Lionfish showoff

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a big fan I saw a post for a lionfish and I’m considerng a dwarf for my 75g reef.

Let’s see those lionfish pics especially if they are in your reef. Any tips although I don’t put my hand in the tank as before when I started from time to time I do to move thing around

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I'm an advocate of at least supplementing a dwarf lion's diet with live food; my strongest recommendation for most is to qt and get your lion eating dead food really well before putting them in the dt. Most times dwarfs come in eating live food only or really not eating enough dead food to survive. If you are going to feed a dead food diet they will need to be target fed, they won;t ever eat enough from the water column to sustain for long term. So studying up on feeding challenges is the number suggestion.

have you checked out this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lionfish-lovers-thread.255597/
and here's a shot of my lion's reef:

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tips! I got a fuzzy dwarf he’s been eating live ghost but got him to eat frozen krill, I used a straw stuffed one in with the head out and kinda walked him on the rocks to look animated, if I floated the krill on the water column he would just dismiss it, he’s only eating the ones with eyes and you gotta make sure he sees the eyes in a natural way noticed that if I lay the krill upside down he would loose interest flip him and he imidialty goes on hunt mode. So fun to watch these guys.

3DC5F77F-F633-482A-92AB-2ECD582BD649.jpeg

9F8A3AAE-9854-4F23-88F8-D49854D9EA59.jpeg

20326631-B56A-4DC3-9D94-DC30CDA58AD9.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tips! I got a fuzzy dwarf he’s been eating live ghost but got him to eat frozen krill, I used a straw stuffed one in with the head out and kinda walked him on the rocks to look animated, if I floated the krill on the water column he would just dismiss it, he’s only eating the ones with eyes and you gotta make sure he sees the eyes in a natural way noticed that if I lay the krill upside down he would loose interest flip him and he imidialty goes on hunt mode. So fun to watch these guys.

3DC5F77F-F633-482A-92AB-2ECD582BD649.jpeg

9F8A3AAE-9854-4F23-88F8-D49854D9EA59.jpeg

20326631-B56A-4DC3-9D94-DC30CDA58AD9.jpeg

Go to an asian, the popular one around here is Ranch Market. In the frozen section with the shrimp, they sell krill and even call them tiny shrimp. The color is that of human grade dead shrimp and they are fully formed; not pink. I pick out the fully formed ones and just drop them in my lion's tank. You may also have some luck with this stuff called silverfish, thaw out a big enough chunk and you'll get some fully formed with eyes, sometimes they will take one or two; my other fish enjoy these as well, including my ribbon eel occasionally. Oh and the krill is $4 for a 7oz pack.

005.jpg

012.jpg

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to an asian, the popular one around here is Ranch Market. In the frozen section with the shrimp, they sell krill and even call them tiny shrimp. The color is that of human grade dead shrimp and they are fully formed; not pink. I pick out the fully formed ones and just drop them in my lion's tank. You may also have some luck with this stuff called silverfish, thaw out a big enough chunk and you'll get some fully formed with eyes, sometimes they will take one or two; my other fish enjoy these as well, including my ribbon eel occasionally. Oh and the krill is $4 for a 7oz pack.

005.jpg

012.jpg

Taking a walk to China town after work! I want to have a nice variety, Will stuffing them With pellets a good idea? I have some NLS pellets that are too small for fishes I was thinking to use them up on this. I’m so anxious to add him to the DT. Also I have mostly sps flow is a bit heavier will this be fine or will keep him hiden more often?

I have a Pom Pom crab which I thought was a gonner but saw him a few days ago he definitely has an expiration date he’s a small one, he’s never out Day or night I think it’s my wrasses

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fuzzy!

That's great news that it is eating krill.

Thank you!

I wanted a yellow one but this one was definitely unique or at least I haven’t seen, the side of his belly has a bunch of fuzzy hairs he looks awesome!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking a walk to China town after work! I want to have a nice variety, Will stuffing them With pellets a good idea? I have some NLS pellets that are too small for fishes I was thinking to use them up on this. I’m so anxious to add him to the DT. Also I have mostly sps flow is a bit heavier will this be fine or will keep him hiden more often?

I have a Pom Pom crab which I thought was a gonner but saw him a few days ago he definitely has an expiration date he’s a small one, he’s never out Day or night I think it’s my wrasses

I enhance my food with vits and efas, and gut load my ghosties with pellets, you can see them in their bellies, so I don't see a problem , just a little probably goes a long way.

The pom pom crab will likely be fine, I've never seen these guys eat hard bodied inverts.

My reef has good flow, not sps flow, and my guys are out all the time. There does need to be some spots in the tank blocked from the heavy flow though, or you may find him just perching in the same spot all the time.

Here's my creamsickle fuzzy(that's what I called him). he was very sick when i got and went through multiple rounds of meds. These guys don't seem to live too long if they have been treated with meds for extended periods of time. Likely some sort of organ failure, I've cut them open in the past to see organs literally liquefied. This guy lasted about 1.5 years, doing really well, then just dead overnight.

006.jpg

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enhance my food with vits and efas, and gut load my ghosties with pellets, you can see them in their bellies, so I don't see a problem , just a little probably goes a long way.

The pom pom crab will likely be fine, I've never seen these guys eat hard bodied inverts.

My reef has good flow, not sps flow, and my guys are out all the time. There does need to be some spots in the tank blocked from the heavy flow though, or you may find him just perching in the same spot all the time.

Here's my creamsickle fuzzy(that's what I called him). he was very sick when i got and went through multiple rounds of meds. These guys don't seem to live too long if they have been treated with meds for extended periods of time. Likely some sort of organ failure, I've cut them open in the past to see organs literally liquefied. This guy lasted about 1.5 years, doing really well, then just dead overnight.

006.jpg

Gorgeous Lion!!! I wanted somewhat similar either nicely red or yellow.

Most of my LR is sitting on smaller rocks I have lots of caves

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many times they may be brown when you 1st get them, then brighten up quite a bit if they are in a healthy tank with a healthy diet. My lion's reef started as a rescue, I got a sickly starving brown one many years ago. I'll post a pic of him later, he ended up almost being florescent red after living with me. A live diet of shrimp may have something to do with though.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They almost always look brown or brownish when they 1st come in, even the true red morphs. Likely due to stress and poor conditions, this guy came in as brown as you could imagine; this is what he turned into.

IMG_20160704_134828.jpg

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how he’s been taking them! Straw and krill lol Tonight he didn’t even hesitate straight to it but still with eyes only but he’s been looking more interested every day, begging in the background

EDFAEEF5-ADD7-4560-8D37-D70BA7397AAF.jpeg

28DAFA45-3E4B-4EC0-8274-2DD1B29C604F.jpeg

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep stick feeding him until he gets it. Then move to hand feeding. My volitan got the point that any time I put my hand in the tank he thought he was getting fed

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

A LFS is trying to pass this off as a fuzzy dwarf but I think it’s a regular dwarf. What do you guys think?

B36D62E4-A968-45CF-A118-43F7AB36F516.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

A LFS is trying to pass this off as a fuzzy dwarf but I think it’s a regular dwarf. What do you guys think?

B36D62E4-A968-45CF-A118-43F7AB36F516.png

I don't really think they are trying to pass it off more than they just don't know. It was likely listed as a dwarf lionfish so the only thing they know is fuzzy. The zebra is not to be over looked, they are quite beautiful and have a very outgoing personality. He's just brown and drab due to stress and poor conditions, in a healthy tank he's a wonderful addition. Zebra on the right, fuzzy on the left.

001.jpg

OP
OP
Oshengems

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really think they are trying to pass it off more than they just don't know. It was likely listed as a dwarf lionfish so the only thing they know is fuzzy. The zebra is not to be over looked, they are quite beautiful and have a very outgoing personality. He's just brown and drab due to stress and poor conditions, in a healthy tank he's a wonderful addition. Zebra on the right, fuzzy on the left.

001.jpg

That fuzzy you had is goals! I will start to plan an upgrade to a 120g and will consider a 2nd Lionfish if I find the right one. Truly in love with these fishes and their personality so I tap my tank on the top 2 times with the Tongs I used to feed him and he replies right away he’s getting used to “that’s food” feels like a pet dog how he’s starting to beg for food I bet can eat for ever if I keep feeding him lol thought that with my high flow in my tank he would not swim often my first lionfish never used to pass a powerhead that was his home:( but this fuzzy swims everywhere and loves the camera.

Just a few pics to keep in this thread.

3B55EE7D-6205-4A6F-904F-0A63EABED0D1.jpeg

AFE5096E-0C6A-42EE-B892-17F773C6B6BC.jpeg

15B3C84C-8C16-43CF-B449-6DB520107E87.jpeg

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

001.jpg
Absolutely beautiful yellow fuzzy. Hope I can get one soon too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back