Lionfish

Saiyuki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely new to all of this so I really need some input. I received a lionfish from someone as I was starting my tank. He seems really health and loves to swim around the tank. His colors are good and he eats only shrimp pieces 3 times a day. The thing that I am questioning is: I have 2 bridges setup up of live rock and he loves to go underneath one of the bridges and hang upside down. :neutral: Sometimes he sit horizontal, vertical, and upside down too. I am just wondering if that is normal behavior for a lionfish? Please let me know. Thank you :smile:

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats fairly normal behavior for lionfish. 3x a day feeding might be a little much tho, i think you are supposed to feed them like 3x weekly.

kfennell

New Hobbyisy Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah agree with above, they sleep upside down naturally I believe, and they dont really need to eat that much at all.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is natural behaviour for a lion... no worries!

Feeding regime depends on the size of the lion... if its a baby (dwarf or not) it should be fed daily. I'd recommend feeding adults every-other day by means of gorging... feed them a lot (at once) on the day that you feed. Make sure during every feeding the belly is very plump, and you'll be A-OK!

Back