Long time Lurker coming out!

Corbett Douglas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

As far as introductions are concerned, I have been lurking around for a couple of years now, just reading and taking in the advise that this forum has to offer its members.

I have been experimenting with salt water aquariums for about 10 years now, some of my tanks have succeeded while others have not.

I am a high school science teacher, and have used many tanks as learning opportunities for my students. The hard part is that I have moved to three different schools and number 4 is coming up next year. I keep moving to get closer to my own community and children.

Each time I move, the tanks, as expected struggle. I have had a small 40 gallon tank going for about 4 years now with two Snowflake Clowns and three blue damsels. I have had the blue damsels for 6 years now and have transferred them through a few different tanks, those suckers are HARDY! My clowns I have had for almost 2 years.

My favorite tank is a 250 gallon, but it has not been set up for a year as I knew I was transferring schools and did not want to set it up temporarily. This will be my final school and I will set all tanks up and specialize each of them.

I am a fan of clown fish and anemones. They also make it easy to talk about biology with the students when I can show the symbiotic relationships associated with them.

I am looking forward to developing my tanks and understanding as I progress into this addiction.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Wtr2r19.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Clownfish.gif

I’m glad that you decided to engage with this amazing community!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! Nice to have you out of the shadows. I'm sure you will enjoy the interaction. Sounds like you have a lot of experience setting up tanks. Looking forward to seeing your next in-class build. The fact that you are able to utilize your reef keeping abilities to expand the minds of young people is AWESOME!!

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

My first real introduction to saltwater was in middle school. I had a science teacher that had a few tanks. I got to build a FW 10 gallon out and was responsible for the care and maintenance. HE also had a 20 gallon with some life he collected from a trip to Florida. I remember how cool it was. This is back maybe 1978 timeframe. He had what I remember was some sort of goby, some snails and crabs....and some seaweed. The lighting then was terrible and the seaweed died off...and so did the snails... and crabs. I think the goby went carpet surfing at some point. I remember when it got set up....and the "ocean like" smell it had. The older it got...the funkier it got...and as stuff died off.... yeah... it was pungent... I guess it left a lasting impression on me... ;)

Thank you for being a teacher and all that you do. IMHO teachers don't get enough credit and support for what they do. Thanks for joining R2R....if you were close by, I would gladly donate some corals to your build out.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and it is nice to you officially with us.

I'm sure many appreciate your molding of preadult minds to the scientific world of the past present and future with the example of your being a 'fan of clownfish and anemones' and articulating the importance.

Thanks for all you do for our children and the future ahead of them.

We would love to see some pics. :)

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. I still consider my self a lurker and pop in now and again for so knowledge. I love that you have tanks in your classroom, it really stays with the kids. My middle school science teacher had all kinds of tanks in the classroom and she was by far my favorite teacher.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back