Live Rock

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,
What is the best place to get live cured rock these days ? And which type of rock is better is popular now? I want some real nice pieces with some coraline algea as well ! Thanks for your thoughts

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spendy dang. I remember paying 4.99-7.99lb back when i started. Lfs had flordia rock with crabs in it and everything. Lol
D

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
KP Aquatics doesn't sell pre-cured rock, but they can ship it in water, and rock shipped in water will have a pretty minimal cure time and very minimal die-off. Just do some water changes. You'll get all sorts of good stuff. Saw someone get an entire (unfortunately dead) small eel on their shipment recently.

Live rock nowadays is maricultured. The outfits licensed to sell it dump dead coral rock (dug from quarries) in the ocean for a good few years, then pull it back out. Much better for the environment than chopping up existing reefs, and the biodiversity should be pretty similar. All the stuff that would normally settle and likely die on the sand where the rock is placed, instead wind up on the rock. Just like how new reefs get established.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liverocknreef.com for sure. Thier live rock comes full of life and corals. I have had 3 great experiences with them and their quality and colors are amazing!!
well known company ? gotta be careful that no unwanted pests come with the rocks ... is this better than carib sea life rock ?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out gulf live rock.com
Not going to find better rock. Same exact rock as live rock n reef comes full of life and corals.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes because caribsea is the equivalent of dry concrete and it may or may not have painted bacteria

ocean rocks have benthic higher order life forms and instant ready bacteria. liferock has cycling time required, but not curing time where it would leak ammonia from dieoff of oceanic benthic life.

your initial hunt is the right one, get it from a pet store. drive to it

if you cant drive to get your own skip cycle cured rocks, then curing out one of the mailed options is second best because its more diversity than dry rocks.

*disclaimer
if caribsea liferock has sat in someones reef tank for five years, then its pretty much the same as what you want.

Mterry9239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well known company ? gotta be careful that no unwanted pests come with the rocks ... is this better than carib sea life rock ?
Yes liverocknreef.com is well known. I have used 3 times and never have had aiptasia, mantis shrimp etc. No unwanted pest. If you click on my profile pic that rock is from there. Great quality, came full of corals and crabs. Should check their site out and read into their story. The owner calls you directly and arranges the shipment and speaks to you about what it is he is offering in detail.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes because caribsea is the equivalent of dry concrete and it may or may not have painted bacteria

ocean rocks have benthic higher order life forms and instant ready bacteria. liferock has cycling time required, but not curing time where it would leak ammonia from dieoff of oceanic benthic life.

your initial hunt is the right one, get it from a pet store. drive to it

if you cant drive to get your own skip cycle cured rocks, then curing out one of the mailed options is second best because its more diversity than dry rocks.

*disclaimer
if caribsea liferock has sat in someones reef tank for five years, then its pretty much the same as what you want.
So what Live rock website do you suggest ?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever they’ve recommended I never buy the shipped stuff mines from fish store bin marked live rock w coralline

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics doesn't sell pre-cured rock, but they can ship it in water, and rock shipped in water will have a pretty minimal cure time and very minimal die-off. Just do some water changes. You'll get all sorts of good stuff. Saw someone get an entire (unfortunately dead) small eel on their shipment recently.

Live rock nowadays is maricultured. The outfits licensed to sell it dump dead coral rock (dug from quarries) in the ocean for a good few years, then pull it back out. Much better for the environment than chopping up existing reefs, and the biodiversity should be pretty similar. All the stuff that would normally settle and likely die on the sand where the rock is placed, instead wind up on the rock. Just like how new reefs get established.
so do you like carib sea life rock, GULF live rock or rocknreef ?

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 60lbs kp in my tank. It was shipped in water and the life on it is incredible. Had an extremely small cycle .25 ammonia for 3 days . Been in tank for 6 months and still find new life all the time. Highly recommended. Will NEVER set up a tank with out real live rock.

MLREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on the type of rock that you are looking for.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so do you like carib sea life rock, GULF live rock or rocknreef ?
As others have said Carib sea life rock is just pink colored dry rock. Its nice for dry rock. I think gulf live rock is the cheapest option for ocean procured rock But some folks want their rock shipped in bags of water which I don’t think they do.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said Carib sea life rock is just pink colored dry rock. Its nice for dry rock. I think gulf live rock is the cheapest option for ocean procured rock But some folks want their rock shipped in bags of water which I don’t think they do.
i think im going to go with rockNreef!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back