Lighting Settings Help

schuldtkyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Quick stats. Fluval EVO 13.5 with Fluval Marine Nano LED.

I am new to the hobby so please be kind! I am set up with the above tank and light. I also have a wave maker, 20 lbs of dry rock, and a black storm and mocha clownfish currently in the tank. It’s a week old. I’ve partnered with my local Aquarian shop to do this and help get me into this hobby.

My goal is a mixed reef tank so I plan to get corals going after about a month. Any ideas for settings on the light? I can do up to ten time points and want me make sure I get this right. Thanks.

image.jpg

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty side of things!

Im assuming you’re using the stock light? I believe it’s only about 20w worth of LEDs. Realistically, you’ll probably need a better light long term for a mixed reef. Your current light may support some low light Zoas and mushrooms.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty side of things!

Im assuming you’re using the stock light? I believe it’s only about 20w worth of LEDs. Realistically, you’ll probably need a better light long term for a mixed reef. Your current light may support some low light Zoas and mushrooms.
No, I think they have this light:

Which is only 15watts. It’ll grow some low light soft corals and LPS. Probably would’ve been better off with the stock lighting.

OP, the light you have is okay for the time being, but you may want to upgrade to something like an AI Prime in the future if you want to keep any more light demanding species (most SPS, anemones, clams, etc). Also, do you have an ATO (auto top-off)? Going lidless without one, especially with such a small tank will lead to a lot of instability. I would recommend getting a mesh lid ASAP, in shallow tanks all SW fish are prone to jumping, you can either buy one made for the EVO, or diy one (just search here for ideas/materials). Otherwise, tank looks great! Just take it slow, do your research and you’ll have a thriving reef in no time!

Oh, one other piece of advice, take everything your LFS tells you with a grain of salt. Always do independent research (preferably before making purchases, especially with livestock). Even if they’re one of the hood ones, they’ll always have a vested interest in selling you something, so trust but verify.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

schuldtkyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone for responding! I’ve got the Fluval bank 20w. At 12 inches of depth its rated for about 100 par. I’m thinking this would be enough to get going. I’m already putting together a list to start a 40 gallon breeder. Had no idea this was going to be so fun!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone for responding! I’ve got the Fluval bank 20w. At 12 inches of depth its rated for about 100 par. I’m thinking this would be enough to get going. I’m already putting together a list to start a 40 gallon breeder. Had no idea this was going to be so fun!
Is that par rating in air or water? 20w doesn't seem able to hit those numbers to me.

Ellissp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Quick stats. Fluval EVO 13.5 with Fluval Marine Nano LED.

I am new to the hobby so please be kind! I am set up with the above tank and light. I also have a wave maker, 20 lbs of dry rock, and a black storm and mocha clownfish currently in the tank. It’s a week old. I’ve partnered with my local Aquarian shop to do this and help get me into this hobby.

My goal is a mixed reef tank so I plan to get corals going after about a month. Any ideas for settings on the light? I can do up to ten time points and want me make sure I get this right. Thanks.

image.jpg
I’ve got a 6 gallon with the same light, I set it up at the same time as you actually and I’ve got a clown with a Tailspot blenny, like 9 different corals (soft,lps, and easy sps), and a cuc. The light specs the company’s says it runs at is in open air vs being measured in the water since every tank size varies, but I bet the water takes out no more than like 20% of the lights power, max. I’ve found keeping the blue and purple at 1% at night with a point of darkness before sunrise and after sunset helps keep some corals open and feeding at night which has made them grow insanely fast. It’s either from that or the ab+ and all/calc/mag I’ve been dosing with benereef but idk this is all very new to me.

umutcancamci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 6 gallon with the same light, I set it up at the same time as you actually and I’ve got a clown with a Tailspot blenny, like 9 different corals (soft,lps, and easy sps), and a cuc. The light specs the company’s says it runs at is in open air vs being measured in the water since every tank size varies, but I bet the water takes out no more than like 20% of the lights power, max. I’ve found keeping the blue and purple at 1% at night with a point of darkness before sunrise and after sunset helps keep some corals open and feeding at night which has made them grow insanely fast. It’s either from that or the ab+ and all/calc/mag I’ve been dosing with benereef but idk this is all very new to me.
Hey! I just bought this light, but it seems slightly weak to me. Do you have any issues so far with your softies? If not, could you share your current schedule, please?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back