Macro ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter boehm742
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2010
Messages
932
Reaction score
135
Location
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these two Macro algaes that are growing in my nano. Could i get an ID on them?
1st one is purple/red with little balloon looking shapes.
2nd is green with small leaves and is growing like crazy.
Im asking for an ID on them. If indeed they are beneficial id like to put them in the refugium of the 55 upstairs.
IMG_1127.jpg
 
Red bubble algae and some sort of caulerpa. The caulerpa is good. Try to get rid of the red bubble algae. Try getting a few emerald crabs.
 
That caulerpa grows like a weed, it pretty much is. You'll be yanking it out by the fist full when it gets going.
 
That is Sawblade Caulrepa, I have it in my tank and it is extremely bad. The only thing that I have found that eats it is a Sailfin Tang. I have tried crabs, urchins, sea hares, everything. The Red Bubble Algae isn't so bad but can become a nuisance and take over.
 
I've now dried rock from four tanks because of that crap (I've been calling it razor caulerpa). I tried cooking some rock once for about 8 months and it still came back (same with Tulip Anemones). I had a Scribbled Rabbitfish that devoured it, but then it turned on my acans and zoas...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new