Lumenbar daisychain?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to have 1 power chord for 2, 3, or 4 lumenbars? I have seen people buy adapters and do this with other lights before, possible with the bars without loss of performance?

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the socket Amp rating (probably 10A or 16A here in europe) Multiply by voltage and you get power x 110V = 1100W
Now however you split it is on you.
I would multiply my load by 5% for every extension cord in between load and socket if I'm really pedantic.
Use high quality 'fat' wired extension cords especially if you are above 50% of rated load.
Also keep in mind that 10 or 16A rating is for the circuit to the breaker in the breaker box - if multiple socklets use the same breaker ... well you have only one 10 or 16A circuit for all those sockets.
For a reef tank I highly recommend wiring up at least 1 dedicated circuit (eu aka 230V) or 2(US 120V) with a dedicated gfci breaker in the breaker box (well I guess gfci sockets also work but here in EU we use gfci breakers in the breaker box)

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning electrics or are upgrading you might want to look into switched power distribution modules like these:

and if you really want to go all out and are not afraid of little electric engineering you could consolidate most of your DC reef power needs under 1 or 2 quality AC-DC PSU's (somethign like https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=UHP-500(R)).
You can plugin 1 5W 12V load into a 1000W 12V psu and it will be just fine or you can plug in many in parallel. Only voltage and not exceeding PSU max rating matters. (F* those proprietary 150$+ power bricks...)

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15A 120v 1800 watt is standard US outlet and I'm assuming I have that. I think these strip draw like under 100w each. I was going to get 4 of them so one outlet should be fine. Is this what you mean?

Should I just take the 4 plugs from the 4 separate LED strips and connect them to one beefy power strip and have that one 1 timer? Is probably the best way right?

DancingWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15A 120v 1800 watt is standard US outlet and I'm assuming I have that. I think these strip draw like under 100w each. I was going to get 4 of them so one outlet should be fine. Is this what you mean?

Should I just take the 4 plugs from the 4 separate LED strips and connect them to one beefy power strip and have that one 1 timer? Is probably the best way right?
~400W for one socket if that is all on the circuit is plenty. Question is: what else is on the same circuit linked to the breaker. Find which breaker shuts down the socket you will be using .. then shut it down and check what else is shut down and what else will be using and add them up. 400W is not much but it is persistent. Be wary especially for things like electric kettles (though IIRC not a big thing in US ), toasters, microwaves, heaters.

Also if your house is old check if your wiring is copper or aluminium. If it has aluminium wirings consult electrician how to 'safetify' it.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Apex power supplies do this depending on light length. 1 x power supply per 48/60", 1 x for every 2 36", 1 x for every 3 24"

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the socket Amp rating (probably 10A or 16A here in europe) Multiply by voltage and you get power x 110V = 1100W
Now however you split it is on you.
I would multiply my load by 5% for every extension cord in between load and socket if I'm really pedantic.
Use high quality 'fat' wired extension cords especially if you are above 50% of rated load.
Also keep in mind that 10 or 16A rating is for the circuit to the breaker in the breaker box - if multiple socklets use the same breaker ... well you have only one 10 or 16A circuit for all those sockets.
For a reef tank I highly recommend wiring up at least 1 dedicated circuit (eu aka 230V) or 2(US 120V) with a dedicated gfci breaker in the breaker box (well I guess gfci sockets also work but here in EU we use gfci breakers in the breaker box)

These are not AC powered. You need a DC converter to power these.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back