Magnesium

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really made a conscious decision to run my tank closer to natural sea water, yet I do.

My friend and I are talking about differences between his and my tanks
I mentioned how his colors are just a little more vivid and he mentioned he runs his magnesium through the roof.

thoughts ? Photos are my parameters and my tank.
Tank is 9 months old

284F5C82-D306-47C5-A0D9-9CF06A49F374.png 8542EF92-D6BE-4209-8736-ED101E1A10D2.png F810365B-80CB-4779-AFAF-35A0897E6EFD.png

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great looking tank for 9 months! I try to keep my Mg at ~1350. You might want to try keeping your NO3 a little higher---go to high single digits for a couple months, then increase to low teens if you're not seeing the coral growth/color you want and are not seeing troubling algae growth. I keep my PO4 a little higher than you (~0.1 - 0.07). If you're not already doing it, you could add reef roids or the like a few times a week. That could help with your NO3/PO4 levels and also with other nutrients that your corals need. Some (like me) would say slightly higher Alk and Ca would be a good idea, but others would disagree.

OP
OP
Rjmul

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great looking tank for 9 months! I try to keep my Mg at ~1350. You might want to try keeping your NO3 a little higher---go to high single digits for a couple months, then increase to low teens if you're not seeing the coral growth/color you want and are not seeing troubling algae growth. I keep my PO4 a little higher than you (~0.1 - 0.07). If you're not already doing it, you could add reef roids or the like a few times a week. That could help with your NO3/PO4 levels and also with other nutrients that your corals need. Some (like me) would say slightly higher Alk and Ca would be a good idea, but others would disagree.
I feed 10 times a day. Nutrients are definitely going into the tank.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always shot for over 1400 mostly for stability. The past couple years it's been more like ~1450. I can honestly say I've never equated colors to high Mag. My limited research has usually come back to stability coupled with decent levels of Nitrate/Phosphate. I'd be curious to hear what other acro keepers are running their Mag at.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag is always north of 1500, it's just how IO mixes. Never worried about it as we used to raise MAG to 1600+ with a certain product to combat bryposis with 0 negative effect.

I have never noticed any difference in color to my acros no matter where my MAG level was.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mag is always north of 1500, it's just how IO mixes. Never worried about it as we used to raise MAG to 1600+ with a certain product to combat bryposis with 0 negative effect.

I have never noticed any difference in color to my acros no matter where my MAG level was.
Which product did you use to combat the bryopsis…asking for a friend

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which product did you use to combat the bryopsis…asking for a friend

He's talking about Kent Marine Tech M Magnesium. Back in the day, before Kent changed their formula, a high dose of their magnesium would kill bryopsis.....and it had to be Kent's. Whatever mystery ingredient that was in there has since been removed and so it no longer kills bryopsis.

If you're having a problem with bryopsis simply use fluconazole....it's a miricle drug that kills bryopsis. It's now sold under a number of fancy-pants marketing names.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's talking about Kent Marine Tech M Magnesium. Back in the day, before Kent changed their formula, a high dose of their magnesium would kill bryopsis.....and it had to be Kent's. Whatever mystery ingredient that was in there has since been removed and so it no longer kills bryopsis.

If you're having a problem with bryopsis simply use fluconazole....it's a miricle drug that kills bryopsis. It's now sold under a number of fancy-pants marketing names.

The 1 time I tried flucozanole I lost a couple of my favorite Tenuis….and many other high end collectors had losses after it as well. So thanks, but no thanks.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is an interesting thread. I went back to this because I was tuning my own mag as it was in the 1350s. I recall reading about benefits to high 1400-1500 alk, but inconclusive. But what the heck. Cost $12 dollars worth of Mag (Aquaforest 750g) to raise 150 ppm in a 180g. $12 not going to break any bank, but shows how much mag it really takes to raise levels.

And I thought a decade ago IO mixed high, but they've moved it down significantly targeting NSW. Truth behind this is likely cost. Mag appears to be the more expensive element to dose compared to Ca, ALk etc. Takes a crap-ton to raise Mag and it's not cheap in scale. 750grams to raise 150ppm!!

I'm spot on at 1500 per Salifert. Been here a couple months and no real benefits, but plus is this doesn't deplete much in a reef. So raise it and it should stay there awhile. FYI for anyone that may be interested in raising Mag just for the hell of it. =)

IO Mag @ 1320:

OP
OP
Rjmul

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting thread. I went back to this because I was tuning my own mag as it was in the 1350s. I recall reading about benefits to high 1400-1500 alk, but inconclusive. But what the heck. Cost $12 dollars worth of Mag (Aquaforest 750g) to raise 150 ppm in a 180g. $12 not going to break any bank, but shows how much mag it really takes to raise levels.

And I thought a decade ago IO mixed high, but they've moved it down significantly targeting NSW. Truth behind this is likely cost. Mag appears to be the more expensive element to dose compared to Ca, ALk etc. Takes a crap-ton to raise Mag and it's not cheap in scale. 750grams to raise 150ppm!!

I'm spot on at 1500 per Salifert. Been here a couple months and no real benefits, but plus is this doesn't deplete much in a reef. So raise it and it should stay there awhile. FYI for anyone that may be interested in raising Mag just for the hell of it. =)

IO Mag @ 1320:
Notice any difference in coraline ? What alkalinity is IO mixing at nowadays

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I checked IO Mg numbers numerous times over the past year and it's consistently 1260-1280 range. NSW is 1280.

Here is a recent test I did a week ago. I mix for 24 hours. Alk is Hanna tester and all the others are Salifert

At SG- 35----

K- 405
Alk- 8.5
Calc- 420
Mg- 1260

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been a month for me at 1500, but I never had a shortage of coralline running for years at 1350. Matter of fact.. too much that I'm always scraping. I like the back glass black to contrast the coral so have always scraped once a week.

According the IO's web site link above, they claim 1320. However @Big E reported 1260-1280. That's more inline with the theory that salt makers don't produce higher Mag salt products to keep cost down. I use red sea blue bucket because I dose. And that comes out consistently at 1320. I have ReMag chips in my CaRX which I think is why I'm measuring closer to 1350 before tweaking that 150pm to 1500. I really don't think this is one of those elements that has hard additional benefits, but "why not" since the big boys do.

Cyphastrea Cocktail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always shot for over 1400 mostly for stability. The past couple years it's been more like ~1450. I can honestly say I've never equated colors to high Mag. My limited research has usually come back to stability coupled with decent levels of Nitrate/Phosphate. I'd be curious to hear what other acro keepers are running their Mag at.
Keeping mine higher also. Colors are vivid however, i feed reef roids and oyster feast.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's only been a month for me at 1500, but I never had a shortage of coralline running for years at 1350. Matter of fact.. too much that I'm always scraping. I like the back glass black to contrast the coral so have always scraped once a week.

According the IO's web site link above, they claim 1320. However @Big E reported 1260-1280. That's more inline with the theory that salt makers don't produce higher Mag salt products to keep cost down. I use red sea blue bucket because I dose. And that comes out consistently at 1320. I have ReMag chips in my CaRX which I think is why I'm measuring closer to 1350 before tweaking that 150pm to 1500. I really don't think this is one of those elements that has hard additional benefits, but "why not" since the big boys do.

To clarify, that was a test I did in Feb. I believe at other times I've tested in the low 1300 range.

I tested yesterday with a fresh mix of IO at 1290 with a brand new test kit.

I have never added Mg and have used IO for close to 30 years. It never depletes in my system........... water changes keep it at least above 1280 which is NSW.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, that was a test I did in Feb. I believe at other times I've tested in the low 1300 range.

I tested yesterday with a fresh mix of IO at 1290 with a brand new test kit.

I have never added Mg and have used IO for close to 30 years. It never depletes in my system........... water changes keep it at least above 1280 which is NSW.
Pretty much the same for me.

Used IO for many years, and have never added magnesium. Always around 1300. Never been an issue.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back