Linespot TRIGGER need help!

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
So yesterday morning my trigger was fine, ate like a pig, everything normal. Last night it jumped out of the tank and managed to land on top of my tank cover, it was out for a few seconds before I heard it and put him back in. He proceeded to try to have his mouth out the water kinda swimming up out of the surface (I have a video I’ll try to upload) or will put pics. This morning, it’s just slowly going back and forth, it’s rear fin is clamped and while I’m happy it ate a little, it didn’t by any means run after food like it normally does, it was almost in a daze like his girlfriend just broke up with him. No changes in livestock, or parameters or anything else I can think of. Especially if it was fine 12 hours ago. The first three pics are from last night and the last one with the clamped fin is from this morning. I’m thinking of doing a WC tonight? Also I think it bit one of my angelfish because the poor thing had a big cut on the top and the side was also hurt. Is that possible with this trigger? Any ideas, suggestions?

F1679271-3C43-47B0-8468-81961EF90B5C.png 024369EC-4C8E-451D-A7BD-E76C8B2AA7B6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys,
So yesterday morning my trigger was fine, ate like a pig, everything normal. Last night it jumped out of the tank and managed to land on top of my tank cover, it was out for a few seconds before I heard it and put him back in. He proceeded to try to have his mouth out the water kinda swimming up out of the surface (I have a video I’ll try to upload) or will put pics. This morning, it’s just slowly going back and forth, it’s rear fin is clamped and while I’m happy it ate a little, it didn’t by any means run after food like it normally does, it was almost in a daze like his girlfriend just broke up with him. No changes in livestock, or parameters or anything else I can think of. Especially if it was fine 12 hours ago. The first three pics are from last night and the last one with the clamped fin is from this morning. I’m thinking of doing a WC tonight? Also I think it bit one of my angelfish because the poor thing had a big cut on the top and the side was also hurt. Is that possible with this trigger? Any ideas, suggestions?

F1679271-3C43-47B0-8468-81961EF90B5C.png 024369EC-4C8E-451D-A7BD-E76C8B2AA7B6.jpeg
Jumping is traumatic for any fish and often you will see effects of lost slime, cloudy eyes temporary damage to gills and body. Finding fish right away helps. The porpoiseing you see may be due to fish trying to get oxygen while it gets gill function to restore and fins may be fin ray damage. Adding stress coat which contains aloe may help but thats a maybe. Add air stone for added oxygen.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

What all fish are in this tank? What are their relative sizes as well?

The trigger’s soft fins have shredded edges - while that could be from jumping out and flailing its fins, it also could be another fish has been biting at it, driving it to jump out. If that was the case, the same fish could have also damaged the angelfish.

For mechanical damage, there is no treatment other than keeping the fish calm and allow it to heal. Sometimes lowering the lights can help calm the fish.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with both above - in addition a fish out of water can swallow a bit of air - and it may be that - or a damaged swim bladder?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping is traumatic for any fish and often you will see effects of lost slime, cloudy eyes temporary damage to gills and body. Finding fish right away helps. The porpoiseing you see may be due to fish trying to get oxygen while it gets gill function to restore and fins may be fin ray damage. Adding stress coat which contains aloe may help but thats a maybe. Add air stone for added oxygen.
I felt like I saw a change in coloration for eyes and body. Stress coat is ok to add to entire tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I felt like I saw a change in coloration for eyes and body. Stress coat is ok to add to entire tank?
Yes on stress coat - Its a water conditioner with aloe and the color changes you see coincide with stress and protective slime loss along with any bouncing it did while out of water. Bacterial infection can develop but thats a Maybe.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all fish are in this tank? What are their relative sizes as well?

The trigger’s soft fins have shredded edges - while that could be from jumping out and flailing its fins, it also could be another fish has been biting at it, driving it to jump out. If that was the case, the same fish could have also damaged the angelfish.

For mechanical damage, there is no treatment other than keeping the fish calm and allow it to heal. Sometimes lowering the lights can help calm the fish.

Jay
The other fish I have are tangs, foxface, and a new pink fish I’m not sure what it is. But this trigger is definitely one of the bigger fish, my rabbit fish is bigger than this but so peaceful. No one really messes with any other fish, I feel like the trigger can get aggressive sometimes but that’s about it. My orange shoulder tang is about the triggers size but I’ve never seen it aggressive. I honestly don’t turn on my lights because even with the natural light I deal with algae on the rocks so I don’t turn on my lights. Maybe a couple times a month for a few hours but not alot.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on stress coat - Its a water conditioner with aloe and the color changes you see coincide with stress and protective slime loss along with any bouncing it did while out of water. Bacterial infection can develop but thats a Maybe.
Should I still do a WC? Ever since I removed my sand I feel like my ammonia levels differ sometimes, I read 0 other times I get a .25 reading? I’m assuming it will take the tank some time to balance out?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Should I still do a WC? Ever since I removed my sand I feel like my ammonia levels differ sometimes, I read 0 other times I get a .25 reading? I’m assuming it will take the tank some time to balance out?
When changing water allow 8-12 hours for tank to settle as you may get false readings. Additionally, if using a lower end kit, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
0.25 ammonia - especially if vacillating between - and 0.25 - are probably all 'zero' - I would not worry about it. IMHO - there is nothing wrong (or right) - with API tests - assuming you're using them. The way you determine the value with the API ammonia test is - pick the color that is closer to the value on the paper - and pick that one. I.e. many people think if its slightly green that means 0.25 - thats not true - according to the directions - its still 0.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When changing water allow 8-12 hours for tank to settle as you may get false readings. Additionally, if using a lower end kit, take a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
One local store near me uses the api test strips, not even the liquid drops. The other (one I go to) uses an API test kit but apparently not the dropper another kind. And yes my readings on nitrates are off, they tested once to be around 20 and mine was showing around 80ppm. I’ll do it again and note it this time to get a more accurate idea of the difference.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.25 ammonia - especially if vacillating between - and 0.25 - are probably all 'zero' - I would not worry about it. IMHO - there is nothing wrong (or right) - with API tests - assuming you're using them. The way you determine the value with the API ammonia test is - pick the color that is closer to the value on the paper - and pick that one. I.e. many people think if it’s slightly green that means 0.25 - thats not true - according to the directions - its still 0.
Yes my api kit tests slightly green which reads 0.25, occasionally my api ammonia badge also reads 0.25 but I don’t think it’s very accurate anymore I’ve had it for a few months now.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Update: When I came it was swimming towards the top with the rear fin open, not like yesterday though. It went to sleep under a different rock, not the one he normally uses and I saw his fin closed again, maybe because the space was too small and my rabbit fish was also right next to him. I’ll update you guys tomorrow, hopefully resting through the night he’ll be good.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back