Lympho on yellow tang?

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
I'm relatively new to the hobby and that's my first thread here... looking for some help to identify what is on with my Yellow Tang.

Since a week I had my baby Yellow Tang that is about 2 inches now, I noticed a little whiteish spot on his dorsal fin. A month has passed now, and it seems like the spot got a little bigger. It's the only spot, and the fish eats/acts completely normal.

My tank is running for about 6 months and the Tang was the last addition. PH is set at 8.2, salinity 1.023, temp 74°, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and nitrate has never passed 40ppm since I'm pretty religious with weekly or byweekly 30% water changes. It's a 75gallon 4 feet long, with 2 clown and 2 chromis, and some small Euphylia and zoa corals. Please don't be too harsh on the topic tang-on-a-75g :) the little guy was my wife's love at first sight and we are ready to get him a bigger tank when the time comes.

Can that spot be the Lymphocystis virus? He doesn't seem stressed at all and eats like he has never eaten before. I didn't want to put him through freshwater dips and get his immune system even lower if that's not necessary.

Thank you for any input

20171210_103511.jpg

20171210_193318.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed.

Looks like Lymphocystis - and it also looks like you're taking great care of this guy, so I expect the issue to resolve just fine.

Welcome to Reef2Reef! Set a spell, and make yourself at home - but be warned ... this place can be addictive!

~Bruce

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! Appreciate the quick support and how nice you all are, definetely makes it much easier for us getting started on the hobby. Glad to know I'm on the right track at least and that he will probably be fine - and also good to confirm the little suspicion I had on the HLLE even though that's something I don't understand for sure how to get rid of.

He eats lots of nori every day and also some flakes that are leftover from the clowns, and mysis shrimp twice a week. Can that be considered a food diversity good enough to cross malnutrition out of the HLLE possible causes list? I will check for stray voltage and definetely research better carbon options.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That food is decent in diversity ... you might consider adding something like Selcon or Zoecon as supplementation, and possibly one or more of the primo blended foods like LRS or Rod's Food. Your fish will reciprocate by being more beautiful and amazing than they already are.

~Bruce

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share the experience in case somebody else is having the same problem: after a couple of weeks the "bubble" on my tang's fin trippled in size, which scared the heck out of me, although is seems to have burst and completely disappeared. Now everything is fine on the tank again... just hang on and keep your fish as much comfortable as possible seems to work fine!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share the experience in case somebody else is having the same problem: after a couple of weeks the "bubble" on my tang's fin trippled in size, which scared the heck out of me, although is seems to have burst and completely disappeared. Now everything is fine on the tank again... just hang on and keep your fish as much comfortable as possible seems to work fine!
Glad everything is well. I experienced my first “bubble”’on a fish a couple weeks ago but it came in went in 24-48 hours. @HotRockTarBaby and I share quarantines and his Achilles tang had a bubble that popped/vanished and the fish is fine. Strange!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad everything is well. I experienced my first “bubble”’on a fish a couple weeks ago but it came in went in 24-48 hours. @HotRockTarBaby and I share quarantines and his Achilles tang had a bubble that popped/vanished and the fish is fine. Strange!
Very odd, glad to hear yours is better @m3rcfh

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back