Low PH problems (7.2!!!)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk should not have risen. That suggests the alk measurement is in error, either the first one or the second one, or both.

Simple aeration with indoor air will raise the pH if it really is that low, unless your air is so dangerously high in CO2 that it risks your own health.

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk should not have risen. That suggests the alk measurement is in error, either the first one or the second one, or both.

Simple aeration with indoor air will raise the pH if it really is that low, unless your air is so dangerously high in CO2 that it risks your own health.
I didn't test the alk after the aeration test, should I have done that?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't test the alk after the aeration test, should I have done that?

No. Sorry. I confused the new salt water alk result with the tank alk result.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what the ammonia, nitrate and phosphate levels are? I have had low alk and ph in my tank and did not see any negative affect on my fish but every tank is different.

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect it is most likely your pH measurement is reading lower than reality. But the indoor air test will help understand.
Indoor air test aerating for one hour took the PH from 7.3 to 7.5

test strips still reading scale low so I can probably say those are wrong (not that i'd ever trusted them by themselves, and that one makes sense since they got left out a bit) but im out of salifert tests so I only have the electronic meter now.

Not sure what to do about getting a proper measurement if its just wrong. For now, i took the lid off and opened a nearby window (though that'll get tough in winter...), not sure how i can add any more aeration than I already have in the tank already

Can I ask what the ammonia, nitrate and phosphate levels are? I have had low alk and ph in my tank and did not see any negative affect on my fish but every tank is different.
Ammonia alert is showing 0, test strips showing 0 nitrate, but I haven't tested phosphate since its just a small fish-only quarantine and I do large weekly water changes I assume its near zero as well.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an electronic PH meter
Two questions - which type of pH meter do you have - can you take a photo or give a link to ot

You did a 2 point calibration - was it between 4 and 7 or 7 and 9(10)?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two questions - which type of pH meter do you have - can you take a photo or give a link to ot

You did a 2 point calibration - was it between 4 and 7 or 7 and 9(10)?

Sincerely Lasse
It was 4.01 and 6.86, pH meter is something like this
Screenshot_20231120-004904~2.png

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20231120-004904~2.png
I had exactly that ph pen. I threw it in the garbage. It's supposed to auto detect the calibration solution and it always chose the wrong one ( lower if I recall). Couldn't figure out how to make it see the correct solution so I tossed it.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, yes! How did you know that XD
I felt the vibes ;)

No I kidding - I use a web browser and there is always some facts about the poster - like this

1700409022536.png

And here is mine - the other part of the world

1700409085036.png

I ask because here in southern Sweden - outside Gothenburg and our outdoor air content around 420 ppm CO2 - Compared with your heavy industrialized region its a rather pristine environment - outside Gothenburg. Industrial town - but only around 500 000 inhabitants. I would guess that your air content a little bit more CO2 compared with my outdoor air. But - nevertheless - you should been closer to 8 even with mote polluted outdoor air as Randy point out

I´m sorry to say - these are not the best but you should calibrate between 7 and a higher value (mostly 9 or 10) when you measure above 7.

Normally it should be the blue labeled buffert powder that is 9 or 10 standard - but in your picture - both red and blue label say 4.01 - check the manual

Your measured pH value is probably too low - but as Randy state - the test shows that you need more aeration

By the way - if I in winter time does the same test - the max pH differ around 0.1 pH - as yours. We are two adults and a cat and 0 degree C outside, but if our grandchildren visit us - it drop 0.1 more!

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt the vibes ;)

No I kidding - I use a web browser and there is always some facts about the poster - like this

1700409022536.png

And here is mine - the other part of the world

1700409085036.png

I ask because here in southern Sweden - outside Gothenburg and our outdoor air content around 420 ppm CO2 - Compared with your heavy industrialized region its a rather pristine environment - outside Gothenburg. Industrial town - but only around 500 000 inhabitants. I would guess that your air content a little bit more CO2 compared with my outdoor air. But - nevertheless - you should been closer to 8 even with mote polluted outdoor air as Randy point out

I´m sorry to say - these are not the best but you should calibrate between 7 and a higher value (mostly 9 or 10) when you measure above 7.

Normally it should be the blue labeled buffert powder that is 9 or 10 standard - but in your picture - both red and blue label say 4.01 - check the manual

Your measured pH value is probably too low - but as Randy state - the test shows that you need more aeration

By the way - if I in winter time does the same test - the max pH differ around 0.1 pH - as yours. We are two adults and a cat and 0 degree C outside, but if our grandchildren visit us - it drop 0.1 more!

Sincerely Lasse
Yeah I hadn't considered air quality from being in the city haha. But I don't think its too bad here.

My PH meter only came with two calibration solutions for 4.01 and 6.86, but tbh i think its kinda garbage (It keeps measuring only a couple specific numbers its Suspicious lol) so I bit the bullet and bought a more expensive one with better reviews, I hope that will give me more clarity. That one comes with three calibration solutions including a higher one.

In any case, even the meter now is reading 7.6 or so, and I opened a window a little so I am at least not freaking out as much about things dying.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hadn't considered air quality from being in the city haha. But I don't think its too bad here.

My PH meter only came with two calibration solutions for 4.01 and 6.86, but tbh i think its kinda garbage (It keeps measuring only a couple specific numbers its Suspicious lol) so I bit the bullet and bought a more expensive one with better reviews, I hope that will give me more clarity. That one comes with three calibration solutions including a higher one.

In any case, even the meter now is reading 7.6 or so, and I opened a window a little so I am at least not freaking out as much about things dying.
You got any borax?

gminton86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check the calibration of your refractometer for salt it might be telling you the salinity of the water is 1.024 when really its more like 1.020 and that might be why both the PH and Alkalinity are off at the same time. Get some calibration fluid from bulk reef supply.

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am guessing the fact that the pH meter isn't calibrated to anything above 7 might be a problem. But also having poorly buffered water can result in both pH swings *and* mess with some test results. What kind of salt are you using? Some of them don't have much in the way of alkalinity under the assumption you'll be dosing calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser).

OP
OP
Kiara_Pyrenei

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing the fact that the pH meter isn't calibrated to anything above 7 might be a problem. But also having poorly buffered water can result in both pH swings *and* mess with some test results. What kind of salt are you using? Some of them don't have much in the way of alkalinity under the assumption you'll be dosing calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser).
I'm using the red sea blue bucket.

Though overall, it seems that I might just have low salinity overall? cuz its been mixing up with low alk and calcium, so it might be a refractometer calibration issue. And someone helped me realize i'd been measuring out low amounts of salt to begin with

Sadly, wasn't able to find salinity calibration fluid here in japan, my LFS just told me to use RODI water, so i've ordered some from the US and have to wait a month.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, i don't see lowish salinity leading to low pH, unless alk is low.
Additionally, salt mixes don't generally impact the pH of an operating reef tank, unless you allow them to impact the alkalinity in a significant way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back