Loud/Rattling MP60 fix

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Figured I’d post this in case anyone runs into a similar issue. I recently installed a new MP60 on my tank and it was vibrating more than I thought at speeds above 50%. I had moved it to a new in tank location and the vibration and noise were worse than before. I looked around and just found the typical adjustment advice in terms of the wet side but none of it helped. I finally pulled the MP60 off and disassembled the wet side. What I found was this sticky “gunk” all around the white impeller shaft base (see photo). Maybe this is residual “lubricant” from the shaft? Sure didn’t feel like it since it was more like a sticky rubber. In any case, I cleaned all this garbage off the wet side and remounted everything.
wow. What a difference. The pump is absolutely silent now even at speeds over 75%, where it was noticeably vibrating before even during best of times. So if you are having issues with vibration be sure to check your wet side assembly for whatever this stuff is and clean it off.
IMG_1216.jpeg
IMG_1215.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back