Lighting Upgrade?

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently own a Waterbox Frag 105.4 and my tank will be a mixed reef with a few select sps in the higher par areas.

My current lighting is (2) xr15 gen4s. I've been thinking about adding a 3rd xr15 gen4 when I can find one for sale or selling the xr15s switching to a different lighting solution.
I am currently needing a proven to work, full led lighting solution that will cover my tank (48x24x16).

Any suggestions?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend just adding the third unit.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A third Radion should work nicely. With only 16" of depth, you can run them a little higher to cover the 24" front to back. Or add the ReefBrite XHO kit.

I'd just get a G5 Pro if adding a third unit. Led fixtures last around 5 years. Some longer, many shorter. Any used G4 Radions are getting close to end of life

neotactical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently own a Waterbox Frag 105.4 and my tank will be a mixed reef with a few select sps in the higher par areas.

My current lighting is (2) xr15 gen4s. I've been thinking about adding a 3rd xr15 gen4 when I can find one for sale or selling the xr15s switching to a different lighting solution.
I am currently needing a proven to work, full led lighting solution that will cover my tank (48x24x16).

Any suggestions?
What did you ever decide to do? I'm running a 105.4 with 2 XR15 Blue Gen5's for about a year now. I've been thinking of adding a 3rd.

OP
OP
cpllongjk

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you ever decide to do? I'm running a 105.4 with 2 XR15 Blue Gen5's for about a year now. I've been thinking of adding a 3rd.
Hey,

So at first I took others' suggestions and just added a 3rd xr15 gen 4. It was more than enough for my tank. However, I did not like the aesthetic look over the tank at all with 3 lights and 3 cords and the bar... etc.
My 2nd option, which I should have just gone with originally, which was the ReefBreeders 48v2 pro is absolutely amazing. My tank went from "washed out" looking... to HD, no joke! I am a complete fan of Reefbreeders fixtures and will continue to use them if the situation presents itself. Aesthetically, 1 fixture looks a lot better than 3 smalls too.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbreeders Photon V2. That's what I use and I've been happy with it, just spring for the app integration though. I think general belief is you can get "5 good years" out of LED light before it loses PAR and the like. Maybe that's an old wives tale.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reefbreeders Photon V2. That's what I use and I've been happy with it, just spring for the app integration though. I think general belief is you can get "5 good years" out of LED light before it loses PAR and the like. Maybe that's an old wives tale.

I think the consensus is after 5 years there is degradation in output, and true uv diodes may be toast entirely at that point, but even with 20-30% degradation, which is significant, those of us who only need 50% or so power levels to reach ideal par can simply increase the juice. That is if you’re someone who doesn’t feel the need to upgrade constantly. Well cared for radions from the first few generations are still running and providing adequate par. I have a buddy who was running frag tanks with first gen AI Sol units with no burnt out diodes as recently as last year. Even with degradation in output, most reputable led units will provide adequate par

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the consensus is after 5 years there is degradation in output, and true uv diodes may be toast entirely at that point, but even with 20-30% degradation, which is significant, those of us who only need 50% or so power levels to reach ideal par can simply increase the juice. That is if you’re someone who doesn’t feel the need to upgrade constantly. Well cared for radions from the first few generations are still running and providing adequate par. I have a buddy who was running frag tanks with first gen AI Sol units with no burnt out diodes as recently as last year. Even with degradation in output, most reputable led units will provide adequate par
Good to know. It's so hard to parse the facts from the marketing push. Of coarse you need new lights every 5 years???? WHY WOULDN'T YOU? lol.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not engineer, but cant you just chang out the individual diodes as the lights age the electronics parts dont go bad just the emitters right?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting fixtures that use individual leds would be fairly easy. Fixtures that use densely packed surface mount leds (kessil) will be almost impossible for the average diy'er. Sourcing high quality leds from a reputable source may be an issue.

some may place more value on replacing the individual leds and getting more life out of a fixture. Some may want the new features that come with a new fixture.

MaD_ReefeR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

So at first I took others' suggestions and just added a 3rd xr15 gen 4. It was more than enough for my tank. However, I did not like the aesthetic look over the tank at all with 3 lights and 3 cords and the bar... etc.
My 2nd option, which I should have just gone with originally, which was the ReefBreeders 48v2 pro is absolutely amazing. My tank went from "washed out" looking... to HD, no joke! I am a complete fan of Reefbreeders fixtures and will continue to use them if the situation presents itself. Aesthetically, 1 fixture looks a lot better than 3 smalls too.
Any pics? Have been contemplating this light as one of my options, wanting to stick to a single unit as well and not having to mount multiple AI's or XR's

Back