Lineatus Needs Your Help!

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this beautiful healthy lineatus a couple of weeks ago. Long story short, he was getting picked on by my huge established leopard wrasse, so I put him in a QT to recover (no meds). He was in the 10g qt for a week and was eating aggressively (Even pellets). I woke up this am and he was swimming funny but still eating. I pulled him out of the QT and slowly dripped acclimated him to my established display water in a bucket with a air stone. I figured the QT had some ammonia and that was the cause of the damage. Now he is in my display but seems to be locked up and swimming upside down for the past couple of hours, but he is breathing and eating normal. It's almost as though he has some neurological damage (short or long term) from lack of oxygen caused by ammonia damage to his gills. This is my theory but I would greatly appreciate any other point of views or treatment plans. I DON'T WANT TO LOSE THIS GUY!

Should I track down some METH Blue and give him a bath?

Should I leave him in and hope for recovery?

Has anyone experienced these symptoms?

PLEASE HELP!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the possible swim bladder problem. There's a video on here on how to properly vent a swim bladder.

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tend to agree - it seems as though the center of his body (swim bladder's rough location) is rather more buoyant than it should be.

~Bruce
Idk but the time I saw this was a possible swim bladder problem

Probably more likely since I was careful with the qt process and changed the water often.

How does it just develop overnight when he was so healthy and happy..?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had an easy answer for that one . . .

Y'know, constipation could be an answer here as well - one thing that I know might help with that is offering a smushed up pea. (Goldfish, subject to constipation due to their deformed bodies, _love_ smushed peas - wrasses may be more of a challenge . . . )

~Bruce

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I placed the wrasses in a separate qt to minimize stress. The qt has been medicated with kanaplex to help with any infection that may have caused this.

He is still eating a lot this morning, but either has a full belly or the more air in his swim bladder. I have also noticed that his right side is usually the side he floats to.

I plan on running the 3 days of kana then 50% water change, while keeping him full by feeding multiple times a day.

I am considering the degassing procedure but Not for another couple of days, due to the inflicted trauma as a last resort.

Couple of questions:
Does swim bladder disease EVER get better by itself?

Should I soak his food in anything while he is still aggressively eating? (he ate over 15 mysis shrimp yesterday)

Thanks for the help!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on running the 3 days of kana then 50% water change, while keeping him full by feeding multiple times a day.
If you are going to run kanaplex, do it for 10 days minimum. Dose the recommended amount on the package every other day with a water change right before each dose. You don't want to use anitbiotics and not do the full round/dose of it.
Does swim bladder disease EVER get better by itself?
Occasionally it can correct itself, but it's not a regular occurrence.
Should I soak his food in anything while he is still aggressively eating?
You can soak his food in vitamins to help boost his immune system.

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to run kanaplex, do it for 10 days minimum. Dose the recommended amount on the package every other day with a water change right before each dose. You don't want to use anitbiotics and not do the full round/dose of it.

Occasionally it can correct itself, but it's not a regular occurrence.

You can soak his food in vitamins to help boost his immune system.
Thanks!

I was thinking about going to get Selcon for the food. I'll do that today.

As for the kana, I must have read it wrong. I guess it's redose every three days? Appreciate it! Last thing she needs is some resistant bacterial strain.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the kana, I must have read it wrong. I guess it's redose every three days?

Yeah, the directions aren't very good. Ignore everything on the package except for the dosing amount per gallon. Dose every other day for ten days with a water change right before each dose. You can go longer if needed.

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Marquiseo @zibba
I just read through your thread about the same issue, same fish.
I know it has been two years since you guys encountered this with your wrasses, but do you have any advice?
Does this look like your cases?

Thanks!

OP
OP
K

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at page 101 (onward) here: http://fishdata.siu.edu/vet/necropsy.pdf

@Lionfish Lair might have something better.
Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for!

The bulge seems larger today. Although it appears to be more along the intestinal tract/ liver. Maybe the swim bladder is filling up, causes these organs to portrude.

I work on an ambulance so i grabbed some 18 and 24 g needles. I plan on attempting this on the weekend as long as the fish keeps eating. If it stops eating I'll do it earlier.

Any thoughts on this plan of approach?

Maybe I should try earlier while it is still eating?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back