Living Dangerously With Non Reef Safe Fish

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe with caution fish you say?…
Well, let’s start with the most obvious! My Chelmon rostratus. My 4’ tank is heavy with Softies and LPS, this guy hasn’t touched anything. Only things he’ll eat are the already dead shrimp or their sheds. I dislike hermits however I have 3 in the tank along with countless snails and he still doesn’t touch them unless they have life on them. He does however, love to eat Aiptasia… this may have backfired however I’m not 100% sure. The reason I say this is, I used to have a beautiful BTA that may have become victim to this guy.
image.jpg

As for the slightly more obvious one, my Siganus magnificus. This guy is almost totally reef safe to my knowledge, ignored all coral I have and he’s the second specimen I’ve owned to do this. My first ignored all coral (Including Palys and Zoas) much like this guy does. And when I was working in the LFS, these were in almost all systems that could fit them. They were much less likely to eat coral compared to their cousins.
image.jpg

Number 3 most obvious on this list! My Genicanthus melanospilos. This guy has been a model citizen since day 1. Ignores all coral and even the sponges on my rockwork get avoided by all my top 3 RSWC fish. He isn’t my favourite but he’s definitely become one beautiful and unique specimen since “reverting” without a female.
image.jpg

Number 4 most obvious is my Halichoeres chloropterus. This guys has also been a model citizen in my eyes. He may have picked off a few crabs but I still have my strong shelled or nocturnal snails to do the job. He’s never touched coral, alive shrimp or most other inverts (except for small hermit crabs). This guy is my most interesting wrasse and seems to get people untrusted the most as these are always labelled as “Aggressive” whilst mine is totally peaceful. He is also transitioning which is fun as many people in this hobby haven’t seen a Transitional Chloropterus so I hope to document it.
image.jpg

Number 5 goes to… My Halichoeres iridis! This guy is completely reef safe, only picking off the sheds of shrimp or an already dead shrimp. This is an iconic species of Wrasse for me as it was one of my first ever wrasses to own outside of Pseudocheilinus and see in person. He also doesn’t touch the snails I enjoy but will go for flatworms, and other “pests” on coral and in the rockwork but so does my Chloropterus. This guy is more aggressive than my Jade is and usually with new wrasses he will give them the first “beating” to show that he is the king of my wrasse gang.
image.jpg

And number 6 on this list for my least obvious Reef Safe With Caution fish… My Escenius lineatus! This guy shocked me as when you see this blenny and some relatives in the LFS they are told to be completely reed safe. But this guy took a LOVING to my SPS that I have in my nano. SPS is probably the only time I will do a coral > fish situation. If I had something rare in the hobby, for example Escenius pulcher then maybe I could let it slide. But this guy is rather common and not that brightly coloured.
image.jpg

Now, I do have one last RSWC fish I’d die for however I don’t have it right now as I’m still trying to find the right tank for looking down on as well as side on (I think I’ve found one but I don’t know about the price yet). But the fish I’d love and wouldn’t mind SPS nipping from is Centropyge multicolor. This is one of my dream angels to ever own after seeing it in LFSs several times and seeing the colours in person.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much Nopox?
20 ml all at once in the sump 5 outta 7 days in a week. Don't ask why because I have no idea but it seems to be working just fine for all the tank's inhabitants and I like to keep things simple and stick to a routine.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 ml all at once in the sump 5 outta 7 days in a week. Don't ask why because I have no idea but it seems to be working just fine for all the tank's inhabitants and I like to keep things simple and stick to a routine.
So no testing of parameters????

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no testing of parameters????
I test around once a month. Now this might sound strange to some but I use my eyes to tell how this artificial ecosystem is doing. Looking at corals, fish, algae growth, both unwanted and coraline growth which can tell ya alot, and many other visual signs. If you havnt been doing this for a long time I don't suggest doing things that way. I mainly test only Alk, calcium and nitrates. Also I don't do water changes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test around once a month. Now this might sound strange to some but I use my eyes to tell how this artificial ecosystem is doing. Looking at corals, fish, algae growth, both unwanted and coraline growth which can tell ya alot, and many other visual signs. If you havnt been doing this for a long time I don't suggest doing things that way. I mainly test only Alk, calcium and nitrates. Also I don't do water changes.
This is how I do it, although I’m so much worse than you. I rarely need to test and honestly I don’t test every month.

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wish you lived closer - Im trimming back some corals and you could have for free!

A08C7442-E9EF-460E-A99F-A1D3ADF8C800.jpeg
I'm in Somers and work in WP and NRO!!! I could def. use some frags for my new 155 gal which just has rocks and fish atm. I've only been at this a couple years. I'd love to get in with some local groups.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish you lived closer - Im trimming back some corals and you could have for free!

A08C7442-E9EF-460E-A99F-A1D3ADF8C800.jpeg
I don’t know if I’ve asked this already but is that a Forcipiger longirostris? If so then what size was it when you got it?

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’ve asked this already but is that a Forcipiger longirostris? If so then what size was it when you got it?
If Forcipiger longirostris is a longnose yellow butterfly then yes.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a few fish considered non “reef-safe” (never understood that term really) in my 300g that you can see here:

Current lineup is
Regal angel
Majestic angel
Goldflake angel
Cooperband

Will be adding a semilarvatus butterfly and a new moorish idol tonight from my QT.

Since I get asked a lot about keeping these guys in a reef tank I threw together a video a while back:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back