Mandarin death

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my male spotted mandarin last night, I just bought it yesterday. No idea on the cause of death, but it was all torn up and ripped apart. I dunno if it was caused by crabs before or during death, but I don’t believe it was the scorpionfish that tried to eat it, it’s been living with a female spotted mandarin for the past few months so it probably wouldn’t have had a go at the male mandarin. Maybe the mandarin was sucked into the wave maker and spat back out, but this never happened to the female mandarin.

What I’m concerned about is if the dead mandarin released any toxins into the water after death. I haven’t noticed anything, such as cloudy water, other dead fish or a bad smell, but maybe it’s something that’ll manifest eventually?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could of been any of the causes you mentioned however yes mandarin fish do have a toxic substance they can emit. I would recommend doing a 50% water change or a few 20% water changes but if you haven't noticed any problems I don't think it released anything

OP
OP
A

Adequate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be pretty lucky if it didn’t release any toxins, the poor guy was literally shredded up. But I’ll keep an eye on the rest of the fish and the coral, if they’re still all hunky dory, I’ll know for sure.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back