lostninja's Waterbox 90.3 Build Thread

lostninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sooo.... first time ever doing any kind of build log on a forum, so we'll see how this goes.

Been in the aquarium hobby a few years now. Started mostly with the "went to petco, got a tank and fish" mistake, excitedly called a friend who's been in the hobby many years, and quickly learned I was doing everything wrong. Over the next couple years, I got very heavily into high tech nano/pico freshwater planted aquariums, and while I had some that didnt work out, I had some (one especially) that just worked and I enjoyed that success for a few years - bred blue velvet shrimp in it, had some tetras, clown killis etc. End of last year - same friend offered me a bunch of frags, a tank, sand, etc if I wanted to do saltwater. Over the next couple months, did way too much research ordered a Waterbox Cube 10 for a really good price, got a kessil A80 tuna blue, and got to work. Ive had that tank now just over a year, and shipping this week is my new Waterbox Marine X 90.3. I've spent the last many months ordering parts (had a red sea reefer 250 I bought used that I was going to set up, decided to sell that and order the Waterbox), so heres the list of what I have so far, and where I plan to go! Ill update with photos once I have time to take some decent ones and start getting things more assembled. Currently most things are scattered in our "fish room" awaiting the new tanks arrival.

Main Tank:
  • Waterbox Marine X 90.3
  • (2) Kessil A360WE w/Gooseneck (already owned/gifted the mounts, will upgrade to rigid mounts later)
  • (2) AI Nero 3 - considering adding a Nero 5 as well
  • AquaForest AF Rock (will be held together w/ E-Marco 400 (pink))
  • MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia 1 1/2” Spheres
  • CaribSea Fiji Pink Sand
Sump:
  • Reef Octopus Octo Sump 24 (bought this when I had the Reefer 250 and found that it had come with a leaky sump, decided to keep it for this build as well)
  • Reef Octopus Varios-4
  • Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS
  • Skimz MBR127 Macro Algae Reactor
  • Klir DI-4 Filter Roller
  • Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
  • Going custom with red PVC with dark grey fittings
  • BRS 200W heater+controller
Mixing Station:
  • Custom made by stacking two 26 gallon tanks from Tractor Supply Co. in a closet in the same room as the main tank. Ran a cold water line into the closet under the house to directly connect the RODI system, and added a drain line from the closet to out the side of the house for the RODI flush.
    • I'll be following EatSleepReef's recent tutorial on the retractable hose so I can easily fill my tank during water changes, and will use a Python hose to pull water out of the tank and into the bathroom sink in the same main living area.
  • BRS 5 Stage Premium RODI system
  • Hydor Seltz D 750 GPH Pump
Fish etc:
  • (2) Clowns - one is a designer, no clue what kind though
  • handful of snails
  • Elephant Sea Slug (if I can find him in the current tank)
  • handful of rock flower nems if I can get the to unleash themselves from their current rocks
Corals (current list):
  • A few hammers (gold, pink and green tip)
  • purple tip frogspawn
  • bi-color frogspawn
  • green plate coral
  • superman blasto (I think)
  • unknown acan
  • couple of unknown clove polyp's
  • few different leathers
Future Fish etc: (trying to focus on utilitarian species mainly)
  • (1) Yellow Eye Kole or TominiTang
  • (1) Fairy Wrasse
  • (1) Firefish
  • (1) Basslet
  • (1) goby/shrimp pair
  • (?) Peppermint Shrimp
  • (?) blue legged hermit crabs
  • (?) tiger conch snails
  • (?) nassarius snails
  • (?) variety of other snails maybe
  • What else should I look into adding?

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like you have a really nice tank with a lot of great accessories! I am a Reef Octopus fan and also have an OCTO sump. The one thing that I didn't see listed and you may want to consider is a heater with a Inkbird heater controller. Good luck!

OP
OP
L

lostninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have a really nice tank with a lot of great accessories! I am a Reef Octopus fan and also have an OCTO sump. The one thing that I didn't see listed and you may want to consider is a heater with a Inkbird heater controller. Good luck!
I totally forgot about that - I went with the BRS heater+controller. Ill add that to the list - thanks!

OP
OP
L

lostninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on the e-marco 400 to mortar this thing up

129426317_144615560360382_1497236903232743659_n.jpg 120199795_4385737278165741_145038891112143535_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lostninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rock scape is very nice. I always have to include a clownfish in my setups.
Thanks! Yeah its actually my first reef scape (someone else actually did my nano scape for me) so Im pretty stoked on how it turned out. I've been telling myself (and my wife) the big tank is "for the clowns to have a bigger home" :D

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is the flow with 2 nero 3's? i was planning on doing the same ..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back