Macroalgea Reactors & Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS,

I have a question that no one seems to be addressing. But it's two fold, we know that refugiums work for nutrient control. But my question is, how well do macro algea reactors work for those that can't get a feasible refugium like those of us using Red Sea Reefers? And also would a macro algea reactor work with the Triton method vs a refugium and would it have to be oversized as well?

Also side note if possible.

Pros vs Cons of different branded macro algea reactors and DIY.

1. DIY
2. Pax Bellum
3. Skimz

This is just something I would really love to see, as I have red sea reefer tanks and the refugiums would require a new sump and possibly skimmer as I would have to downsize my skimmer.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dabbling in the Triton method and just bought a Skimz algae reactor, the smaller one. I tried a reefdreams UK refuge baffle for my RSR 250 and didn't like it. It collected too much detritus and I didn't want to clean it because it would've been a pain. I'm going to try the Skimz in the RSR 25o and see how it goes. I'm going to set up my Reefdreams baffle as a fish corral in the sump to isolate fish when I need it. Put some eggcrate on top.

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dabbling in the Triton method and just bought a Skimz algae reactor, the smaller one. I tried a reefdreams UK refuge baffle for my RSR 250 and didn't like it. It collected too much detritus and I didn't want to clean it because it would've been a pain. I'm going to try the Skimz in the RSR 25o and see how it goes. I'm going to set up my Reefdreams baffle as a fish corral in the sump to isolate fish when I need it. Put some eggcrate on top.

Hmm, The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a macro algea reactor yet. Is because I saw the Skimz is good but gets cooled by the water which concerns me a little, as keeping water cooler is easier than heating it because of our heaters. That's why I was looking at the Pax Bellum, but they aren't cheap and are hard to find.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a macro algea reactor yet. Is because I saw the Skimz is good but gets cooled by the water which concerns me a little, as keeping water cooler is easier than heating it because of our heaters. That's why I was looking at the Pax Bellum, but they aren't cheap and are hard to find.
The pump for the reactor should make up some lost heat. I liked the Pax for the external-to-sump factor but then it gave me sticker shock. The reason I went with the smaller Skimz since two will fit (footprint) in the skimmer section of the RSR 250 sump and two bigger ones won't (I run an external skimmer.) If one makes a big enough difference, I'll probably get a second.

Last edited:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump pic for algae Rx thread.jpg

As you can see I have enough room for two algae reactors.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't have the recommended size refugium, then you would probably use the "other methods". This is what I'm doing with an undersized fuge until I upgrade my sump to the new trigger triton sump. The core7 triton method and "other methods" are almost identical (about 99% the same), the only difference is the regular version has elevated elements to boost macro algae growth and the "other methods" doesn't.

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have the recommended size refugium, then you would probably use the "other methods". This is what I'm doing with an undersized fuge until I upgrade my sump to the new trigger triton sump. The core7 triton method and "other methods" are almost identical (about 99% the same), the only difference is the regular version has elevated elements to boost macro algae growth and the "other methods" doesn't.

Agreed, but my question would be why not the normal? Since you would still be growing the chaeto at an accelerated rate?

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of “other” was for when you wanted to rely on a different nutrient export like water changes or carbon dosing etc. But if you use a macro algae reactor would a smaller reactor be more efficient than a large refugium ultimately allowing you to run the core vs other with just using a reactor instead.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the Triton method is letting the macro sit until it breaks down and releases back into the water for corals. From this aspect a reactor would not work.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back