Lucky To Have One Tank As It Is

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As the title says I am lucky enough to have one tank as it is (I have a 60 gal cube with a 18 gal sump).

I will be getting some new fish in my tank here soon. I would really love to have a QT tank but a QT tank to my wife is just another tank. So with the circumstances I am in QT is not an option.

What is the best way for me to make sure I am not going to be putting any sick fish in my DT? All my fish come from SeaDwelling Creatures. I know they take good precautions on their fish but I want to make sure I am safe.

I plan on doing FW dips on all my new fish but is there any other suggestions?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Sorry, even if your not medicating, its still a dump and hope.

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do have talks with the wife, make sure she approves it to go somewhere 10 feet or more from your main tank to avoid aerosol transmission. This is important.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First step would be explain to your wife why you need to quarantine. After you explain why she will probably be more open to it. Additionally find some ways to disguise them somewhere or keep them somewhere out of sight if it's really an issue.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be all about how it's explained. Make sure that certain things are understood, such as:
quarantine tanks aren't forever
they actually save money because you're not constantly replacing livestock
that it would be like sending a child into a room filled with measles and then acting surprised when the child catches the measles
it's cruel to not do whatever you're capable of doing to prevent the pain and suffering of another living thing

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ All great advice above, especially how quarantine tanks aren't forever. Once no longer needed, a QT and all equipment can be stowed away in a garage. Out of sight, out of mind. ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back