Longnose hawk fish with mandarin

Cole nelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,I have had successfully owned a green mandarin goby for over a year in my 50 gallon reef tank. However, a buddy of mine offered me one of his fish from his 40 gallon reef.. a longnose hawk fish. I have loved these fish and always seen them to Be an interest, and have considered purchasing this species before. However I find that this fish is a small carnivorous fish and I am worried if this addition would compete with my mandarin for copepods. I have very good luck with my mandarin and don’t want to test my luck. Any information or suggestions are appreciated

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,I have had successfully owned a green mandarin goby for over a year in my 50 gallon reef tank. However, a buddy of mine offered me one of his fish from his 40 gallon reef.. a longnose hawk fish. I have loved these fish and always seen them to Be an interest, and have considered purchasing this species before. However I find that this fish is a small carnivorous fish and I am worried if this addition would compete with my mandarin for copepods. I have very good luck with my mandarin and don’t want to test my luck. Any information or suggestions are appreciated

I have found that long nose Hawks don't really eat copepods. Wrasses may be more of a competitor for these. I have a Mandarin and a long nose hawk now for a couple years with no issues.

Hawks will eat larger meaty foods that Mandy's just don't eat. You should have no problems with both!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back