Magnets and Your Tank

Same problem with Eshopps probe holder. Contacted them by e-mail with picture. NO response. Probably not salt water safe.
 
Exactly my intent. anything can happen with plastic welds, regardless of who made them.
 
This is an embarrassing question but I use several tunze powerheads and currently their stock magnet is not strong enough to hold on my 1 inch tank. I purchased a N52 magnet to see if it would work. It is in a shape on a square prism and the side that really attracts is the "thin" rectangle side. The large square surface does not line up properly, so the magnet is semi useless. How can I avoid this in the future? thanks!
 
This is an embarrassing question but I use several tunze powerheads and currently their stock magnet is not strong enough to hold on my 1 inch tank. I purchased a N52 magnet to see if it would work. It is in a shape on a square prism and the side that really attracts is the "thin" rectangle side. The large square surface does not line up properly, so the magnet is semi useless. How can I avoid this in the future? thanks!

The magnet description should tell you which direction it's magnetized in. do you have a link for where you bought it from?
 
ok I must be dense... doesnt that mean that the poles (2x2) should attract / repel another magnet? or does the "magnetized" side attract only?

sorry, its been a long time since i was in physics..
 
ok I must be dense... doesnt that mean that the poles (2x2) should attract / repel another magnet? or does the "magnetized" side attract only?

sorry, its been a long time since i was in physics..

The 2x2 surfaces are the magnetized poles. they should attract to each other. BTW, those are insanely strong magnets so be careful!
 
ok thats what i thought. When I put the magnet next to jebao powerhead holders, it works as intended and attracts to the holder w/ the 2x2. When I place it next to the tunze inner magnet, it attracts with the side thats 1x2 and when placed w/ the 2x2 side, it pushes the magnet sideways and attaches offcenter on the 2x2 side, presumably because the real attraction is the 1x2 side. o_O
 
A seller over here in the UK puts his magnets in the little plastic coin collector disks and seals them with epoxy. Never had any issue with the epoxy my self.
Hi,
Do you know what epoxy they use? Won´t it release any substance to the water?
Regards
 
TLF mag clip...

Noticed today it has separated and must have been for a while

d110861db9bf9643ddef4e988c9e8213.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new