Live rock from local beaches

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went rock hunting today and found some really cool rock with green algae growing on it. I put it in a 5 gal bucket with water and brought it home. ( I live less than 20 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico) . I rinsed them well with water from my tank and added them to my tank. They look really good and I read online that it was ok to put rock from beaches in your tank. The water is still crystal clear. I also purchased 2 pounds of small pieces of live rock from my LFS to make a rock pile in the back corner of my tank so I can hopefully cultivate copepod's so that my fish have a natural source of food to go along with the frozen. I think my tank is starting to look great and I have not lost one member of my cleaning crew. Does this look ok to y'all?
IMG_4284.JPG IMG_4283.JPG

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!! Not sure if it's ok to add rocks from the beach but I would presume it's ok since I mean the live rocks gotta come from some where. What size tank is it?

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!! Not sure if it's ok to add rocks from the beach but I would presume it's ok since I mean the live rocks gotta come from some where. What size tank is it?
It's a 30 gal cube. I know I need more live rock and I am adding more every time I get a chance. I just want to be able to cultivate copepods and make my aquarium as natural as possible.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock from beaches can be good or bad. Remember the waves crashing into the beach is nature's protein skimmer. It is throwing sunscreen, tanning oil and other unnatural things out of the ocean. Rock from underwater away from the beaches would be safer.

Nice cube! I do have a word of caution however. You need to get rid of that green algae before it spreads like wildfire. Do you have a cleanup crew that you actually see eating it?

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock from beaches can be good or bad. Remember the waves crashing into the beach is nature's protein skimmer. It is throwing sunscreen, tanning oil and other unnatural things out of the ocean. Rock from underwater away from the beaches would be safer.

Nice cube! I do have a word of caution however. You need to get rid of that green algae before it spreads like wildfire. Do you have a cleanup crew that you actually see eating it?
I have hermit crabs, a turbo snails. bumble bee snails, a short spine urchin, a couple of peppermint shrimp. and I will be adding live copepods and I read that they like the green algae. I am only keeping one of the rocks with algae the other one is going in a tank at the school I work at.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hermit crabs, a turbo snails. bumble bee snails, a short spine urchin, a couple of peppermint shrimp. and I will be adding live copepods and I read that they like the green algae. I am only keeping one of the rocks with algae the other one is going in a tank at the school I work at.
Chances are that algae is bryopsis. It doesn't look like anything has been eating it. It is bad news and I definitely wouldn't put it in another tank as it will (for lack of a better word) infect it. And until just recently bryopsis is unkillable. It takes over in a bad way as does green hair algae :( pull a piece of it, put it in something white, add a small amount of water just enough for it to fluff out and take as close a picture of it as you can. Then add a capful of hydrogen peroxide on it. If it turns white by morning it is most likely green hair algae. If it has feathers and not single bladed and doesn't turn white it's bryopsis.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are that algae is bryopsis. It doesn't look like anything has been eating it. It is bad news and I definitely wouldn't put it in another tank as it will (for lack of a better word) infect it. And until just recently bryopsis is unkillable. It takes over in a bad way as does green hair algae :( pull a piece of it, put it in something white, add a small amount of water just enough for it to fluff out and take as close a picture of it as you can. Then add a capful of hydrogen peroxide on it. If it turns white by morning it is most likely green hair algae. If it has feathers and not single bladed and doesn't turn white it's bryopsis.
I'll take the rock out right now. Its only been in the tank for a few hours.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take the rock out right now. Its only been in the tank for a few hours.
It may already be too late due to spores. However, these is a way to kill it now and is completely harmless to livestock and corals. Should you see any growing pm Rick^ or myself and we can show you how to kill it.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4286.JPG IMG_4285.JPG My coral banded shrimp, hermits, and snails are all over the rock. Guess I'll chase them off and take it out of the tank.. :(

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4286.JPG IMG_4285.JPG My coral banded shrimp, hermits, and snails are all over the rock. Guess I'll chase them off and take it out of the tank.. :(
They're probably picking it all the little bugs and stuff. It's a shame they are nice looking rocks. If you really wanted to keep them you could treat them with a medication called fluconazole which could be purchased from pet medication websites because it is otherwise prescription only. However there are rules to it's use.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To bad its covered with that algae. I feel the same as the others about anything taken close to the shoreline/beach. It's possiblly contaminated with god knows what.

Most live rock that I'm aware of is harvested some miles of the coasts for this reason.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're probably picking it all the little bugs and stuff. It's a shame they are nice looking rocks. If you really wanted to keep them you could treat them with a medication called fluconazole which could be purchased from pet medication websites because it is otherwise prescription only. However there are rules to it's use.
Thanks... I'll remove the rock. I have a few more of the same rocks that have no algae on them is it ok to keep them in the tank?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I'll remove the rock. I have a few more of the same rocks that have no algae on them is it ok to keep them in the tank?

If they were taken in the same area as these, I wouldn't use them. Just too many what if's.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust it. If you really like the rocks you could save them and give them a good acid wash and set them outside in the sun and weather for a couple of months. Then you can cure them and make them live again.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust it. If you really like the rocks you could save them and give them a good acid wash and set them outside in the sun and weather for a couple of months. Then you can cure them and make them live again.
What kind of acid?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of acid?
Muriatic acid there's a thread somewhere on the Forum for acid washing rocks. Use the search tool you should be able to find it. And I would also treat those rocks for bryopsis because that way you're sure that it will not grow back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back