Looking for postcards

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is kind of a long story, but on December 30th 2018 the life of my son changed drastically in a period of about 3 hours.

My 13 year old son was at his mother’s house and at about 5:30PM he offhandedly mentioned that his hand felt kind of funny, like it was asleep. No one thought too much of it and a little while later his mom asked him to do some chores. He said that he felt like he couldn’t get up off of the couch. His mom thought he was just being lazy and told him that he needed to get moving. He managed to get up, but he was very unsteady as he walked and kept bumping into things. As this point she started to get concerned and decided to take him to the hospital. They got to the hospital at about 8:30PM and at that point he could no longer feel or move anything below his shoulders.

They ran a number of scans and tests at the hospital and then at about 3:30AM they transferred him to a large childrens hospital in Orlando. He spent most of January in the hospital, including two weeks in the ICU and was diagnosed with AFM, which is a reasonably new and rare disease. There were less than 200 cases in the US last year.

After the hospital he spent several weeks at an inpatient rehab hospital and now he’s home with his mom. Over the last few months he’s been slowly regaining some movement and sensation in his hands and arms. He’s not quite at the point where he can feed himself yet, but recently he’s been able to move enough to be able to push buttons on a TV remote and to be able to touch his face when it itches. This is actually a pretty huge quality of life improvement for him and the people taking care of him. For quite some time literally needed someone by his side 24/7 because he couldn’t do anything for himself. He needed someone to feed him, someone to scratch his face when it itches, someone to change channels on the tv for him, etc. He also now has a powered wheelchair that he can control with his head which also helps give him a little bit more independence.

We are still not sure exactly how much he will regain, but we know he has a very long and hard road ahead of him. The doctors believe that he will continue regaining some movement and sensation over the next year, but no one can really say exactly how much he will get back. They also say that after a year patients typically plateau, so whoever he is at the beginning of 2020 is likely where he will stay.

Through all this we are extremely thankful that he is getting movement back in his arms and hands. Some people with this disease remain a quadriplegic and having the ability to control his arms and hands is pretty huge. We are also very thankful that the disease didn’t progress any further. It’s very common for the disease to interfere with breathing and some patients need to be on a breathing machine. Luckily he never went that far.

We are very hopeful that we will continue to see more gains with his hands and arms and we really hope that he will start to get control over his legs as well. Just today while we were at the neurologist’s office we believe that we may have seen a little voluntary twitch in his right leg, which is the first time that we’ve seen any voluntary movement in his legs at all.

So with that background, one of the things that he really enjoys is getting postcards from around the country and around the world. His aunt had posted my address asking for postcards a few weeks ago without telling us and over two or three weeks he got 20 or 25 postcards in the mail. Seeing the pictures of different places and reading the little notes people wrote always made him smile.

So if you’re still reading this and have a few minutes to send a post card I know that he would be really happy to receive them. His name is William and postcards can be sent to this address:

William S
1096 Stillwater Ave
Deltona, FL 32725

Thanks much:)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad, #mods, let's get this going and make the little fella's day :)

Thanks @nautical_nathaniel ! I'm not exactly sure why I didn't think of calling more attention to this thread with the "#whoever" feature. I suppose this is what happens on 3 hours of sleep for the past two days! Anyway, thanks again!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your son that is heartbreaking, I’m in a similar situation.. my 15 year old daughter came home from school and said she was having a hard time holding her pen that day like her hand was asleep, we also noticed she seemed unsteady.. a trip to the ER reviled she had MS. She’s 30 now has only use of her hands/arms so she is mostly dependent on us for everything.. trying to maintain a positive attitude and hope for the future is the most important thing for you and your son, I still get up every day hopeful for improvement or a cure for her and so does she.

OP
OP
B

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your son that is heartbreaking, I’m in a similar situation.. my 15 year old daughter came home from school and said she was having a hard time holding her pen that day like her hand was asleep, we also noticed she seemed unsteady.. a trip to the ER reviled she had MS. She’s 30 now has only use of her hands/arms so she is mostly dependent on us for everything.. trying to maintain a positive attitude and hope for the future is the most important thing for you and your son, I still get up every day hopeful for improvement or a cure for her and so does she.

That’s such a scary thing to go through. I hope and pray for the best for your daughter and your family.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
B

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this for the first time! I am sorry to hear what happened but also encouraged to hear that he is regaining strength and mobility. Please tell your mail carrier to get ready! Tell William we're praying for him and behind him!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...r-giveaway-be-one-of-the-first-to-own.588226/

I am completely speechless right now. I’m honored that you decided to do this for William and knowing that there will be more postcards on the way for him is very encouraging to me.

I joined reef2reef a few years ago and I met you and a number of other reef2reef members at the WWC meet and greet after the 2018 Reefapalooza in Orlando last year. This has always been a great community of people and I’m honored to be a part of it.

OP
OP
B

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given how much this thread is blowing up right now I wanted to add a couple of pictures near the top so you guys can see who you’re supporting and sending postcards to. Here is William with some of his therapists. He still can’t stand on his own (or even move his legs at all), but they have a special machine that can help lift him up into a standing position and they can then manually move his legs to help keep his muscles from atrophying.

8c6f29a1d3ed5bd41d401eb39845b6ae.jpg

fea51d4a07586efd89fea371f0f812bd.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Given how much this thread is blowing up right now I wanted to add a couple of pictures near the top so you guys can see who you’re supporting and sending postcards to. Here is William with some of his therapists. He still can’t stand on his own (or even move his legs at all), but they have a special machine that can help lift him up into a standing position and they can then manually move his legs to help keep his muscles from atrophying.

e02d88e16ae37d6248e6b1eb037f2137.jpg

He looks like a fighter!!!

OP
OP
B

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks like a fighter!!!

Yeah, he really is. I honestly can’t even imagine what he’s going through... to go from being totally normal to being unable to move your arms and legs in less than 3 hours is more than I can even comprehend. The fact that he still has a positive attitude and still pushes every day at therapy is amazing to me. If this had happened to me I truly don’t think I would be able to handle it half as well as he has.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fea51d4a07586efd89fea371f0f812bd.jpg

A fighter for sure!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back