Lighting Upgrade help... ughhh

SF_Ice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling to make a decision on my upgrade lighting... First things first. I have been given ~400$ to spend towards removing my 2 300w Viparspectra black boxes. I have on hand 1 AI Prime HD that I plan to use somewhere in the plan if it is feasible. I have mostly LPS corals, leptoseris, leptostreas, euphyllias, Acans, duncans. I have 2 SPS pieces that started off rough but have bounced back quite nicely in the last few months, and some xenia and some zoas. Currently running the Vipars 13 1/2 inches from the surface of the water 60% blue 5% white.

I am looking at a few options.

- AI Prime HDs down the whole tank likely would end up with 4 units
- AI Hydra 26 HD would buy 2 of these and run the AI prime in the middle.
- Noopsyche K7 pro II would probably end up buying 3 of these and not using the AI prime
- AI Hydra 32 HDs two of these along with the Prime in the middle. Much less affordable option though...

How would you folks proceed? I'm sure there is some more info you all may need and I'm quite new to these forums so please bare with me.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that any of those are upgrades. Different? Sure. Upgrade? Questionable. Save your money and keep the Vipars.

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Noopsyche is the only thing actually in your budget. Everything else you listed would be 600-1500.

OP
OP
S

SF_Ice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, why change whats currently working for your tank?
While its working currently, I'm not sure that I'm getting the growth and the coloration that is available from the corals that I have.
I don't know that any of those are upgrades. Different? Sure. Upgrade? Questionable. Save your money and keep the Vipars.
What would be considered an upgrade then? If this were the case, why would anyone buy anything other than black boxes? Are apps, spectrum control, ramping, program-ability not considered upgrades? Why do you say these would be questionable?
The Noopsyche is the only thing actually in your budget. Everything else you listed would be 600-1500.
Forgive me, I mean used market they can be affordable.

I appreciate all the insight, I just want to know the reasoning behind it all. Thanks everyone

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of your current lighting are you wanting to upgrade the.most?

Blend
Spectrum
Programmability
Growth rate of light hungry corals (SPS)

They are not the same and you might not get them all for your budget, especially if you are set on being 100% LED.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the puck style lights will have less disco ball than black boxes, but as mentioned, you will need more units.

It's unlikely that a different LED unit will give a huge growth boost.

Within your budget spectrum will be basically the same (few options with UV/IR)

So really programmability will be the main difference from what you have.

Might sound jaded, but they're all about the same at this point (sliders for intensity and time on each channel).

I think best bang for your buck new would be the noopsyche clones that were being sold direct from the factory that noopsyche sourced theirs from.

I'd prob go with used 32hds just bc Id want more watts/unit area

OP
OP
S

SF_Ice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of your current lighting are you wanting to upgrade the.most?

Blend
Spectrum
Programmability
Growth rate of light hungry corals (SPS)

They are not the same and you might not get them all for your budget, especially if you are set on being 100% LED.

Only looking to do LED right now, I have very very few SPS and honestly don't see myself going for them. I hate the lack of spectrum control on the Vipars. They are mind numbingly blue.. MY wife cannot stand the tank as the lights hurt her eyes.

I cannot run the famous AB+ lighting schedule that so many reefers like. There is no ramp which i feel is a very valuable feature for acclimation. Yes my corals are all doing fairly well. If Vipars are a good light why don't many people recommend them or use them? Why would you spend 800$ for a Radion instead of 200$ for a 300w Vipar?

If these lights are really that great then I'll keep them.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling to make a decision on my upgrade lighting... First things first. I have been given ~400$ to spend towards removing my 2 300w Viparspectra black boxes. I have on hand 1 AI Prime HD that I plan to use somewhere in the plan if it is feasible. I have mostly LPS corals, leptoseris, leptostreas, euphyllias, Acans, duncans. I have 2 SPS pieces that started off rough but have bounced back quite nicely in the last few months, and some xenia and some zoas. Currently running the Vipars 13 1/2 inches from the surface of the water 60% blue 5% white.

I am looking at a few options.

- AI Prime HDs down the whole tank likely would end up with 4 units
- AI Hydra 26 HD would buy 2 of these and run the AI prime in the middle.
- Noopsyche K7 pro II would probably end up buying 3 of these and not using the AI prime
- AI Hydra 32 HDs two of these along with the Prime in the middle. Much less affordable option though...

How would you folks proceed? I'm sure there is some more info you all may need and I'm quite new to these forums so please bare with me.

Need more information about your tank.
How big/deep is your tank? AI Prime 16HD seems to be versatile enough but they might not be able to help you with how depth your tank is.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be hugely dissatisfied with the Primes. You'll need 4+ of them to replace each viparspectra - so 8+ total.

Unless we're talking about something like a 400 gallon tank - the viparspectras aren't your issue and you're not going to be able to get any sort of upgrade anywhere near your price range.

OP
OP
S

SF_Ice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more information about your tank.
How big/deep is your tank? AI Prime 16HD seems to be versatile enough but they might not be able to help you with how depth your tank is.
Sorry thought i had put this in my OP.

60Lx18Wx16T

Everyone keeps saying that i wont find anything near my budget....I am not buying new. The used market is pretty cheap for primes and 26 hds. Noops would be new at ~150$ ea. Similar to used primes.

Again why does anyone buy more expensive lighting when they could get black boxes?

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbreeders on sale right now, it's still a little out of your budget but if you can make it happen :cool:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If controllability is what you want along with a very strong output, you can look for some used AI hydra 52 HDs.
Id get 3 or more for a 60L tank.
I have two non HDs over my 36" and its a little overkill even dialed back to 50%.

Youll be upset with the output of the primes vs ur vipars.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back