Livestock Compatibility and Introduction

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by tdunmore2, Jan 17, 2018.

1. tdunmore2

tdunmore2 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I want to have 6 or so Anthias in my new build. I want to get them now and put them in quarantine now so they will be viable to move to the DT when its ready. How many can be together, and whats the best way to keep them from being aggressive? Are their any fish they can't be housed with? I'd also like to add a couple tangs.

The tank will be a little over 90 Gallons.

Looking forward to the communities thoughts!

2. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Much depends on the anthias, and the size of the QT.

Some, such as lyretails ae hardy and brassy, while others, like the spectacularly colored ventralis, are shy and more difficult to work with. Bartlett's have a habit of _all_ turning male, and purple queens are pretty tough to get started a lot of the time.

In a 90, you probably want something a bit on the smaller side - Randall's or resplendents, perhaps.

~Bruce, who _will_ try anthias again . . .

3. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Agreed, it depends on the species.

A group of six randalls or dispars should all be able to be qt'd together. Other species may be more of a challenge, depending on tank size.

Plenty of cover, high flow in the top half/third of the tank, and small frequent feedings help diffuse any hiererarchichal aggression.

tdunmore2 likes this.
  4. tdunmore2

Great info, thanks!
    Can they be added in batches (3 at a time or so?)? Also, should they be added first before any higher aggressive stock?
    I really like the bartletts, but not sure if they are the best fit for this tank. Randall's and dispars were on my list.

So many questions!

5. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I really wish there was a guide or article for anthias that explained the differences between the species, which ones are easier, which ones can be kept singly or in smaller groups, etc.

I would definitely add anthias before tangs.

tdunmore2 likes this.
  6. tdunmore2

I completely agree. Matter of fact, I'd love a solid compatibility chart regarding species of common fish and their housing mates. I often find that the liveaquaria chart is general guide, but not always correct.

7. dede

dede Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I can tell you my red belted anthias is extremely aggressive, I just have one in the tank though so not sure if that makes a difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted