Looking for an ID on this

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It a Xenia how many of you got this right? Yet you're scolding me over boiling them off rocks.
I don't really recommend doing it because it smells very badly.
But it is an option if you know your corals.
I think your taking this harshly and over reacting. You have no idea what else is on that rock and I'm sorry but giving advice to boil a rock out of a reef tank is irresponsible IMO. Your welcome to disagree but no one's "scolding" anyone. So many things can go wrong and with so many other options to cook the rock why even r eccomend boiling and possibly putting your household at risk?

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin the only threat...
Ok, Let me correct myself for not going into detail.
Do not boil the rock unless you're 100% sure it only Xenia.
That better for ya?
I prefer scrubbing it off but since it so toxic wouldn't that release the poison into the water and kill them?
lol!

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
237e73485339c3d8aae6d36ebd5aa93f.jpg

I'm going to attempt to get the thread back on track...

Cincy, are the stalks of the coral mostly or entirely individual like they are in the top left? That would verify if it's an anthelia species. I can likely get it down to species from there.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin the only threat...
Ok, Let me correct myself for not going into detail.
Do not boil the rock unless you're 100% sure it only Xenia.
That better for ya?
I prefer scrubbing it off but since it so toxic wouldn't that release the poison into the water and kill them?
lol!
Clearly scrubbing is the same as boiling. We're just trying to be informative and nobody has time for drama so boil what you want. Many other things on live rock is what we're saying. Happy reefing

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It a Xenia how many of you got this right? Yet you're scolding me over boiling them off rocks.
I don't really recommend doing it because it smells very badly.
But it is an option if you know your corals.

I think what people reacted to was that it's not really responsible to give that as advice on a forum and for a specific situation that you don't have all the facts about.
It's a bit like handing out recipes for explosives on a public forum with the byline "well it's quite safe if you know what you're doing".

OP
OP
cincyreef

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to attempt to get the thread back on track...

Cincy, are the stalks of the coral mostly or entirely individual like they are in the top left? That would verify if it's an anthelia species. I can likely get it down to species from there.

I won't be boiling any rock don't worry lol. I've been around this hobby long enough to realize that's not a safe route imo. I will try to get a pic tonight once lights go out, and I'll post it up. I believe its all individual stalks entirely, but I'll take that pic to be sure. Thanks for all the help guys, and gals!

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be boiling any rock don't worry lol. I've been around this hobby long enough to realize that's not a safe route imo. I will try to get a pic tonight once lights go out, and I'll post it up. I believe its all individual stalks entirely, but I'll take that pic to be sure. Thanks for all the help guys, and gals!
Check out A. Glauca if the stalks are individual or have a matt/basal connecting tissue. That's more or less the species imported for aquariums, but others can sometimes be found. The length of the arms can vary depending on environmental conditions, but the spacing of the secondary arms seems to be in alignment with what I've seen on glauca. Plus Anthelia is one of the Xeniid genera that typically don't pulse in captivity.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then this forum needs shut down.
Because no one knows anyone exact circumstances...
You all are one to talk i can pick through each one of your posts and show you multiple examples and bad info that been recycled from the masses.
I love/hate this forum so much misinformation out.
No one gonna die for one.

OP
OP
cincyreef

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all are one to talk i can pick through each one of your posts and show you multiple examples and bad info that been recycled from the masses.

I respect your opinion. I’m just choosing to not boil any rock. Thanks

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And yet somehow it's the one who tells me that he knows all the answers and everyone else is wrong that I tend to disbelieve.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet somehow it's the one who tells me that he knows all the answers and everyone else is wrong that I tend to disbelieve.

Ok, I must of hit a nerve.
It is hard being this smart understanding how everything works and having a solution.
I often give advice thinking people are on my level when they're not i guess my expectations are high while everyone else are low.
I have a hard time accepting this argument even valid because i mentioned you can boil a rock with Xenia on it they're not toxic somehow turned into this ticking contest.
Idc about your feelings tbh i stated straight facts and people turned it into some plan that I'm trying to kill people with bad advice lol.
You're all so petty get a life.
I'm unfollowing say as ya will smart ones that can't ID a xenia.

Last edited:

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cincyreef, I am sorry there are so many people being rude on your thread. I've never seen something like that on these forums. I still think your tank is beautiful and even if you don't get rid of the stuff, it is still very pretty. I firmly believe in taking it super slow with reef tanks, so take your time and research, which is what you were trying to do when the hijacking occurred. Clearly people have strong opinions about boil vs don't boil, so that is a decision not to be taken lightly. In the mean time, you can scrape it back and rinse it well so not to cause it to spread more while you research. And as for what it is... I am not the most experienced but I believe it's a form of clove polyp. It could still also be some kind of xenia or even a Myrionema hydroid/pom pom hydroid. I know my urchins ate my clove polyp. I do not know any sure fire way to rid a tank of the other 2 as I have not researched them. Good luck on your endeavors and ignore the egos and negative nancys. Happy reefing!

OP
OP
cincyreef

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cincyreef, I am sorry there are so many people being rude on your thread. I've never seen something like that on these forums. I still think your tank is beautiful and even if you don't get rid of the stuff, it is still very pretty. I firmly believe in taking it super slow with reef tanks, so take your time and research, which is what you were trying to do when the hijacking occurred. Clearly people have strong opinions about boil vs don't boil, so that is a decision not to be taken lightly. In the mean time, you can scrape it back and rinse it well so not to cause it to spread more while you research. And as for what it is... I am not the most experienced but I believe it's a form of clove polyp. It could still also be some kind of xenia or even a Myrionema hydroid/pom pom hydroid. I know my urchins ate my clove polyp. I do not know any sure fire way to rid a tank of the other 2 as I have not researched them. Good luck on your endeavors and ignore the egos and negative nancys. Happy reefing!

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. Most in here have always been helpful so I won’t let it bother me. I am keeping the urchin idea in my back pocket for now too. I was talking with someone at my lfs this weekend about them ordering one for me. For now I’ll scrub I think. Here are some pics with lights off for those wanting to see them closed. I took two, one with flash, one without. Seem like individuals to me. Thanks again for all those trying to help.

b1813761cf2c7461e006858577aa96cf.jpg
d779a4a68d0ada9b65ccc2386770555c.jpg

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of my tux urchins wearing a crown of Galaxia star polyp. I haven't decided if he's saving it for later or using it as camouflage. Both my urchins wear a hat like this and one of them has a chunk of pulsing xenia as the "feather". They are fun to watch and even if it doesn't eat the pesty stuff, they are great algae eaters.
e1a5ea99da8b523d0b18199626cf4074.jpg

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, base looks more like a clove now that I can see it entirely. (Not Anthelia like i suggested earlier) They usually have a fairly tough tissue on the lower half of the stalk. Have you tried pulling them off? Sometimes they come off if you grab them right at the base with tweezers and pull with a peeling motion.

OP
OP
cincyreef

cincyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget all the BS about boiling water as this is not what this discussion is about...I believe that you have some sort of clove polyp. I personally like it and have it in my tank but if you are looking to rid the evasive coral, take a read at this... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eliminating-blue-clove-polyps-with-fenbendazole.308994/

I have read through that thread, and that's what I would like to try. However, finding that fenbendazole isn't going to well lol. Anyone know where to find it?

Yeah, base looks more like a clove now that I can see it entirely. (Not Anthelia like i suggested earlier) They usually have a fairly tough tissue on the lower half of the stalk. Have you tried pulling them off? Sometimes they come off if you grab them right at the base with tweezers and pull with a peeling motion.

I have not tried to pull any yet. I will give it a shot though.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through that thread, and that's what I would like to try. However, finding that fenbendazole isn't going to well lol. Anyone know where to find it?
I'm not very versed in this subject myself, but it is intriguing. My issue with this treatment is that I have too many other soft coral that it would kill off. The trade off doesn't make sense to me in my particular case.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back