Lurch72's 350 Reefer build

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about the other issues that you're facing. The #reefsquad folks should be able to help you out. I had a bunch of issues with my QT and adding new fish in the past, and could be any number of things. Glad that the Gramma ended up showing its face, at least :D . Most of the little fish are REALLY good at hiding.

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about the other issues that you're facing. The #reefsquad folks should be able to help you out. I had a bunch of issues with my QT and adding new fish in the past, and could be any number of things. Glad that the Gramma ended up showing its face, at least :D . Most of the little fish are REALLY good at hiding.

My wife fed the QT a few minutes ago and text me to let me know the remaining two ate like pigs, so that's at least positive.

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I now feel like I own a reef tank. I bought a LPS/softie pack, 16 frags, from a fellow R2R member. Much larger than the frags available locally. They arrived on Friday, got a dip and went in to the tank. I've got everyone on the sand for now acclimating to my lighting. Here are a few pics:

20190908_123257.jpg
20190908_123414.jpg
20190908_123336.jpg
20190908_123344.jpg
20190908_123353.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! The new frags are looking amazing! How long before you start moving them up?

I'll probably let them acclimate at least two weeks on the sand and see how they do. They all seem to be doing well and are happy with the Reef LED 90s.

I'm not loving my Gyre at the moment though. It's at the lowest setting and still giving some of my corals more flow than they want. Also, it's always just in one direction which looks unnatural and I don't know if that's good for the corals. I may have to look at switching them out with multiple wave makers to get more control.

OP
OP
L

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate to hear about the gyre - hope you can figure out a solution for it :(

Thank you, I believe I have. Even though my gyre doesn't have the reversed pitch impeller installed, through much experimenting I found that operating it in reversing gyre mode, coupled with strategic aiming of the return pump nozzle might be the ticket. I played with up/down times and flow rates until I found something that really seems to be working. The reverse setting seems to break up the flow in the tank just enough. I now get something of a wave surge, coral is moving in different directions and nothing is getting hammered. I'm now seeing much better polyp extension on the corals like my frogspawn, that didn't seem to like the previous flow.

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I believe I have. Even though my gyre doesn't have the reversed pitch impeller installed, through much experimenting I found that operating it in reversing gyre mode, coupled with strategic aiming of the return pump nozzle might be the ticket. I played with up/down times and flow rates until I found something that really seems to be working. The reverse setting seems to break up the flow in the tank just enough. I now get something of a wave surge, coral is moving in different directions and nothing is getting hammered. I'm now seeing much better polyp extension on the corals like my frogspawn, that didn't seem to like the previous flow.
That's great! Glad to hear that you figured something out that'll work.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back