Magnet Suggestions for Stand Skin

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put a temporary skin around my tank. Was thinking using some smoked acrylic sheets. Or some other type of plastic material. I have a steel stand.

Would these work if I superglued them to the acrylic? Anyone have a better suggestion?

https://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Di...2813&sr=8-11-spons&keywords=thin+magnet&psc=1

I say this is temporary... like a year or two temporary so I want it to look somewhat decent. :)

Would a thin magnet that is countersunk with a hole be better so I can put a bolt through the acrylic and put a nut on the outside? I'm afraid the glue magnets will pull off at some point. Any bright ideas?

Thanks!

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the tank.
5a7430ae3bc5cc66a9e1df0ee79f6e1a.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual... it depends.

3M is making some amazingly good adhesives these days. As long as the surround is supported by the floor, or a ledge, something along the bottom edge, and all the magnets are doing is to hold the panel in place, not supporting it's entire weight... I bet they'd be fine. The epoxy coating would likely keep away corrosion...

Yeah, I'd try it :)

If it doesn't work, nothing wasted... you've not damaged the panels, they can always be altered for a different manner of attachment, if needed.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used extra strength double sided tape 3M brand I believe on mine and these doors are no light weights either. 1 Magnet each corner...and it works fine. If they do pull of...no big deal just find another adhesive, but mine have been fine. Just clean both surfaces well with alcohol before sticking tape.
IMG_7431.JPG

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used extra strength double sided tape 3M brand I believe on mine and these doors are no light weights either. 1 Magnet each corner...and it works fine. If they do pull of...no big deal just find another adhesive, but mine have been fine. Just clean both surfaces well with alcohol before sticking tape.
IMG_7431.JPG

Thanks for the pic. Do you have a handle to pull them off the front or just get your fingers in between?

I could plastic dip these and bolt them on to the skin. That way they wouldn't fall off.

https://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Cou...k+coated&psc=1

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No handles. I just get the edge of my finger tip at the top and it is enough...I love the clean look...I got the panels at IKEA and they are actually some cabinet doors. This is before I was finished with the wood trim across the front....And yes, you certainly can screw them on and then definitely no concerns with the adhesive...as a matter of fact if I do have issues with the adhesive, I will go that route next. I'm not sure what the plasti-dip would do to the holding strength though...you could just spray a thin layer of clear coat on them if you are concerned with corrosion. I didn't coat mine though...I guess time will tell if I should have! Good luck...the tank looks great!
IMG_7642.JPG

OP
OP
ReeferBean

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No handles. I just get the edge of my finger tip at the top and it is enough...I love the clean look...I got the panels at IKEA and they are actually some cabinet doors. This is before I was finished with the wood trim across the front....And yes, you certainly can screw them on and then definitely no concerns with the adhesive...as a matter of fact if I do have issues with the adhesive, I will go that route next. I'm not sure what the plasti-dip would do to the holding strength though...you could just spray a thin layer of clear coat on them if you are concerned with corrosion. I didn't coat mine though...I guess time will tell if I should have! Good luck...the tank looks great!
IMG_7642.JPG

Thanks. Looks great. Is your fish wall art from MAD fabrications? I likey!

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I think I got it through "Front Gate" I actually just did a google search on Lookdown fish wall art....and went looking from there.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drilled/countersunk neodymium magnets are the way to go.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back