Long distance ATO

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm looking to set up an ATO on my 55 mixed. Problem is, my tank is displayed in my dining room atop a wine cabinet with just enough room for my canister and power strips in right cabinet. I don't want resivoirs/buckets out in the open supplying the ATO. My thought is running the ATO from my RO barrel which is located in my basement. From where my tank sits in my dining room, it's almost directly over my RO barrel. I am thinking this is possible, but need to find a pump with a head lift of about 8-10'. Also, want to instal inline a kalk reactor. Any thoughts?
This is my tank and wine cabinet from when the tank was first set up.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1368063770.683119.jpg

Reefing is like a box of chocolates, you never know whatcha gonna get!

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most pumps should handle this no problem. All you need is a trickle. Use RO/DI type tubing. Check out dosing pumps.

OP
OP
Flatbrook

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I run it directly off my RO pressure? I have very high water pressure, about 60psi feeding my RO/DI. Want to instal a solenoid that is triggered by a float switch and reef keeper controller.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I run it directly off my RO pressure? I have very high water pressure, about 60psi feeding my RO/DI. Want to instal a solenoid that is triggered by a float switch and reef keeper controller.

You mean the output of the RO? I have heard of people doing this. I supposed it could work. Get an actual auto-shutoff though for the RO and basically use your tank as the reservoir. Only issue would be making RO for water changes.

BTW: The float switches for ROs are designed to go through the reservoir via a drilled hole. They are not clampon style. That might be an issue.

Last edited:

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy this and you're good to go:

Auto-Top-Off System - UPLC-II Liquid Level Controller

It can pump ridiculous distances and wont back siphon. Been using mine for 5 years now with no issues. You'll find it's one of the best ATO out there.

This way you're not fooling around with hooking your RO to the tank, which is dangerous and bad for the RO/DI (turning on/off constantly).

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectrapure UPLC-II. It will suck up to 25 vertical feet or pump up to 60 feet high no problem. I have my ATO storage in my garage 35 horizontal feet away from my sump where the UPLC is located so it pulls water from the garage. It has many safeties built in and you can vary the pump rate in 10 steps or the level anywhere between 1/10" and 4" by tenths of an inch. It uses a digital sensor so no problems with thinsg like snails etc. like float switches may encounter and no failing, dripping/leaking and flooding like float valves.

Auto-Top-Off System - UPLC-II Liquid Level Controller

http://spectrapure.com/manuals/UPLC_MANUAL.pdf

OP
OP
Flatbrook

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spectrapure system looks awesome. Possibly something to invest in down the road. For now,,, basically all I need now is a fairly inexpensive pump that is capable of a 10 foot head. I have a 35 gal RO resivior, a fluid solenoid that I am going to trigger from a reef controller. All I need is a pump. Trying to make this a DIY. Thanks.

OP
OP
Flatbrook

Flatbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a magnetic fountain pump with 9' head, pressure valve, and check valve for around $55 at my local bigbox. For that $$, it's worth a shot.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back