Lost clownfiah

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS definitely doing more than most so that is good! It will be impossible to ever know if they do full treatments or just enough copper to keep parasites at bay. You only get this sort of quality control when you do it yourself. Metro would treat for Uronema so that is good. Most LFS seem to only use a low dose of copper so seeing that they use prazi and metro is pretty cool!

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to keep monitoring but so far everything else is looking healthy. Fingers crossed

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update again. I talked to my lfs today where the clown was purchased a talked about thier QT process. They treat with metroplex, Prazipro, copper and medicated food for 4 weeks before anything goes for sale. Not sure if that means anything for uronema, but was glad to hear that. I also looked at the system where the clown came from and saw no signs of anything on any of the other fish in the system including other clowns, angles, chromis, ect. Let me know what you guys think!

To treat Uronema with Metro it must be done at the double dose and fed to the fish. To keep costs down most LFS run a sub therapeutic dose just to keep fish looking good. Unfortunately that’s bad for us because when you bring that fish home into a sterile tank that gives the few parasites that survived time to multiply and infest the fish. That’s why every thread in here starts off with “I bought this fish 4 days ago he looked good so I put him in my DT and now everyone is dying”.

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to keep monitoring but so far everything else is looking healthy. Fingers crossed
Can I ask how your fish are? I had a case where one chromi had uronema. I put him in my main tank not realzing it for about a day and half. Pulled him out immedietly, but worried about my clown and damsel in my display tank

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask how your fish are? I had a case where one chromi had uronema. I put him in my main tank not realzing it for about a day and half. Pulled him out immedietly, but worried about my clown and damsel in my display tank

There are only two real options, try to manage it with excellent water quality and highly nutritious foods. This may work or it may not and in a week or month you may start losing fish, or you may never. This could also possibly limit the types of fish you can stock as some are more succeptible to it then others. (Chromis, Anthias,Pygmy Angels, clowns, Wrasse,etc).
The other option is a complete tear down and bleaching of everything wet.

Last edited:

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only two real options, try to manage it with excellent water quality and highly nutritious foods. This may work or it may not and in a week or month you may start losing fish, or you may never. This could also possibly limit the types of fish you can stock as some are more succeptible to it then others. (Chromis, Anthias,Pygmy Angels, clowns, Wrasse,etc).
The other option is a complete tear down and bleaching of everything wet.

Well can I ask you mentioned metro. I have API general cure coming in the mail. Right now my clown and yellow tail damsel seem fine. If I start dosing with metro today or tomorrow and api general cure today should that have a fighting chance at killing off the disease?

When you say excellent water quality youre talking about parameters such as salinity, ammonia, ph, nitrate nitrite and temp right?
And for nutrious food what do you recommend. I do some frozen omnivore mixes and I use omega one marine pellets

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well can I ask you mentioned metro. I have API general cure coming in the mail. Right now my clown and yellow tail damsel seem fine. If I start dosing with metro today or tomorrow and api general cure today should that have a fighting chance at killing off the disease?

When you say excellent water quality youre talking about parameters such as salinity, ammonia, ph, nitrate nitrite and temp right?
And for nutrious food what do you recommend. I do some frozen omnivore mixes and I use omega one marine pellets

If you QT the fish and treat with metro in the water column and in their food then you could treat the fish. The problem lies in the tank, especially if you have rock because there are so many places a parasite could be and not reached by Metro. This is a free living parasite that requires no host to survive. All it takes is for one parasite to survive in your tank and you would be actively infected again.
There have been discussions on wether or not this is present in most environments and that our fish (healthy) can fight it off. The only true method at this time that I’m aware of to eradicate Uronema is a complete tear down and sterilization. This includes the rock and realistically new sand.

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you QT the fish and treat with metro in the water column and in their food then you could treat the fish. The problem lies in the tank, especially if you have rock because there are so many places a parasite could be and not reached by Metro. This is a free living parasite that requires no host to survive. All it takes is for one parasite to survive in your tank and you would be actively infected again.
There have been discussions on wether or not this is present in most environments and that our fish (healthy) can fight it off. The only true method at this time that I’m aware of to eradicate Uronema is a complete tear down and sterilization. This includes the rock and realistically new sand.

I see thanks.
For treating the water, could this be used ?https://www.petmountain.com/product...iJs4LV_hmc_6pr5dgOQc1BrwNwOcoP_saAhnSEALw_wcB

By just dosing it into the tank?

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you planning on doing? Eradication of Uronema or management?

End goal I dont want my clownfish or damsel to die, and dont want to have to sterilize 200 dollars worth of live rock and sand.

Eradication or management either one is fine. As of now, just the chromi I euthanized yesterday had symptoms, everyone else seems okay.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End goal I dont want my clownfish or damsel to die, and dont want to have to sterilize 200 dollars worth of live rock and sand.

Eradication or management either one is fine. As of now, just the chromi I euthanized yesterday had symptoms, everyone else seems okay.

If you’re not going to sterilize your tank then treating existing fish would do nothing since they will go back into an actively infected tank. I would just do your best to get your fish as healthy as possible.

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re not going to sterilize your tank then treating existing fish would do nothing since they will go back into an actively infected tank. I would just do your best to get your fish as healthy as possible.

True true,

went to the lfs to pick up some metro. the lfs said it looks more like a fluke and offered me some hikari prazi pro. (I bought the metro as well) what do you think https://kingkapoor.imgur.com/all

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True true,

went to the lfs to pick up some metro. the lfs said it looks more like a fluke and offered me some hikari prazi pro. (I bought the metro as well) what do you think https://kingkapoor.imgur.com/all

Your link isn’t working. If you suspect flukes then do a 5 min FW dip. You should see opaque sesame seed looking things come off.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True true,

Most LFS I’ve been to around here either don’t know about Uronema or don’t want to believe it’s in their tanks. They will tell you they had the fish for 3 weeks with no problems whatsoever. The problem is they keep their fish in sub therapeutic levels of meds keeping these parasites in check until you get them home into unmedicated water. The parasite then has free reign to multiply and take over a fish who’s immune system is low from the stress of going home with you.

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS I’ve been to around here either don’t know about Uronema or don’t want to believe it’s in their tanks. They will tell you they had the fish for 3 weeks with no problems whatsoever. The problem is they keep their fish in sub therapeutic levels of meds keeping these parasites in check until you get them home into unmedicated water. The parasite then has free reign to multiply and take over a fish who’s immune system is low from the stress of going home with you.

Thanks man. Ill do my best to make sure everything lives. Will keep you posted. Really hoping the one day in the tank didnt let the uronema live for too long.

*Is there any harm on just keeping my fish on constant meds and feeding them garlic enriched food? Metro was really cheap for my budget. Dont mind soaking their food in it every few days and doing daily garlic food to keep their immune systems up.

In about 6 months I will be changing homes anyway and at that point will have to give up the fish.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed them metro+focus for 14 days but because the tank is infected I don’t think it will do any good.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back