Male Scribbled Angels...?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of the hobby for awhile and one of my dream fish has always been the Male Scribbled Angel. Is it just me or has it been a lot harder to find them nowadays? It seems like I only see females for sale these days. Does anyone know why is that? Thanks.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Females turn into males in the right envirnoment and Males and females of this species are indistinguishable apart from males having longer gill spines, so im a little confused sorry to what you are asking, if you know all that well its likely because they start off as females and turn into males in the right social environment so females will be more commonly collected

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know that. But I rather get a determined Male already and maybe get a female for him. That was my plan.
If you get 2 juveniles one larger and one smaller, one should turn male and the other remain female, not always but most of the time it would, good look with your angelfish they look really spectacular

OP
OP
Squidward

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get 2 juveniles one larger and one smaller, one should turn male and the other remain female, not always but most of the time it would, good look with your angelfish they look really spectacular
That's another rarity to find 2 juvenile scribbled. Thanks.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's another rarity to find 2 juvenile scribbled. Thanks.
Sometimes captive bred ones are available which would make finding a juvenile easier, live aquaria sells them when they get them in, i dont know if you have live aquaria available to you however

OP
OP
Squidward

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes captive bred ones are available which would make finding a juvenile easier, live aquaria sells them when they get them in, i dont know if you have live aquaria available to you however
Yes I've ordered from liveaquaria before. I'll keep an eye out for some. I guess it's always been rarer to see Male Scribbles available. I remember seeing a male at the LFS many years ago and he was simply beautiful but at the time I didn't have the appropriate tank size for him.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I've ordered from liveaquaria before. I'll keep an eye out for some. I guess it's always been rarer to see Male Scribbles available. I remember seeing a male at the LFS many years ago and he was simply beautiful but at the time I didn't have the appropriate tank size for him.
Thats good im in the uk so i dont have it available to me so i wasnt sure lol.When you get your pair be sure to send photos lol, i hope you find some

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say males and females of this species look the same rather outside of Genicanthus they are the most sexually dimorphic of the angels with the males having both brighter and more scribbles as well as a much more elongated body shape. But as others have mentioned they likely all start as females and than change sex.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to hear how you distinguish male from female scribble angel. I have done quite some research and couldn’t find a definitive answer. If you do find out please share.
Thanks.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 scribbiled angels. Was told 1 was a male but i am wondering if smaller one because his coloring is a nicer. Still both dont have the coloration of a male yet. They are still small one is like 5 inches and the other is maybe 6. They grow real slow. i am hoping one of them change but only time will tell. thanks

152.JPG 336.JPG

Attachments

• 335.MOV
    5.1 MB

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Males scribbles are horizontal lines, females are dots or vertical lines, females are mostly black as well, do an image search and you will figure it out real fast.

Thanks. Could you post a link of the source? I seem to have a hard time finding such info on Google for some reason.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did some more research and found this, however on searching the first thing that appears states there is no differences

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back