OP
OP
RaddReef319

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a webpage called pH control for dummies that says that you can lower your pH in a reef tank with vinegar, lemon juice, or a commercial pH reduction product. I wonder how long one can dose vinegar in a reef tank before it becomes toxic.

OP
OP
RaddReef319

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm adding some aragacrete and I'm thinking it's going to end up raising my pH some. It's been cycling in fresh water for 1.5 months but I still think it's going to raise my pH some, I'm thinking about using pH 8.4 buffer.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you adding to what size tank? Maybe you don't have to do anything at all. I would rather wait and see if the ph goes up before adding buffers or chemicals.

OP
OP
RaddReef319

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an aragcrete background, it's probably around 10 pounds in a 75 gallon tank. I'm hoping that it won't affect the pH too much. It actually looks really nice and was alot of work so I hope it works out and I don't have to rip it out.

kateater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cure in salt water before you add it to the display it will spike again and leach silicates.

OP
OP
RaddReef319

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cure in salt water before you add it to the display it will spike again and leach silicates.

How long does the spike normally last? The aragacrete will be in the tank (saltwater) for 4 weeks before I add anything. Can't I just do a water change and skim for silicates?

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the ph of the water its in? I've added crete rock that still had a ph of 8.7 and it never changed the tank at all. Try a piece or two if your ph starts rizing take out and soak it some more. 1.5 months might not be enough. co2 will lower ph. a slightly higher ph crete rock will usually form coraline algaes faster also.

JR,

OP
OP
RaddReef319

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the ph of the water its in? I've added crete rock that still had a ph of 8.7 and it never changed the tank at all. Try a piece or two if your ph starts rizing take out and soak it some more. 1.5 months might not be enough. co2 will lower ph. a slightly higher ph crete rock will usually form coraline algaes faster also.

JR,

I'm using aged water from a friends gigantic show tank. I think it's pH is around 8.0-8.2. If I take the crete out will the pH drop or stay elevated until I do a water change or something?

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on the buffers in the water. But I can't say I really don't know the answer to that , sorry.

JR,

OP
OP
RaddReef319

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ok. I'm just going to set it up and then test the pH in a week or so and see where it's at. If it's too high I'll just have to take it out and cure it longer. Maybe I can do a water change and add some pH buffer to balance the tank.

Back