Ludnix's 50g Cube

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! I’m re doing my 50g Leemar now. Thinking about moving all the sps out and making it an euphylia dominated tank or mushroom/softie tank. Haven’t decided yet.

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only two gobies remaining, I suspect one might have escaped through the top of the tank at one point as there were no signs of it dying or decaying. The sixline wrasse is the biggest aggressor in the tank though it will stand down if the other fish hold their ground.

The gobies are headed for the 120g after it gets new sand added to it. They will have room to grow even larger and hopefully spawn in the future.

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! I’m re doing my 50g Leemar now. Thinking about moving all the sps out and making it an euphylia dominated tank or mushroom/softie tank. Haven’t decided yet.
Would love to see it! I think I want to do a nutrient heavier setup and see what other gorgonians I can keep. This mystery one is doing well and grows readily enough that I have already fragged it a few times. I have never kept them before though so I had a lot of trepidation on my ability to keep them in a mixed reef. The success in here makes me want to see what it could be like with them as the focus.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see it! I think I want to do a nutrient heavier setup and see what other gorgonians I can keep. This mystery one is doing well and grows readily enough that I have already fragged it a few times. I have never kept them before though so I had a lot of trepidation on my ability to keep them in a mixed reef. The success in here makes me want to see what it could be like with them as the focus.
I have seen a friend with the thick finger gorg and it grows well. My other gorg the thin purple finger one and the orange non-photsenthetic with the white polyps always do well for 6-8 months and then they fail. I like them but I feel so bad when they die.
I really like mushrooms and large Palys so I think I’m going to do that with pulsing Xenia

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180713_153914.jpg
I got the 120 roughly plumbed up and added some sugar fine sand. The fish are getting less shy and seem to be settling into the new rock work. I still want to remove a bit more rock but was hoping to move it to the 50g when it's setup.

I was thinking about plumbing the 50g to share the 120's sump. Maybe the 50g could be a display refugium instead of the anemone tank idea? I think the AI 26HD could pick a great spectrum for viewing and good algae growth and a shared sump might mean a little less equipment needed. The 50g would be on the other side of the partition wall the 120g is against so I would need to cut a small passthrough.

Anyone have any thoughts on that idea?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking about plumbing the 50g to share the 120's sump. Maybe the 50g could be a display refugium instead of the anemone tank idea? I think the AI 26HD could pick a great spectrum for viewing and good algae growth and a shared sump might mean a little less equipment needed. The 50g would be on the other side of the partition wall the 120g is against so I would need to cut a small passthrough.

Anyone have any thoughts on that idea?
This could definitely work. You could honestly do either option...either the nem tank or fuge...and either one could be really cool!

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some issues with the JBJ Auto top off pump the 120 came with and had no top off working for a few days while I was gone and lost a few montiporas. I replaced the unit with my DIY kit from the 50g and it's been smooth sailing since. I still need to take some photos of the sump for this setup!

10/29/18
120 Gallon FTS
FTS.jpg

SIDE.jpg

anemones.jpg

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Wrasse-cal! He and the yellow tang were so shy when I first got them. The foxface is eating out my hand now but that yellow tang is still extremely skiddish. I have never seen such a shy yellow tang when they can normally be such bullies.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How's the reef doing?

OP
OP
ludnix

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the reef doing?
Thanks for the bump Rev! I forgot to update this thread with a link to the current thread, with a new tank and new fish room build I started a new thread:

20200628_133830.jpg

20200705_172435.jpg

I've got some fun updates to share in the new thread once I'm done processing the images!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back