Live stocking ideas! HELP MEEE

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the dottyback colors, try a royal gramma. Similar behavior but much more peaceful and colorful imo.
Gobies hide a lot, it’s what they do. A pistol shrimp may keep the watchman out more though.
All of the mentioned fish are active and attractive, just keep an eye on the more aggressive guys like dottybacks or wrasses.
The way I see it, it’s good to have less active fish because it makes for a fun game of hide and seek and makes the tank feel more like a complete ecosystem rather than a box of water.

OP
OP
GuilhermeLba

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the dottyback colors, try a royal gramma. Similar behavior but much more peaceful and colorful imo.
Gobies hide a lot, it’s what they do. A pistol shrimp may keep the watchman out more though.
All of the mentioned fish are active and attractive, just keep an eye on the more aggressive guys like dottybacks or wrasses.
The way I see it, it’s good to have less active fish because it makes for a fun game of hide and seek and makes the tank feel more like a complete ecosystem rather than a box of water.
Totally agree with u.
In my country pistol shrimp is prohibited, we cant find it :(
And royal gramma is a great option indeed, is he shy?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with u.
In my country pistol shrimp is prohibited, we cant find it :(
And royal gramma is a great option indeed, is he shy?
When I had mine, it was shy at first but after a few days to weeks it would patrol the tank, stocking near the rocks but almost always visible. They are a lot like mbunas in that way. They stay by the rocks and are always moving, but will disappear if there is trouble.
Mine died of velvet, I’ll be getting another soon so I’ll see if it’s behavior is any different.
Firefish are similar. They are shy at first but eventually warm up to you.

OP
OP
GuilhermeLba

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had mine, it was shy at first but after a few days to weeks it would patrol the tank, stocking near the rocks but almost always visible. They are a lot like mbunas in that way. They stay by the rocks and are always moving, but will disappear if there is trouble.
Mine died of velvet, I’ll be getting another soon so I’ll see if it’s behavior is any different.
Firefish are similar. They are shy at first but eventually warm up to you.
Oh, I get it! Royal Gramma is stunning, I wasnt considering it cause i heard that they were too shy, just come out hiding to eat, now Im gonna think of it and the firefish as well. if choose to keep going with the fridmani, might keep him with a firefish, if I choose a royal gramma, I still dont know which fish would be the fifth one, might go as well with another firefish, I guess, What do u think?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you at the end of the day, firefish are one of my favorites so I would be biased lol...
That said, firefish is a good fish. They occupy all areas, but are peaceful so they won’t get in the way of others. The sand will be controlled by the goby, the rocks by the gramma or dottyback, and the open water by the clowns. The firefish would be mostly open water but won’t get in trouble with anyone. Just have a good lid with one. Seems like the reds are the least skittish (but they are all very skittish, especially at first).

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what Im afraid of, stocking with too shy fishes. I love ywg, but I would love to see him more and Im afraid to get that feeling with another blenny or goby, like firefish, never considered an wrasse or dwarf angel, what's ur suggestion? I love the blue in the yellow tail damsel, but Im afraid to put it together with a pair of ocellaris..
i'd keep the ywg honestly. sure mine is shy but when he does come out he has a massive personality. maybe try adding a pistol shrimp to have some more to look at.

as for your other ideas

fridmani - could work. they tend to dart through the rocks from what i have heard and gradually come out of their shells with time. if you want small flashes of purple in the rocks, maybe it would be a good choice.

damsel - i'd personally go for a safer bet. springer's and rolland's damsels are my personal picks but there is anecdotal evidence for every damsel.

if i were you i'd consider any of these fishes to add since they all have unique personalities

- pink streak or possum wrasse (more cryptic like the fridmani)
- a coral beauty or cherub dwarf angel
- a small basslet like a chalk basslet or royal gramma (i had one that swam through the rockwork and chased fish away from its cave, but was otherwise peaceful and i would definitely try another one)
- long nose hawkfish (a risk to small shrimp but has a unique swimming style)
- flasher wrasse
- peaceful damsel (there will be mixed opinions on this but i love my rolland's damsel so far. her name is ray :) )

i'd consider maybe having a larger fish like the flasher or dwarf angel as a centerpiece and then have an additional small fish or two like a damsel, hawkfish, gramma, or possum/pinkstreak wrasse.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd keep the ywg honestly. sure mine is shy but when he does come out he has a massive personality. maybe try adding a pistol shrimp to have some more to look at.

as for your other ideas

fridmani - could work. they tend to dart through the rocks from what i have heard and gradually come out of their shells with time. if you want small flashes of purple in the rocks, maybe it would be a good choice.

damsel - i'd personally go for a safer bet. springer's and rolland's damsels are my personal picks but there is anecdotal evidence for every damsel.

if i were you i'd consider any of these fishes to add since they all have unique personalities

- a small basslet like a chalk basslet or royal gramma (i had one that swam through the rockwork and chased fish away from its cave, but was otherwise peaceful and i would definitely try another one)
- flasher wrasse
- peaceful damsel (there will be mixed opinions on this but i love my rolland's damsel so far. her name is ray :) )

i'd consider maybe having a larger fish like the flasher or dwarf angel as a centerpiece and then have an additional small fish or two like a damsel, hawkfish, gramma, or possum/pinkstreak wrasse.
Pistols were illegal by the op.

I agree with the point on a larger centerpiece fish. Didn’t think about that one. Dwarf angel is a good fish to add.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistols were illegal by the op.

I agree with the point on a larger centerpiece fish. Didn’t think about that one. Dwarf angel is a good fish to add.
i want a dwarf angel so badly but my tank is too small. so i'll recommend them to anybody i can because they're just so darn pretty!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 20 gallons. i'd feel bad putting one in anything under 30 gallons. 30-35 is a little more adequate imo.
Ah I see. Must have instinctually thought I was replying to the op.
For color and shape damsels can make a good alternative.

OP
OP
GuilhermeLba

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you at the end of the day, firefish are one of my favorites so I would be biased lol...
That said, firefish is a good fish. They occupy all areas, but are peaceful so they won’t get in the way of others. The sand will be controlled by the goby, the rocks by the gramma or dottyback, and the open water by the clowns. The firefish would be mostly open water but won’t get in trouble with anyone. Just have a good lid with one. Seems like the reds are the least skittish (but they are all very skittish, especially at first).
Ow, really good, thats all want, an entire ecosystem, one in the sand, another one in the rocks, open middle and top, and a good contrast of colors as well
Suggestion noted down, thank u!

OP
OP
GuilhermeLba

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

as for your other ideas

- flasher wrasse

Thank you so much, had to google a lot of those fishes, Im new to the hobby, the beauty of saltwater fishes is outstanding.
Just loved cherub dwarf angel and coral beauty, I really think that my tank needs a blue fish and flasher wrasse caught as well, gonna search here in my country if I can find them for sale :D

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with u, my biggest fear is just their reputation :(
Species dependent. Guys like dominos and striped usually live up to it, but ones like springers or azure usually aren’t too bad. Doesn’t mean there can’t be anomalies though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back