Lighting selection help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by Ignitros, Feb 17, 2018.

?
  1. Kessil AP700

2. EcoTech Radion XR30 Pro

3. Orphek Antlantik V4

4. AI Hydra 26 HD x2

5. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ignitros

Ignitros Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm wanting to pick your brain on lighting selection. Mixed reef tank... SPS higher, LPS and some softies lower down along with an anemone for my clowns. The tank is a Fluval M90 AIO 27 Gallon tank measuring 36" width x 16" height x 12" depth. I'm looking at Kessil AP700, Radion XR30 G4 Pro, Orphek Atlantik V4, or 2 AI Hydra 26 HD. I'm not running a controller as of now but at some point will be doing a full Apex system if that changes what you'd select. I currently have 2 Maxspect XF230 gyre and a Maxspect Turbine Duo pump all turned way down running the flow. Next upgrade after lighting will be a new skimmer. Probably going with the Tunze Comline DOC 9004 DC.

What do you think? What would you go with based on what I have currently? Anything easier than the other to set up scheduling? What about Apex compatability... anything better for that?

Crabs Mcjones likes this.

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Personally I'd do the AP700 with a T5 supplement. It's what im currently running now on my 40 breeder which is 36x18x16 and I absolutely love it. I don't run an apex and the only downfall is you won't be able to control the ap700 with it, however you can utilize the apex to control your t5s. The shimmer and color blend mixed with the blanket coverage of the t5s to me is the hest. I have between 225 to 350 par everywhere in the tank.

3. [Cameron]

[Cameron] Active Member

If it is good enough for commercial aquariums, it is good enough for me. Orphek would be my choice if budget wasn't a big consideration.

4. atx100r

atx100r Active Member Build Thread Contributor

AP 700 would be overkill for 27 gallon tank IMHO....Possibly Hydra 26 would be more economical and budget friendly

5. ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88 Active Member

I literally just set up my new ap700 for my 90g 36x24x24. I can’t even look into the bare tank with the lift turned up anymore than 10%. This thing is POWERFUL!

Draft saved Draft deleted