Mandarin and Ruby Red Scooter Blenny?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Baby Ray
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2015
Messages
2,895
Reaction score
1,664
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you keep a red mandarin and a ruby red scooter blenny in a 29 gallon tank? I would dose pods monthly and I have a large fuge in my sump. I will also dose phyto to keep the pod population kind of high and I would feed them enriched baby brine shrimp daily using Paul b's mandarin target feeder.
Thanks :)
 
IMO if you use the feeder you could do it. You would need to feed them every day (as I do) but my tank is old and big so after they deplete the feeder, they can still eat. I think you should hatch shrimp twice a day
 
Can you keep a red mandarin and a ruby red scooter blenny in a 29 gallon tank? I would dose pods monthly and I have a large fuge in my sump. I will also dose phyto to keep the pod population kind of high and I would feed them enriched baby brine shrimp daily using Paul b's mandarin target feeder.
Thanks :)
Yes.
 
IMO if you use the feeder you could do it. You would need to feed them every day (as I do) but my tank is old and big so after they deplete the feeder, they can still eat. I think you should hatch shrimp twice a day
Thanks, how old should the bbs be before I feed them and how many times should I enrich them?
 
Here is my plan-
1. hatch baby brine shrimp
2. put them in a small container with a little water and small air pump putting off a couple bubbles a second (How long should/can I leave them in there?)
3. Enrich the bbs (how often and how much)
4. feed to mandarin/scooter blenny
 
I also have a few other questions-
1. could I use 2 feeders?
2. What are smaller things I could use as the feeder? (smaller than the electric tape container)
3. Can the bbs make it down the tube into the feeder ok?
4. How fine of a mesh would work best?
 
Sorry for all the questions
I always end up asking way to many and I scare everyone away :)
 
Sorry for all the questions
I always end up asking way to many and I scare everyone away :)
Question are good, do not be sorry. I am wait to see the answer also.
 
1. could I use 2 feeders?
dont need to.

What are smaller things I could use as the feeder?
use your imagination, I like to go to the dollar store or home depot.

Can the bbs make it down the tube into the feeder ok?
according to paul yes

How fine of a mesh would work best
Must be as fine as a supermodel. (actually I dont know) enough so the eggs dont come out i assume.(i just collected the parts)

FWIW I am a bad dad and never built a feeder. I had a Mandarin, a red scooter blenny (not a Ruby dragonette) and a pipe fish . I rarely added pods (hob refugium) and all ate frozen too, in my old 30g
also I do like to feed frozen mysis, all the fish like it, corals and nem too, and Im pretty sure thats why I have live mysis in my tanks now.
 
1. could I use 2 feeders?
dont need to.

What are smaller things I could use as the feeder?
use your imagination, I like to go to the dollar store or home depot.

Can the bbs make it down the tube into the feeder ok?
according to paul yes

How fine of a mesh would work best
Must be as fine as a supermodel. (actually I dont know) enough so the eggs dont come out i assume.(i just collected the parts)

FWIW I am a bad dad and never built a feeder. I had a Mandarin, a red scooter blenny (not a Ruby dragonette) and a pipe fish . I rarely added pods (hob refugium) and all ate frozen too, in my old 30g
also I do like to feed frozen mysis, all the fish like it, corals and nem too, and Im pretty sure thats why I have live mysis in my tanks now.
Thanks :)
I would try to tech both the mandarin and the blenny to eat frozen.
Would it be best to introduce them at the same time?
 
Thanks :)
I would try to tech both the mandarin and the blenny to eat frozen.
Would it be best to introduce them at the same time?
Try LRF reef frenzy for frozen.
 
Thanks :)
I would try to tech both the mandarin and the blenny to eat frozen.
Would it be best to introduce them at the same time?
probably fine. never had any aggression from either.
 
Try LRF reef frenzy for frozen.
I already feed that :)
I have heard that people have had good success with that. Is LRS still selling the fish eggs? That would be a really could food for them
 
I already feed that :)
I have heard that people have had good success with that. Is LRS still selling the fish eggs? That would be a really could food for them
Try the reef nutrition R.O.E., LRS has a partnership with reef nutrition.
 
Try the reef nutrition R.O.E., LRS has a partnership with reef nutrition.
Looks like good stuff!!!!
I am currently using reef nutrition oyster feast and my corals love it but what do you think about the phytofeast?
It seems like phyto can't live long in bottles so how does this do? Would it work for keeping pod population up? How long can it last in a bottle? How long would it take for me to go threw an entire bottle with my 29 (20 gallon sump)
 
the shrimp should be fed as soon as they are born. They start to become less nutritious as they age. Do not enrich them as you are wasting your time, the newborns do not eat and live on their yolk sack. The sack is the nutritious part.

Video,
 
the shrimp should be fed as soon as they are born. They start to become less nutritious as they age. Do not enrich them as you are wasting your time, the newborns do not eat and live on their yolk sack. The sack is the nutritious part.

Video,

Do you recall what size mesh you use?
 
+1 @Paul B And there you go, this is your best advice
 
the shrimp should be fed as soon as they are born. They start to become less nutritious as they age. Do not enrich them as you are wasting your time, the newborns do not eat and live on their yolk sack. The sack is the nutritious part.

Video,

Dang it!!!!! Now i want those blue striped pipefish. Could I also do one of those in my 29? Would my BTA possible hurt it?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new