

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I tend to be an overthinker, but I have a question around reef lighting.

I just purchased a Noopsyche K7 V3 and my corals freaking love it compared to my last light. Using the LPS preset they seem to be super happy. Though there's quite a bit of light bleed into my room. My reef tank is in my office, and I was curious of the safety of the lights themselves and whether I should be concerned considering I work from home and I'm in my office 8-10 hours a day.

Here's the LED layout for the NP K7 V3:
1653504733784.png

Am I worrying for no reason? Would you recommend maybe making a hood for the light itself? Attached is also a picture of my setup.

Thanks as always everyone! unnamed (2).jpg

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about uv rays?
if so I don’t think you will have a problem because leds are directional source of light. The spillage is more of the ambient light given off of a reflection. Back in the old days when we had halides it would pose a threat due to the uv rays

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about uv rays?
if so I don’t think you will have a problem because leds are directional source of light. The spillage is more of the ambient light given off of a reflection. Back in the old days when we had halides it would pose a threat due to the uv rays
That was generally what I was thinking as well. though what concerned me is how visible it suddenly is here. I didn't knwo if maybe the light was too high? Or if the LED housing being circular if it's magnifying/pushing the light over a larger area. I also have little to no idea what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 33

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t stare at it you would be fine. Lol but if you have children that play on the floor and you don’t want them to look directly at it then I would suggest a canopy of some sorts

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t stare at it you would be fine. Lol but if you have children that play on the floor and you don’t want them to look directly at it then I would suggest a canopy of some sorts
But.. but they're pretty...

No kids, just melanoma runs in the family and I'm always medically anxious haha.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in between I like both with and with out canopy. If it’s in the tv room it’s with canopy and if it’s in the man cave with out lol

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re fine. Just don’t stare directly at the light because the brightness will burn your retina. Just like staring at any bright light excessively. The blue light isn’t going to hurt you. Leave the shades open and sunlight has just as much blue content. It’s Just masked by the rest of the spectrum

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re fine. Just don’t stare directly at the light because the brightness will burn your retina. Just like staring at any bright light excessively. The blue light isn’t going to hurt you. Leave the shades open and sunlight has just as much blue content. It’s Just masked by the rest of the spectrum
Appreciate the sanity check haha. Thanks so much everyone!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all,

I tend to be an overthinker, but I have a question around reef lighting.

I just purchased a Noopsyche K7 V3 and my corals freaking love it compared to my last light. Using the LPS preset they seem to be super happy. Though there's quite a bit of light bleed into my room. My reef tank is in my office, and I was curious of the safety of the lights themselves and whether I should be concerned considering I work from home and I'm in my office 8-10 hours a day.

Here's the LED layout for the NP K7 V3:
1653504733784.png

Am I worrying for no reason? Would you recommend maybe making a hood for the light itself? Attached is also a picture of my setup.

Thanks as always everyone! unnamed (2).jpg
Light bleed ive noticed on mine. I made a shield with foil directing light at tank instead of wall

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a 6" black acrylic sheet around my light with velcro, for less than 50$ on a 48" tank.

if you want Check out my 120g build thread on the 3rd or 4th page
That looks perfect. I think I'll do tin foil until Friday and I'll run to Home Depot and pick up a piece of black acrylic. That looked pretty much perfect

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks perfect. I think I'll do tin foil until Friday and I'll run to Home Depot and pick up a piece of black acrylic. That looked pretty much perfect
Yeah, it really mad a big difference, I got it from an acrylic dealer online, I wish I had got it precut , or did it correctly, its not the easiest to cut, i got it thin, less than 1/4", so it wants to crack on you....

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it really mad a big difference, I got it from an acrylic dealer online, I wish I had got it precut , or did it correctly, its not the easiest to cut, i got it thin, less than 1/4", so it wants to crack on you....
Yeah that's kind of why I didn't end up picking up a piece of acrylic to use as a lid because I didn't want to make cut outs for my HOB filter and such. With a jig saw and a metal cutting bit with some painters tape it probably wouldn't be too bad.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's kind of why I didn't end up picking up a piece of acrylic to use as a lid because I didn't want to make cut outs for my HOB filter and such. With a jig saw and a metal cutting bit with some painters tape it probably wouldn't be too bad.
I did it with a jigsaw and a fine tooth blade too, clamped down good so it didn't vibrate, its not to bad to do, a bit of a learning curve from wood...

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it with a jigsaw and a fine tooth blade too, clamped down good so it didn't vibrate, its not to bad to do, a bit of a learning curve from wood...
Yeah I've never done it before haha. I appreciate that recommendation that's a good idea. Though looking at it, the NP V3 has venting on the sides. Though I'm mostly concerned about the front and back.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Attachments

• FBDE6813-DF98-4A2D-A883-A7D50E491E82.jpeg
    FBDE6813-DF98-4A2D-A883-A7D50E491E82.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 25
  • B4845DB5-11FF-491A-9A06-6910E47C4616.jpeg
    B4845DB5-11FF-491A-9A06-6910E47C4616.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 26

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back